Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Hi,

Attached is a draft of the release announcement for the PostgreSQL 15
Beta 1 release. The goal of this announcement is to raise awareness
around many of the new features appearing in PostgreSQL 15 and to
encourage people to test. The success of the PostgreSQL 15 GA depends
heavily on people testing during the Beta period!

Please review this announcement for feature description accuracy or if
there is something omitted that should be highlighted. Note that we
cannot highlight everything that is coming in PostgreSQL 15 (that is why
we have the release notes), but are aiming to showcase features that are
impactful and inspirational.

Please provide feedback no later than 2022-05-19 0:00 AoE[1].

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anywhere_on_Earth

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
HI,

>Attached is a draft of the release announcement for the PostgreSQL 15
>Beta 1 release. The goal of this announcement is to raise awareness
>around many of the new features appearing in PostgreSQL 15 and to
>encourage people to test. The success of the PostgreSQL 15 GA depends
>heavily on people testing during the Beta period!

Thank you. I went through it and have the following notes:
- All the links to the 15 documentation do not work (obviously)
- "regexp_substr. he", something seems to be wrong here
- "the recovery_prefetch" -> the recovery_prefetch parameter?
- A subscriber can now specify disable_on_error -> shouldn't disable_on_error be a link?
- "which users the privileges of the user" -> which uses
- "The PostgreSQL Project"  -> project?

Regards
Daniel

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Hi Daniel,

On 5/15/22 2:18 PM, Daniel Westermann (DWE) wrote:

> Thank you. I went through it and have the following notes:
> - All the links to the 15 documentation do not work (obviously)

These will when Beta 1 is released. I tested the links against `devel`.

> - "regexp_substr. he", something seems to be wrong here

> - A subscriber can now specify disable_on_error -> shouldn't disable_on_error be a link?

This is covered in the "conflicts" URL. There's not a specific anchor to
point to on this one.

> - "The PostgreSQL Project"  -> project?

This is correct as is.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I provided credits in press.git. Here
is v2 of the draft.

Please ensure any additional feedback is in by 2022-05-19 0:00 AoE.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 5/14/22 11:53, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is a draft of the release announcement for the PostgreSQL 15
> Beta 1 release. The goal of this announcement is to raise awareness
> around many of the new features appearing in PostgreSQL 15 and to
> encourage people to test. The success of the PostgreSQL 15 GA depends
> heavily on people testing during the Beta period!
>
> Please review this announcement for feature description accuracy or if
> there is something omitted that should be highlighted. Note that we
> cannot highlight everything that is coming in PostgreSQL 15 (that is why
> we have the release notes), but are aiming to showcase features that are
> impactful and inspirational.
>
> Please provide feedback no later than 2022-05-19 0:00 AoE[1].

I think there needs to be mention that plpythonu and plpython2u  are
going away and there will only be plpython3u . Especially since in
current docs it says:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpython-python23.html

"The language named plpythonu implements PL/Python based on the default
Python language variant, which is currently Python 2. (This default is
independent of what any local Python installations might consider to be
their “default”, for example, what /usr/bin/python might be.) The
default will probably be changed to Python 3 in a distant future release
of PostgreSQL, depending on the progress of the migration to Python 3 in
the Python community."

This is going to catch people by surprise. A heads up in the release
announcement will mitigate that.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
On 2022-05-18 10:24, Adrian Klaver wrote:
<snip>
> I think there needs to be mention that plpythonu and plpython2u  are
> going away and there will only be plpython3u . Especially since in
> current docs it says:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpython-python23.html
>
> "The language named plpythonu implements PL/Python based on the
> default Python language variant, which is currently Python 2. (This
> default is independent of what any local Python installations might
> consider to be their “default”, for example, what /usr/bin/python
> might be.) The default will probably be changed to Python 3 in a
> distant future release of PostgreSQL, depending on the progress of the
> migration to Python 3 in the Python community."
>
> This is going to catch people by surprise. A heads up in the release
> announcement will mitigate that.

This sounds like a good idea. :)

+ Justin

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
Valeria Kaplan
Дата:
my 5 cent
  1.  "thouh some details" (g is missing in thouh)
  2. "PostgreSQL 15 now by default logs checkpoints and slow autovacuum operations." (I'd add S in ''slows'')
Thanks,
Valeria

On 2022-05-18 10:24, Adrian Klaver wrote:
<snip>
> I think there needs to be mention that plpythonu and plpython2u  are
> going away and there will only be plpython3u . Especially since in
> current docs it says:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpython-python23.html
>
> "The language named plpythonu implements PL/Python based on the
> default Python language variant, which is currently Python 2. (This
> default is independent of what any local Python installations might
> consider to be their “default”, for example, what /usr/bin/python
> might be.) The default will probably be changed to Python 3 in a
> distant future release of PostgreSQL, depending on the progress of the
> migration to Python 3 in the Python community."
>
> This is going to catch people by surprise. A heads up in the release
> announcement will mitigate that.

This sounds like a good idea. :)

+ Justin

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Wed, 2022-05-18 at 15:50 +0100, Valeria Kaplan wrote:

>    2. "PostgreSQL 15 now by default logs checkpoints and slow autovacuum operations." (I'd add S in ''slows'')

That should be "slow".  Slowing down autovacuum would hardly be a feature we want
to advertise, but logging slow autovacuum operations is.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
Valeria Kaplan
Дата:
good point, I read it differently :)
thanks,

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 4:26 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Wed, 2022-05-18 at 15:50 +0100, Valeria Kaplan wrote:

>    2. "PostgreSQL 15 now by default logs checkpoints and slow autovacuum operations." (I'd add S in ''slows'')

That should be "slow".  Slowing down autovacuum would hardly be a feature we want
to advertise, but logging slow autovacuum operations is.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 5/17/22 10:31 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 2022-05-18 10:24, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> <snip>
>> I think there needs to be mention that plpythonu and plpython2u  are
>> going away and there will only be plpython3u . Especially since in
>> current docs it says:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpython-python23.html
>>
>> "The language named plpythonu implements PL/Python based on the
>> default Python language variant, which is currently Python 2. (This
>> default is independent of what any local Python installations might
>> consider to be their “default”, for example, what /usr/bin/python
>> might be.) The default will probably be changed to Python 3 in a
>> distant future release of PostgreSQL, depending on the progress of the
>> migration to Python 3 in the Python community."
>>
>> This is going to catch people by surprise. A heads up in the release
>> announcement will mitigate that.
>
> This sounds like a good idea. :)

I think there are other breaking changes that may also affect users,
e.g. revoking create privs from everyone except the DB owner on the
public schema (which probably has the most impact), removing exclusive
backup mode, etc. These are covered in the "breaking changes" portion of
the release notes.

The PG15 documentation also makes this pretty clear:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/plpython-python23.html

Perhaps in the GA release we add something to the announcement, but the
release announcement is geared more towards "what's new" instead of
"what's breaking".

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 5/18/22 10:50 AM, Valeria Kaplan wrote:
> my 5 cent
>
>  1.   "thouh some details" (g is missing in thouh)

This was fixed in v2; I had only posted it to -hackers and forgot to
post it here.

>  2. "PostgreSQL 15 now by default logs checkpoints and slow autovacuum
>     operations." (I'd add S in ''slows'')

I reworded this to be clearer, i.e. "...and autovacuum operations that
are slow."

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения