Обсуждение: tools like innotop for PostgreSQL?

tools like innotop for PostgreSQL?

От
"Dischner, Anton"
Дата:
Hi all,

we are using PostgreSQL in a docker container for a fhir server.

Performance is not as desired/ as fast as other fhir servers currently in testing.

For MySQL there are monitoring tools like mytop, innotop which show running SQL commands.

Are there any equivalent tools for PostgreSQL to find SQL commands which deserve tuning?

Tried so far:

pg_top only shows system processes.

pgstats is to much vmstat-like

dbeaver does not show running sql-commands to my knowledge

select * from pg_stat_activity;

kind regards,

Anton

Re: tools like innotop for PostgreSQL?

От
Holger Jakobs
Дата:
Hi Anton,

try
https://severalnines.com/database-blog/dynamic-monitoring-postgresql-instances-using-pgtop

Regards,

Holger

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012

Вложения

AW: tools like innotop for PostgreSQL?

От
"Dischner, Anton"

Hi all,

we tested pg_top but missed:

Planner Information

E - Execution Plan
Entering E will provide a prompt for a process ID for which to show an explain plan. This is equivalent to running “EXPLAIN <QUERY>;” in the database manually.

A - EXPLAIN ANALYZE (UPDATE/DELETE safe)
Entering A will provide a prompt for a process ID for which to show an EXPLAIN ANALYZE plan. This is equivalent to running “EXPLAIN ANALYZE <QUERY>;” in the database manually.

Process Information

Q - Show current query of a process
Entering Q will provide a prompt for a process ID for which to show the full query.

I - Shows I/O statistics per process (Linux only)
Entering I switches the process list to an I/O display, showing each process reads, writes, etc to disk.

we will take a closer look into it,

thanks a lot for the link,

best,

Anton

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012

AW: tools like innotop for PostgreSQL?

От
"Dischner, Anton"

Hi again,

pgtop connected to a container does not show any postgres processes.

The example uses -r parameter.

Using this parameter leads to error: Stored function 'pg_cputime' is missing.

To resolve this we should add:

The pg_proctab extension needs to be loaded into the database you are connecting too. That can be installed from pgxn or source.

Source: https://github.com/markwkm/pg_top/issues/11

Question: Anybody did loading extensions to postgresql especially in a container, any hints?

best,

Anton

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012

Re: AW: tools like innotop for PostgreSQL?

От
"Michaeldba@sqlexec.com"
Дата:
Did u try htop?

Sent from my iPad

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012

Re: tools like innotop for PostgreSQL?

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
> On Dec 14, 2020, at 2:14 AM, Dischner, Anton <Anton.Dischner@med.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> we are using PostgreSQL in a docker container for a fhir server.
>
> Performance is not as desired/ as fast as other fhir servers currently in testing.
>
> For MySQL there are monitoring tools like mytop, innotop which show running SQL commands.
>
> Are there any equivalent tools for PostgreSQL to find SQL commands which deserve tuning?

We use pg_stat_statements

Re: tools like innotop for PostgreSQL?

От
zurich@nym.hush.com
Дата:
On 12/14/2020 at 1:12 PM, "Scott Ribe" <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:

>> On Dec 14, 2020, at 2:14 AM, Dischner, Anton
><Anton.Dischner@med.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we are using PostgreSQL in a docker container for a fhir server.
>>
>> Performance is not as desired/ as fast as other fhir servers
>currently in testing.
>>
>> For MySQL there are monitoring tools like mytop, innotop which
>show running SQL commands.
>>
>> Are there any equivalent tools for PostgreSQL to find SQL
>commands which deserve tuning?
>
>We use pg_stat_statements

Hi Anton

for monitoring running SQL check out pg_activity at  https://github.com/dalibo/pg_activity , from the OPM guys Dalibo.