Обсуждение: docs: pg_replication_origin_oid() description does not match behaviour

docs: pg_replication_origin_oid() description does not match behaviour

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Дата:
Hi

From the documentation for pg_replication_origin_oid() [1]:

> Looks up a replication origin by name and returns the internal ID.
> If no such replication origin is found an error is thrown.

However, it actually returns NULL if the origin does not exist:

    postgres=# SELECT * FROM pg_replication_origin;
    roident | roname
    ---------+--------
    (0 rows)

    postgres=# SELECT pg_replication_origin_oid('foo'),
pg_replication_origin_oid('foo') IS NULL;
     pg_replication_origin_oid | ?column?
    ---------------------------+----------
    (1 row)

Given that the code has remained unchanged since the function was
introduced in 9.5, it seems reasonable to change the documentation
to match the function behaviour rather than the other way round.

Regards

Ian Barwick

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-REPLICATION-TABLE

--
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Вложения

Re: docs: pg_replication_origin_oid() description does not match behaviour

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 10:19:41AM +0900, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> Given that the code has remained unchanged since the function was
> introduced in 9.5, it seems reasonable to change the documentation
> to match the function behaviour rather than the other way round.

Obviously.  I'll go fix that as you suggest, if there are no
objections.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: docs: pg_replication_origin_oid() description does not match behaviour

От
"Bossart, Nathan"
Дата:
On 1/17/22, 5:24 PM, "Michael Paquier" <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 10:19:41AM +0900, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
>> Given that the code has remained unchanged since the function was
>> introduced in 9.5, it seems reasonable to change the documentation
>> to match the function behaviour rather than the other way round.
>
> Obviously.  I'll go fix that as you suggest, if there are no
> objections.

+1

Nathan

Re: docs: pg_replication_origin_oid() description does not match behaviour

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 06:20:22PM +0000, Bossart, Nathan wrote:
> +1

And done.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: docs: pg_replication_origin_oid() description does not match behaviour

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Дата:
2022年1月19日(水) 10:40 Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 06:20:22PM +0000, Bossart, Nathan wrote:
> > +1
>
> And done.

Thanks!

Ian Barwick