Обсуждение: PostgreSQL Installation

PostgreSQL Installation

От
edi mari
Дата:
Hi ,
What right way to split the PostgreSQL data between the file system (mount point) in Linux in the installation process?

Thanks
Edi Mari

Re: PostgreSQL Installation

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Thu, 2022-03-10 at 10:04 +0200, edi mari wrote:
> What right way to split the PostgreSQL data between the file system (mount point) in Linux in the installation
process?

Create your own file system for the data directory, so that PostgreSQL cannot fill the root file system.

It can make sense to provide additional file systems for "pg_wal" and the log files.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: PostgreSQL Installation

От
Ron
Дата:
On 3/10/22 02:04, edi mari wrote:
> Hi ,
> What right way to split the PostgreSQL data between the file system (mount
> point) in Linux in the installation process?

These are our mount points:
/var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data/base
/var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data/base/pg_xlog
/var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data/base/pg_log
/var/lib/pgsql/backups

Re: PostgreSQL Installation

От
Andreas Fröde
Дата:
Hi,

On 3/11/22 07:06, Ron wrote:
> On 3/10/22 02:04, edi mari wrote:

>> What right way to split the PostgreSQL data between the file system
>> (mount point) in Linux in the installation process?

> These are our mount points:
> /var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data/base

I would suggest /data instead of /data/base.

> /var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data/base/pg_xlog
> /var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data/base/pg_log
> /var/lib/pgsql/backups

That's fine from my point of view.

CIAO
andreas

Re: PostgreSQL Installation

От
Holger Jakobs
Дата:
Debian installs always include the version number and the name of the
cluster (you can have several) in the path.

example:

     /var/lib/postgresql/14/main

It's not necessary to use the base path /var/lib/postgresql though.
According to the FHS (filesystem hierarchy standard), variable data not
belonging to a human user (whose data reside under /home) should be
somewhere under /var, so /var/pgsql/14/main would also be nice.

Regards,

Holger

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL Installation

От
Nikhil Shetty
Дата:
Hi Laurenz,

Just curious, Is there any technical advantage to having additional file systems for "pg_wal" and the log files.?

Thank you,
Nikhil

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 3:14 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Thu, 2022-03-10 at 10:04 +0200, edi mari wrote:
> What right way to split the PostgreSQL data between the file system (mount point) in Linux in the installation process?

Create your own file system for the data directory, so that PostgreSQL cannot fill the root file system.

It can make sense to provide additional file systems for "pg_wal" and the log files.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: PostgreSQL Installation

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Mon, 2022-03-14 at 11:50 +0530, Nikhil Shetty wrote:
> Just curious, Is there any technical advantage to having additional file systems for "pg_wal" and the log files.?

1. avoid log files and data files from filling your WAL disk and crashing the server

2. if you are using different devices, spread the I/O load

Yours,
Laurenz Albe