Обсуждение: Get last generated serial sequence and set it up when explicit value is used

Get last generated serial sequence and set it up when explicit value is used

От
Sebastien FLAESCH
Дата:
Hi all!

Using SERIAL or BIGSERIAL column, I try to find a smart solution to
do the following when an INSERT is done:

1) Retrieve the last generated sequence, so the program can use it.

2) Setup the underlying sequence, if an explicit value was used by
the INSERT statement.

So far I figured out the following by using the RETURNING clause...

Is this ok / legal / without risk? (when multiple users insert rows at the same time?)

test1=# create table table1 ( pkey serial not null primary key, name varchar(50) );
CREATE TABLE

test1=# insert into table1 (name) values ('aaaa') returning pkey, (select last_value from table1_pkey_seq);
  pkey | last_value
------+------------
     1 |          1
(1 row)

INSERT 0 1

test1=# insert into table1 (name) values ('aaaa') returning pkey, (select last_value from table1_pkey_seq);
  pkey | last_value
------+------------
     2 |          2
(1 row)

INSERT 0 1

test1=# insert into table1 (pkey,name) values (100,'aaaa') returning pkey, (select last_value from table1_pkey_seq);
  pkey | last_value
------+------------
   100 |          2
(1 row)

INSERT 0 1

I see 100 is > than 2, so reset the sequence:

test1=# select setval('table1_pkey_seq',101,false);
  setval
--------
     101
(1 row)

test1=# insert into table1 (name) values ('aaaa') returning pkey, (select last_value from table1_pkey_seq);
  pkey | last_value
------+------------
   101 |        101
(1 row)

INSERT 0 1

Any better way to do that in a single SQL statement?

Is it legal to use a subquery in a RETURNING clause?

Thanks!
Seb

Re: Get last generated serial sequence and set it up when explicit value is used

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата: