Обсуждение: Rounding strategy

Rounding strategy

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/functions-math.html

The 'round' mathematical function documentation doesn't specify its rounding
strategy. If this would be documented then users can rely on its rounding
behavior. For double precision the rounding probably depends on your
platform. For numeric the function seems to round to nearest with ties going
away from zero (sometimes referred to as "round half up). 6.5 -> 7.0 and
-6.5 -> -7.0.

Re: Rounding strategy

От
Laurenz Albe
On Mon, 2021-04-19 at 08:00 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/functions-math.html
>
> The 'round' mathematical function documentation doesn't specify its rounding
> strategy. If this would be documented then users can rely on its rounding
> behavior. For double precision the rounding probably depends on your
> platform. For numeric the function seems to round to nearest with ties going
> away from zero (sometimes referred to as "round half up). 6.5 -> 7.0 and
> -6.5 -> -7.0.

+1

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Rounding strategy

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Mon, 2021-04-19 at 08:00 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> The 'round' mathematical function documentation doesn't specify its rounding
> strategy. If this would be documented then users can rely on its rounding
> behavior. For double precision the rounding probably depends on your
> platform. For numeric the function seems to round to nearest with ties going
> away from zero (sometimes referred to as "round half up). 6.5 -> 7.0 and
> -6.5 -> -7.0.

Here is a proposed patch.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Вложения

Re: Rounding strategy

Дата:
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> On Mon, 2021-04-19 at 08:00 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
>> The 'round' mathematical function documentation doesn't specify its rounding
>> strategy. If this would be documented then users can rely on its rounding
>> behavior. For double precision the rounding probably depends on your
>> platform. For numeric the function seems to round to nearest with ties going
>> away from zero (sometimes referred to as "round half up). 6.5 -> 7.0 and
>> -6.5 -> -7.0.

> Here is a proposed patch.

LGTM, although I think we can be a bit more specific about the float
case.  I suggest

        ... by rounding away from 0.  For <type>double precision</type>,
        the tie-breaking behavior is platform dependent, but
        <quote>round to nearest even</quote> is the most common rule.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Rounding strategy

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
> Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> > On Mon, 2021-04-19 at 08:00 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> > > The 'round' mathematical function documentation doesn't specify its rounding
> > > strategy. If this would be documented then users can rely on its rounding
> > > behavior. For double precision the rounding probably depends on your
> > > platform. For numeric the function seems to round to nearest with ties going
> > > away from zero (sometimes referred to as "round half up). 6.5 -> 7.0 and
> > > -6.5 -> -7.0.
> >
> > Here is a proposed patch.
>
> LGTM, although I think we can be a bit more specific about the float
> case.  I suggest
>
>         ... by rounding away from 0.  For <type>double precision</type>,
>         the tie-breaking behavior is platform dependent, but
>         <quote>round to nearest even</quote> is the most common rule.

Makes sense.  Here is an updated patch.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Вложения

Re: Rounding strategy

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Fri, 2021-04-23 at 09:40 +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> Makes sense.  Here is an updated patch.

I see that you have already committed your proposed version.
Thanks!

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Rounding strategy