Обсуждение: Tiny update to pg_stat_statements documentation

Tiny update to pg_stat_statements documentation

От
Greg Nancarrow
Дата:
Hi,

I noticed that the pg_stat_statements documentation doesn't include
the necessary config parameter setting "compute_query_id = on" in the
"typical usage" (so if you just used those existing typical usage
settings, the tracking wouldn't actually work).
I've attached a patch for this.

Regards,
Greg Nancarrow
Fujitsu Australia

Вложения

Re: Tiny update to pg_stat_statements documentation

От
Bharath Rupireddy
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 3:19 PM Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the pg_stat_statements documentation doesn't include
> the necessary config parameter setting "compute_query_id = on" in the
> "typical usage" (so if you just used those existing typical usage
> settings, the tracking wouldn't actually work).
> I've attached a patch for this.

+1. How about mentioning something like below?

+compute_query_id = on # when in-core query identifier computation is
desired, otherwise off.

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Re: Tiny update to pg_stat_statements documentation

От
Greg Nancarrow
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 8:06 PM Bharath Rupireddy
> > I've attached a patch for this.
>
> +1. How about mentioning something like below?
>
> +compute_query_id = on # when in-core query identifier computation is
> desired, otherwise off.

Hmm, I think that comment is perhaps slightly misleading, as
compute_query_id wouldn't be set to "off" in settings for "typical
usage".
Just saying "use in-core query identifier computation" would be a
better comment.
However, I don't think the additional comment is really warranted
here, as the other typical usage settings are not commented, and all
settings are explained in the surrounding documentation.

Regards,
Greg Nancarrow
Fujitsu Australia

Re: Tiny update to pg_stat_statements documentation

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 11:10:36AM +1000, Greg Nancarrow wrote:
> However, I don't think the additional comment is really warranted
> here, as the other typical usage settings are not commented, and all
> settings are explained in the surrounding documentation.

Good catch, Greg.  I agree to keep things simple and just do what you
are suggesting here.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Tiny update to pg_stat_statements documentation

От
Bharath Rupireddy
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 6:40 AM Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 8:06 PM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I've attached a patch for this.
> >
> > +1. How about mentioning something like below?
> >
> > +compute_query_id = on # when in-core query identifier computation is
> > desired, otherwise off.
> >

> Hmm, I think that comment is perhaps slightly misleading, as
> compute_query_id wouldn't be set to "off" in settings for "typical
> usage".
> Just saying "use in-core query identifier computation" would be a
> better comment.
> However, I don't think the additional comment is really warranted
> here, as the other typical usage settings are not commented, and all
> settings are explained in the surrounding documentation.

Thanks Greg! I agree with you and withdraw my point.

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Re: Tiny update to pg_stat_statements documentation

От
Julien Rouhaud
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 10:27:43AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 11:10:36AM +1000, Greg Nancarrow wrote:
> > However, I don't think the additional comment is really warranted
> > here, as the other typical usage settings are not commented, and all
> > settings are explained in the surrounding documentation.
>
> Good catch, Greg.

Agreed!

> I agree to keep things simple and just do what you
> are suggesting here.

+1, it looks good to me.

Re: Tiny update to pg_stat_statements documentation

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 09:46:59AM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> +1, it looks good to me.

Cool, thanks for confirming.  The top of the docs have IMO enough
details about the requirements around compute_query_id and third-part
modules, so we are done here.
--
Michael

Вложения