Обсуждение: Commitfest 2021-11 Patch Triage - Part 3

Commitfest 2021-11 Patch Triage - Part 3

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
Welcome to the third installment of the CF 2021-11 patch triage, looking at the
patches which have been in four CF's and parts of the ones with three CF's.  As
per usual I might very well have misunderstood something (or many things), but
there seem to be a fair few ones which should be closeable in this CF here.

2962: Fix DROP TABLESPACE on Windows with ProcSignalBarrier?
This fixes an old bug which can prevent DROP TABLESPACE from working on
Windows.  There has been a fair bit of review and testing, by among other
myself, and I feel this patch is in good enough shape to be considered for
Ready for Committer.  There is a goalpost movement request in the thread for
DROP DATABASE support, but I think we can get this in in two commits to move us
forward.  What are your thoughts on this one Thomas?

2979: Support tab completion for upper character inputs in psql
There is broad concensus that this patch fixes a less than ideal behavior in
psql, and the patch has seen a lot of review and rework.  It currently needs a
review of the latest version, but skimming it and judging by the thread I'd say
it's close to Ready for Committer (if not already).

2942: increase size of pg_commit_ts buffers
Production use has validated this patch as fixing a performance regression, and
the patch has support from another committer.  There is mention of patch 2627
(More scalable multixacts buffers and locking) in the thread as an alternative
approach, that buffers potentially should be configurable instead.  Since that
patch seems like further out from landing, should we go ahead with this to have
at least a partial solution for 15?  Do have any plans to go ahead with this
patch Álvaro or are you awaiting results on the configurable approach?

2992: Allow batched insert during cross-partition updates
This is a follow-up to 927f453a94106 to support batched inserts of internal
INSERT commands which are used in cross-partition updates for local/remote
partitions.  The patch was after a lot of review initially marked Ready for
Committer but went to WOA after failing to apply.  Once updated it went to Need
Review which IMO is misleading given it's status and a skim so I'm moving it to
RFC again.  Georgios, having reviewed it earlier do you any thoughts on the
latest version?

2970: Set default transactions to read-only at servers start in pg_upgrade
Goalpost movement saw this patch go from read-only transactions to stopping
bgworkers from running at all during pg_upgrade.  There is agreement on the
approach, but discussion on the exact implementation (which has since trailed
off).  I have on my TODO to bring this over the finish line.

2948: Simplify some RI checks to reduce SPI overhead
Patch is being actively reviewed, has been kept up to date, and was marked RFC
back in May.  Hopefully we can close this soon then.

2968: Minimal logical decoding on standbys (take 6)
The latest revision of the patch has had feedback from Robert (and Andres)
which needs to be addressed, and the patch no longer applies (after the recent
ThisTimeLineID changes perhaps?).  I'm moving this patch to WoA for now.

2999: Catalog version access
============================
The initial patch in this thread was dismissed for not providing enough
information to solve the stated problem, but there has since been a patch
posted which performs ReadControlFile as recommended in the thread.  Vik, can
you confirm if this patch solves your original problem?

2996: Speed up verifying UTF-8
==============================
An IMO interesting approach to speeding up input validation with promising
results posted.  The discussion seem to be quite confident with the patch, but
the latest version takes out a portion of the previous patch which was deemed
overly complicated.  Heikki, are you up for reviewing this version?

2932: Partial foreign key updates in referential integrity triggers
A recently posted update from Peter indicates that this is close to being
committable, so fingers crossed.

3025: postgres_fdw: suppress explicit casts in text:text comparisons
Currently undergoing active review and receiving updates with a new version
posted today by Tom.  Hopefully it can be closed in this CF.

2947: Full support for index LP_DEAD hint bits on standby
This has potential to be a nice performance boost for a common usecase for
scalable production setups.  The patch changed course half-way through but has
since been marked Ready for Committer.  Any takers on this?

3120: Rewriting the test of pg_upgrade as a TAP test - take three
Currently this is stuck on a discussion around how to deal with test.sh and the
effects on the buildfarm.  It seems like the questions raised have been
answered, but we need to settle on how to continue.

3230: Column filtering in logical replication
This fails badly to apply, which is likely because there has been a lot of
discussion on the grammar making a new patch not really an option until
settled.  That discussion ended in late September so hopefully there is a new
version during this CF, else we'll have to close this with RwF awaiting a new
patch in a later CF.

3223: Delegating superuser tasks to new security roles
There is a lot of ongoing discussion on this one, but skimming the thread it's
not really clear (to me) where it leaves the patch in question.

3138: Support for NSS as a libpq TLS backend
I'm clearly fairly biased here but I hope that at 48 revisions in the patch is
in good enough shape to be close to RFC.  Joshua Brindle has recently picked up
reviewing it so hope we can reach somewhere for 15 with this work.

3035: Removing unused trailing linepointers from heap pages
An alternative to this was committed for 14, which led the author to change the
patch into a follow-up to that commit.  The merit and value of this second
patch is debated, with seemingly good arguments both for and against.  There
was an ask for testcases to provide evidence of correctness back in August
which has gone unanswered, so unless this moves during this CF I think we
should mark it RWF awaiting a new version of the patch.

3058: Eliminating "Permission denied" errors on stat() (on Windows)
This was committed back in July, and then promptly reverted as there were
issues with mingw.  There has since been a patch posted addressing the problem
which needs review.  Michael, having looked at the earlier version, do you feel
up for taking a look at the reworked one?

3172: Consistent use of SSL/TLS in docs
=======================================
The proposal to use SSL/TLS instead of just SSL in the docs came about after a
small discussion in the NSS thread, but it wasn't to anyones liking so the
reworked patch just adds notes that SSL and TLS are used interchangeably in the
docs.  This version is a pretty small addition that I think we should go ahead
with, but more eyes are needed to validate that.

Re: Commitfest 2021-11 Patch Triage - Part 3

От
Mark Dilger

> On Nov 11, 2021, at 2:12 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>
> 3223: Delegating superuser tasks to new security roles
patch should be close to ready.  The CREATEROLE patch may take a bit longer.

Conversation Highlights:

  - The logical replication subscription patch needs to consider RLS.
    (Jeff Davis)

    This is implemented but I still need to update the documentation before
    posting.

  - The patch for granting SET VALUE and/or ALTER SYSTEM on guc settings should
    be extended to allow revoking privilege to SET VALUE on userset gucs.
    (Joshua Brindle, Stephen Frost).

    This is implemented for core by means of converting PGC_USERSET variables
    to PGC_SUSET, with a corresponding "GRANT SET VALUE ON .. TO public" added
    to the new catalog/setting_privileges.sql file.  By making it an explicit
    grant, it is revokable without the need for any special logic.  This would allow, for
    example, REVOKE SET VALUE ON work_mem FROM public; followed by explicit
    grants to whichever roles you want to allow to set work_mem.

    I still need to adjust gucs defined in some contrib modules, update
    documentation, and verify pg_upgrade from older versions before posting.

    External projects are not harmed by this implementation.  The only issue
    for them is that SET VALUE cannot be revoked from any PGC_USERSET gucs they
    define until they update their module to use PGC_SUSET plus a GRANT
    somewhere in their extension creation or upgrade sql script.

  - The CREATEROLE patch can go forward with roles having owners, but other
    spec compliant behavior for GRANT/REVOKE should be implemented.
    (Stephen Frost)

    The bug wherein the grantor field in pg_auth_members may point to a dropped
    role should be fixed.  Probably this field should simply be dropped.  We
    don't use it anywhere, and on upgrade we can't know if existing values are
    correct or bogus.  Values that do not refer to any existing role are
    obviously bogus, but if a role Oid was reassigned, a grantor entry may be
    pointing wrongly at the new role, and there is no way to know that.

    Stephen indicated that, for all privileges, only the role which GRANTed a
    privilege should be able to REVOKE it.  This differs from the current
    implementation and is likely controversial.  Robert Haas, at least,
    described that idea as a non-starter.  I don't plan to include that in this
    patch, as it doesn't seem necessary to combine the two features even if we
    eventually intend to do both.  (And certainly unhelpful to include it if
    the idea is rejected.)

    Whether the owner of a role is implicitly a member (or admin) of the owned
    role is still disputed.  Stephen Frost would rather the owner has the right
    to grant itself into the role, or grant itself ADMIN on the role, but not
    be a member nor an admin by default.  Robert Haas preferred that the owner
    is both a member and an admin by default, making role ownership analogous
    to how superuser works.  I lean slightly in Stephen's favor, as any role
    "foo" with CREATEROLE could always run:

        CREATE ROLE bar [ ROLE foo | ADMIN foo];

    and thereby give themselves the privilege they want in the same command
    that creates the role.  Going with Robert's proposal, a creator who does
    not want to have privileges in the role would need to run:

        CREATE ROLE bar;
        REVOKE [ADMIN OPTION FOR ] bar FROM foo;

    which requires two separate commands, and creates a short window inbetween
    where a (possibly undesireable) configuration exists.

Jeff Davis and Andrew Dunstan have volunteered as committers.

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Commitfest 2021-11 Patch Triage - Part 3

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Mon, 2021-12-13 at 11:20 -0800, Mark Dilger wrote:
>   - The logical replication subscription patch needs to consider RLS.
>     (Jeff Davis)
>
>     This is implemented but I still need to update the documentation
> before
>     posting.

We also discussed how much of the insert path we want to include in the
apply worker. The immediate need is for the patch to support RLS, but
it raised the question: "why not just use the entire ExecInsert()
path?".

That's not a blocking issue for this patch, but something to consider
that will avoid problems if we want to support updatable views or
foreign tables as a target of a subscription.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: Commitfest 2021-11 Patch Triage - Part 3

От
Mark Dilger

> On Dec 13, 2021, at 10:18 PM, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
>
>>    This is implemented but I still need to update the documentation
>> before
>>    posting.
>
> We also discussed how much of the insert path we want to include in the
> apply worker. The immediate need is for the patch to support RLS, but
> it raised the question: "why not just use the entire ExecInsert()
> path?".

I went a different direction with this.  The need is to prevent non-superuser subscription owners from *circumventing*
RLS. For this patch set, I'm just checking whether RLS should be enforced against the subscription owner, and if so,
raisingan ERROR, same as for a privilege violation.  This should be sufficient in practice, as the table owner, roles
withbypassrls privilege, and superusers should still be able to replicate into an RLS enabled table.

The problem with actually *supporting* RLS is that the current logical replication implementation is a mix of different
practical(rather than theoretical) design choices.  After working to get RLS working as part of that, I became
concernedthat there may be subtle differences between how I was making RLS work in logical replication vs. how it works
forregular inserts/updates/deletes.  Rather than create a mess that would need to be supported going forward, I bailed
outand just forbade it.

As far as completeness and a clean implementation (but not performance) are concerned, using ExecInsert is quite
appealing. I think that would require reworking the logical replication protocol to send more than one row at a time,
sothat the overhead of such a choice is not paid *per row*.  That seems quite out of scope for this release cycle,
though.

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Commitfest 2021-11 Patch Triage - Part 3

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Tue, 2021-12-14 at 07:41 -0800, Mark Dilger wrote:
> I went a different direction with this.  The need is to prevent non-
> superuser subscription owners from *circumventing* RLS.  For this
> patch set, I'm just checking whether RLS should be enforced against
> the subscription owner, and if so, raising an ERROR, same as for a
> privilege violation.  This should be sufficient in practice, as the
> table owner, roles with bypassrls privilege, and superusers should
> still be able to replicate into an RLS enabled table.

I agree with this. Let's consider subscription targets involving RLS a
separate feature that is just blocked for now (except for bypassrls
roles and superusers).

> As far as completeness and a clean implementation (but not
> performance) are concerned, using ExecInsert is quite appealing.  I
> think that would require reworking the logical replication protocol
> to send more than one row at a time, so that the overhead of such a
> choice is not paid *per row*.  That seems quite out of scope for this
> release cycle, though.

Are you sure overhead is a problem? INSERT INTO ... SELECT goes through
that path. And the existing logical replication insert path does some
extra stuff, like opening the table for each row, so it's not clear to
me that logical replication is much faster.

Also, the current patch does per-row ACL checks. Did you consider
making the checks a part of logicalrep_rel_open()? That already has a
path to consider relcache invalidation, so it would also be a good
place to check if the table has RLS enabled.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis