Обсуждение: create type with %type or %rowtype

create type with %type or %rowtype

От
Post Gresql
Дата:
Hello.

It seems that I can not create a type with

create type my_type as my_table%rowtype;

or

create type my_type as my_table.my_column%type;

Correct? It seems to be a feature for plpgsql programing only, right?

But wouldn't that be a good thing to be able to do? Or would it cause
too many problems?

Best regards

Re: create type with %type or %rowtype

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/17/20 2:12 PM, Post Gresql wrote:
> Hello.
>
> It seems that I can not create a type with
>
> create type my_type as my_table%rowtype;

To me that is redundant as a table has a composite type already.

> or
>
> create type my_type as my_table.my_column%type;

In plpgsql %type is effectively a placeholder, not sure how well that
would work in a created type.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: create type with %type or %rowtype

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
(resending to include the list)

create type my_type as my_table%rowtype;

This would be redundant with existing behavior - all tables have a corresponding type already

create type my_type as my_table.my_column%type;

What does the indirection get us?

Correct? It seems to be a feature for plpgsql programing only, right?

Correct

But wouldn't that be a good thing to be able to do?

You are the one proposing it - why would it be a good thing to do?

Or would it cause
too many problems?

If it doesn't have value it wouldn't matter whether it would be problematic.

David J.

[...]

My idea, that I did not explain properly, sorry for that, is that when I write plpgsql functions I sometime need to have a certain column type as return value, or even a complete table row as return type.

Then it would be great if I could just refer to the column or row type when delcaring the return type.

It would also be handy if I could reference types when declaring other types,

for example

create type my_type (a int, b my_table.my_column%type);

The real reason: you will be sure you are using the same type everywhere.  And it is easier to change type later on, then only one column has to be changed, not many and in a lot of different places.

I hope that explains my idea.

David J.

It seems that I can not create a type with

create type my_type as my_table%rowtype;

or

create type my_type as my_table.my_column%type;

Correct? It seems to be a feature for plpgsql programing only, right?

But wouldn't that be a good thing to be able to do? Or would it cause
too many problems?

Best regards

Re: create type with %type or %rowtype

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/17/20 11:34 PM, Post Gresql wrote:

> On 2020-11-18 04:37, David G. Johnston wrote:
>> (resending to include the list)
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post Gresql <postgresql@taljaren.se
>> <mailto:postgresql@taljaren.se>> wrote:
>>
>>     create type my_type as my_table%rowtype;
>>

>> This would be redundant with existing behavior - all tables have a
>> corresponding type already
>>
>>     create type my_type as my_table.my_column%type;
>>

>> What does the indirection get us?
>>
>>     Correct? It seems to be a feature for plpgsql programing only, right?
>>

>> Correct
>>

>>     But wouldn't that be a good thing to be able to do?
>>

>> You are the one proposing it - why would it be a good thing to do?
>
> My idea, that I did not explain properly, sorry for that, is that when I
> write plpgsql functions I sometime need to have a certain column type as
> return value, or even a complete table row as return type.

\d cell_per
                        Foreign table "public.cell_per"
   Column  |       Type        | Collation | Nullable | Default | FDW
options
----------+-------------------+-----------+----------+---------+-------------
  category | character varying |           |          |         |
  cell_per | integer           |           |          |         |
Server: test_db

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.type_test()
  RETURNS cell_per
  LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$
DECLARE
     cp_type cell_per;
BEGIN
     SELECT INTO cp_type * from cell_per limit 1;
     RETURN cp_type;
END;
$function$

select * from type_test();
   category  | cell_per
------------+----------
  H PREM 3.5 |       18

You can change the RETURNS to RETURNS SETOF and return multiple rows.

See also:

Polymorphic types explanation at bottom of this section:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/plpgsql-declarations.html#PLPGSQL-DECLARATION-PARAMETERS

Using %TYPE with polymorphic types:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/plpgsql-declarations.html#PLPGSQL-DECLARATION-TYPE

--