Обсуждение: Upgrading from 11 to 13

Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
Susan Joseph
Дата:
I am currently using PostgreSQL 11.2 and would like to try and upgrade it to the latest version 13.  Can I go straight from 11 to 13 or do I need to upgrade to 12 first and then to 13?

Thanks,

Susan

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Hi,

I am currently using PostgreSQL 11.2 and would like to try and upgrade it to the latest version 13.  Can I go straight from 11 to 13 or do I need to upgrade to 12 first and then to 13?

You can go straight to 13.

Regards.

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 04:34:34PM +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le mar. 30 mars 2021 à 16:10, Susan Joseph <sandajoseph@verizon.net> a écrit :
>
>     I am currently using PostgreSQL 11.2 and would like to try and upgrade it
>     to the latest version 13.  Can I go straight from 11 to 13 or do I need to
>     upgrade to 12 first and then to 13?
>

> You can go straight to 13.

We get this question often.  Why do people feel they need to upgrade to
intermediate releases?  If we knew, maybe we could better clarify this.

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 3/30/21 7:09 AM, Susan Joseph wrote:
> I am currently using PostgreSQL 11.2 and would like to try and upgrade
> it to the latest version 13.  Can I go straight from 11 to 13 or do I
> need to upgrade to 12 first and then to 13?

You can do this using either dump/restore or pg_upgrade. The important
part is to remember to use the new versions of the upgrade programs,
version 13 pg_dump to dump the 11 instance and version 13 of pg_restore
to restore or version 13 of pg_upgrade.

The other important thing is to read the release notes for version 12
and 13 to see if any of the changes may affect you.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
>On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 04:34:34PM +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Le mar. 30 mars 2021 à 16:10, Susan Joseph <sandajoseph@verizon.net> a écrit :
>>
>>     I am currently using PostgreSQL 11.2 and would like to try and upgrade it
>>     to the latest version 13.  Can I go straight from 11 to 13 or do I need to
>>     upgrade to 12 first and then to 13?
>>

>> You can go straight to 13.

>We get this question often.  Why do people feel they need to upgrade to
>intermediate releases?  If we knew, maybe we could better clarify this.

I believe this is coming from the Oracle world. You can, e.g.not directly go from 9 to18. There are supported upgrade
pathsand you need to stick to those, but they are documented.

Regards
Daniel

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 02:53:10PM +0000, Daniel Westermann (DWE) wrote:

> >On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 04:34:34PM +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Le mar. 30 mars 2021 à 16:10, Susan Joseph <sandajoseph@verizon.net> a écrit :
> >>
> >>     I am currently using PostgreSQL 11.2 and would like to try and upgrade it
> >>     to the latest version 13.  Can I go straight from 11 to 13 or do I need to
> >>     upgrade to 12 first and then to 13?
> >>

> >> You can go straight to 13.
>
> >We get this question often.  Why do people feel they need to upgrade to
> >intermediate releases?  If we knew, maybe we could better clarify this.
>
> I believe this is coming from the Oracle world. You can, e.g.not directly go from 9 to18. There are supported upgrade
pathsand you need to stick to those, but they are documented.

What other software needs to upgrade through all intermediate versions?

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 3/30/21 8:06 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> We get this question often.  Why do people feel they need to upgrade to
>>> intermediate releases?  If we knew, maybe we could better clarify this.
>>
>> I believe this is coming from the Oracle world. You can, e.g.not directly go from 9 to18. There are supported
upgradepaths and you need to stick to those, but they are documented.

> What other software needs to upgrade through all intermediate versions?

Many variations of OS'es, though not all. One of the benefits of Ubuntu
is that you can jump from x.LTS to y.LTS over intermediate versions.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:10:08AM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 3/30/21 8:06 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > What other software needs to upgrade through all intermediate versions?
>
> Many variations of OS'es, though not all. One of the benefits of Ubuntu is
> that you can jump from x.LTS to y.LTS over intermediate versions.

Oh, yeah.  Anyway, any idea of how to more clearly state users don't
need to upgrade to intermediate versions?

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
>On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:10:08AM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 3/30/21 8:06 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> > What other software needs to upgrade through all intermediate versions?
>>
>> Many variations of OS'es, though not all. One of the benefits of Ubuntu is
>> that you can jump from x.LTS to y.LTS over intermediate versions.

>Oh, yeah.  Anyway, any idea of how to more clearly state users don't
>need to upgrade to intermediate versions?

The best place would be the release notes, I guess. Right at the beginning here:

E.3.2. Migration to Version 13

A dump/restore using pg_dumpall or use of pg_upgrade or logical replication is required for those wishing to migrate
datafrom any previous release. See Section 18.6 for general information on migrating to new major releases.

We could mention that pg_upgrade works across the supported major versions.

Regards
Daniel

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 8:25 AM Daniel Westermann (DWE) <daniel.westermann@dbi-services.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:10:08AM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 3/30/21 8:06 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> > What other software needs to upgrade through all intermediate versions?
>>
>> Many variations of OS'es, though not all. One of the benefits of Ubuntu is
>> that you can jump from x.LTS to y.LTS over intermediate versions.

>Oh, yeah.  Anyway, any idea of how to more clearly state users don't
>need to upgrade to intermediate versions?

The best place would be the release notes, I guess. Right at the beginning here:

Release notes are probably a good place too but there is already a section in the main documentation where this needs to be added.

Which is linked to from the main website.

An explicit sentence stating that major upgrades can skip major versions is needed.  The document is written assuming the reading knows this, and just makes a few minor notes on the topic:
e.g., "If you are upgrading across several major versions, be sure to read the release notes for each intervening version."

David J.

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 03:25:06PM +0000, Daniel Westermann (DWE) wrote:

> >> Many variations of OS'es, though not all. One of the benefits of Ubuntu is
> >> that you can jump from x.LTS to y.LTS over intermediate versions.
>
> >Oh, yeah.  Anyway, any idea of how to more clearly state users don't
> >need to upgrade to intermediate versions?
>
> The best place would be the release notes, I guess. Right at the beginning here:
>
> E.3.2. Migration to Version 13
>
> A dump/restore using pg_dumpall or use of pg_upgrade or logical replication is required for those wishing to migrate
datafrom any previous release. See Section 18.6 for general information on migrating to new major releases.

> We could mention that pg_upgrade works across the supported major versions.

Actually, I think all our upgrade methods allow skipping intermediate
releases, not just pg_upgrade.

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
Ron
Дата:
On 3/30/21 9:53 AM, Daniel Westermann (DWE) wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 04:34:34PM +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Le mar. 30 mars 2021 à 16:10, Susan Joseph <sandajoseph@verizon.net> a écrit :
>>>
>>>       I am currently using PostgreSQL 11.2 and would like to try and upgrade it
>>>       to the latest version 13.  Can I go straight from 11 to 13 or do I need to
>>>       upgrade to 12 first and then to 13?
>>>

>>> You can go straight to 13.
>> We get this question often.  Why do people feel they need to upgrade to
>> intermediate releases?  If we knew, maybe we could better clarify this.
> I believe this is coming from the Oracle world. You can, e.g.not directly go from 9 to18. There are supported upgrade
pathsand you need to stick to those, but they are documented.

Not even Postgresql allows you to jump from ancient versions to the most
modern version.  (No competent system makes you upgrade to the very next
major version...)

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 12:51:50PM -0500, Ron wrote:

> > > We get this question often.  Why do people feel they need to upgrade to
> > > intermediate releases?  If we knew, maybe we could better clarify this.
> > I believe this is coming from the Oracle world. You can, e.g.not directly go from 9 to18. There are supported
upgradepaths and you need to stick to those, but they are documented.

> Not even Postgresql allows you to jump from ancient versions to the most
> modern version.  (No competent system makes you upgrade to the very next
> major version...)

Yes, sometimes you need to use an intermediate version, but those cases
are rare.

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 3/30/21 10:51 AM, Ron wrote:

>>> We get this question often.  Why do people feel they need to upgrade to
>>> intermediate releases?  If we knew, maybe we could better clarify this.
>> I believe this is coming from the Oracle world. You can, e.g.not
>> directly go from 9 to18. There are supported upgrade paths and you
>> need to stick to those, but they are documented.
>
> Not even Postgresql allows you to jump from ancient versions to the most
> modern version.  (No competent system makes you upgrade to the very next
> major version...)

pg_dump version 10+ will dump versions back to 8.0. pg_dump 9.6 reaches
back to version 7.0. So it is possible to upgrade from old versions in
one leap, whether it is advisable is another question.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:30:00AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 8:25 AM Daniel Westermann (DWE) <
> daniel.westermann@dbi-services.com> wrote:
>     The best place would be the release notes, I guess. Right at the beginning
>     here:
>
> Release notes are probably a good place too but there is already a section in
> the main documentation where this needs to be added.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html
>
> Which is linked to from the main website.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
>
> An explicit sentence stating that major upgrades can skip major versions is
> needed.  The document is written assuming the reading knows this, and just
> makes a few minor notes on the topic:
> e.g., "If you are upgrading across several major versions, be sure to read the
> release notes for each intervening version."

I have two patches --- one for our website, and another for our docs,
though not for the release notes specifically.  The release notes do
reference this doc section though.

My idea was to link the ability to skip upgrading to intervening
versions with the need to read intervening version release notes.

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 4/1/21 6:06 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
An explicit sentence stating that major upgrades can skip major versions is
>> needed.  The document is written assuming the reading knows this, and just
>> makes a few minor notes on the topic:
>> e.g., "If you are upgrading across several major versions, be sure to read the
>> release notes for each intervening version."
>
> I have two patches --- one for our website

Reviewed, made a couple of edits, and pushed to the website[1].

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

Вложения

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
Koen De Groote
Дата:
I seem to recall that going from 11 to 12, a certain configuration file was removed and the keys are now expected to be set in the regular configuration file? The logic being there should only ever be 1 configuration file.

I can't find it, but at the same time I don't recall what it's called. I believe it has to do with streaming replication?

Is this a thing or am I imagining stuff?

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 12:34 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:30:00AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 8:25 AM Daniel Westermann (DWE) <
> daniel.westermann@dbi-services.com> wrote:
>     The best place would be the release notes, I guess. Right at the beginning
>     here:
>
> Release notes are probably a good place too but there is already a section in
> the main documentation where this needs to be added.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html
>
> Which is linked to from the main website.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
>
> An explicit sentence stating that major upgrades can skip major versions is
> needed.  The document is written assuming the reading knows this, and just
> makes a few minor notes on the topic:
> e.g., "If you are upgrading across several major versions, be sure to read the
> release notes for each intervening version."

I have two patches --- one for our website, and another for our docs,
though not for the release notes specifically.  The release notes do
reference this doc section though.

My idea was to link the ability to skip upgrading to intervening
versions with the need to read intervening version release notes.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2021-Apr-02, Koen De Groote wrote:

> I seem to recall that going from 11 to 12, a certain configuration file was
> removed and the keys are now expected to be set in the regular
> configuration file? The logic being there should only ever be 1
> configuration file.
>
> I can't find it, but at the same time I don't recall what it's called. I
> believe it has to do with streaming replication?
>
> Is this a thing or am I imagining stuff?

recovery.conf to postgresql.conf?  Yes, you're right.  (There are more
reasons beyond "just one config file", though.)

--
Álvaro Herrera                            39°49'30"S 73°17'W
"Someone said that it is at least an order of magnitude more work to do

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

Дата:
On Thu, Apr  1, 2021 at 07:26:14PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> On 4/1/21 6:06 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> An explicit sentence stating that major upgrades can skip major versions is
> >> needed.  The document is written assuming the reading knows this, and just
> >> makes a few minor notes on the topic:
> >> e.g., "If you are upgrading across several major versions, be sure to read the
> >> release notes for each intervening version."
> >
> > I have two patches --- one for our website
>
> Reviewed, made a couple of edits, and pushed to the website[1].
>
> Jonathan
>
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

Patch applied to the docs.

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

Дата:
Here it is with descriptions:

    Hepatitis A
    Dates on file: 09/01/2005, 01/27/2005

    IPV (Polio)
    Dates on file: 09/01/2005

    Influenza Vaccine Quadrivalent 3 Yr And Older
    Dates on file: 08/25/2020, 10/19/2015

    Influenza Vaccine Quadrivalent Preservative Free 6 Mons and Up
    Dates on file: 08/25/2020, 11/26/2018

    Influenza Vaccine Quadrivalent Preservative Free 6-35 Months
    Dates on file: 10/30/2017, 10/26/2016, 10/07/2013

    MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella)
    Dates on file: 06/27/2006

    Td (Tetanus)
    Dates on file: 01/27/2005

    Tdap (diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus)
    Dates on file: 10/07/2013

    Typhoid Live
    Dates on file: 01/24/2017, 03/03/2011

    Yellow Fever
    Dates on file: 03/03/2011

    Zoster Vaccine Recombinant Adjuvanted (Shingrix)
    Dates on file: 10/31/2020, 08/25/2020

On Thu, Apr  1, 2021 at 09:18:07PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Apr  1, 2021 at 07:26:14PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> > On 4/1/21 6:06 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > An explicit sentence stating that major upgrades can skip major versions is
> > >
> > > I have two patches --- one for our website
> >
> > Reviewed, made a couple of edits, and pushed to the website[1].
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > [1] https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
>
> Patch applied to the docs.
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us
>   EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com
>
>   If only the physical world exists, free will is an illusion.

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

Дата:
On Thu, Apr  1, 2021 at 09:55:28PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Here it is with descriptions:

Sorry, please ignore.

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
Koen De Groote
Дата:
Yes that's it. Probably something to alert people to. If they have this set up, they can't "just to straight to 13".

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 1:32 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
On 2021-Apr-02, Koen De Groote wrote:

> I seem to recall that going from 11 to 12, a certain configuration file was
> removed and the keys are now expected to be set in the regular
> configuration file? The logic being there should only ever be 1
> configuration file.
>
> I can't find it, but at the same time I don't recall what it's called. I
> believe it has to do with streaming replication?
>
> Is this a thing or am I imagining stuff?

recovery.conf to postgresql.conf?  Yes, you're right.  (There are more
reasons beyond "just one config file", though.)

--
Álvaro Herrera                            39°49'30"S 73°17'W
"Someone said that it is at least an order of magnitude more work to do
production software than a prototype. I think he is wrong by at least
an order of magnitude."                              (Brian Kernighan)

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/3/21 10:37 AM, Koen De Groote wrote:
> Yes that's it. Probably something to alert people to. If they have this
> set up, they can't "just to straight to 13".

Yes you can. You run into the same issue going from 11 --> 12 --> 13,
you would just hit it in a different portion of the process.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
"Peter J. Holzer"
Дата:
On 2021-04-01 21:56:17 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Apr  1, 2021 at 09:55:28PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Here it is with descriptions:
>
> Sorry, please ignore.

Too late. Now we all know the code names for previous PostgreSQL
releases.

        hp

|_|_) |                    |

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
Koen De Groote
Дата:
If an upgrade process has a part where old functionality doesn't work anymore, or anything at all breaks, then it's not "you can just upgrade no problems".

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 8:50 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 4/3/21 10:37 AM, Koen De Groote wrote:
> Yes that's it. Probably something to alert people to. If they have this
> set up, they can't "just to straight to 13".

Yes you can. You run into the same issue going from 11 --> 12 --> 13,
you would just hit it in a different portion of the process.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

Дата:
On Sat, Apr  3, 2021 at 09:47:10PM +0200, Koen De Groote wrote:
> If an upgrade process has a part where old functionality doesn't work anymore,
> or anything at all breaks, then it's not "you can just upgrade no problems".

Well, stopping at every major release between major releases dosen't
help much in catching things that changed --- for that, you need to read
the release notes for each major version, and we just updated the PG
docs and website to encourage that.

> On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 8:50 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
>     On 4/3/21 10:37 AM, Koen De Groote wrote:
>     > Yes that's it. Probably something to alert people to. If they have this
>     > set up, they can't "just to straight to 13".
>     >

>     Yes you can. You run into the same issue going from 11 --> 12 --> 13,
>     you would just hit it in a different portion of the process.
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver
>     adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/3/21 12:47 PM, Koen De Groote wrote:
> If an upgrade process has a part where old functionality doesn't work
> anymore, or anything at all breaks, then it's not "you can just upgrade
> no problems".

Major versions are allowed to break compatibility, so there is always a
chance for issues. That is why reading the Release Notes for the first
release in a major version is important. In any case the changes are
cumulative, so jumping X.x --> Y.x --> Z.x is not going to be overall
different from the changes you would get from X.x --> Z.x.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com