Обсуждение: pg_rewind copies

pg_rewind copies

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
If a file is modified and becomes larger in the source system while
pg_rewind is running, pg_rewind can leave behind a partial copy of file.
That's by design, and it's OK for relation files because they're
replayed from WAL. But it can cause trouble for configuration files.

I ran into this while playing with pg_auto_failover. After failover,
pg_auto_failover would often launch pg_rewind, and run ALTER SYSTEM on
the primary while pg_rewind was running. The resulting rewound system
would fail to start up:

Nov 13 09:24:42 pg-node-a pg_autoctl[2217]: 09:24:42 2220 ERROR
2020-11-13 09:24:32.547 GMT [2246] LOG:  syntax error in file
"/data/pgdata/postgresql.auto.conf" line 4, near token "'"
Nov 13 09:24:42 pg-node-a pg_autoctl[2217]: 09:24:42 2220 ERROR
2020-11-13 09:24:32.547 GMT [2246] FATAL:  configuration file
"postgresql.auto.conf" contains errors

Attached is a patch to mitigate that. It changes pg_rewind so that when
it copies a whole file, it ignores the original file size. It's not a
complete cure: it still believes the original size for files larger than
1 MB. That limit was just expedient given the way the chunking logic in
libpq_source.c works, but should be enough for configuration files.

There's another race condition that this doesn't try to fix: If a file
is modified while it's being copied, you can have a torn file with one
half of the file from the old version, and one half from the new. That's
a much more narrow window, though, and pg_basebackup has the same problem.

- Heikki

Вложения

Re: pg_rewind copies

От
Cary Huang
Дата:
Spec compliant:           tested, passed
Documentation:            not tested

Hello

The patch seems to do as described and the regression and tap tests are passing
+    /*
+     * A local source is not expected to change while we're rewinding, so check
+     * that we size of the file matches our earlier expectation.
+     */
Is this a tyoo?

thanks
Cary

Re: pg_rewind copies

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 16/12/2020 00:08, Cary Huang wrote:
> The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
> make installcheck-world:  tested, passed
> Implements feature:       tested, passed
> Spec compliant:           tested, passed
> Documentation:            not tested
>
> Hello
>
> The patch seems to do as described and the regression and tap tests are passing
> +    /*
> +     * A local source is not expected to change while we're rewinding, so check
> +     * that we size of the file matches our earlier expectation.
> +     */
> Is this a tyoo?

Yep, thanks! Attached is a new patch version, with that fixed and
rebased. No other changes.

- Heikki

Вложения

Re: pg_rewind copies

От
David Steele
Дата:
On 1/22/21 8:26 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 16/12/2020 00:08, Cary Huang wrote:
>> The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
>> make installcheck-world:  tested, passed
>> Implements feature:       tested, passed
>> Spec compliant:           tested, passed
>> Documentation:            not tested
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> The patch seems to do as described and the regression and tap tests
>> are passing
>> +    /*
>> +     * A local source is not expected to change while we're
>> rewinding, so check
>> +     * that we size of the file matches our earlier expectation.
>> +     */
>> Is this a tyoo?
>
> Yep, thanks! Attached is a new patch version, with that fixed and
> rebased. No other changes.

Cary, does this patch look ready to commit? If so, please change the
state in the CF entry to "Ready for Committer".

-David
david@pgmasters.net

Re: pg_rewind copies

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 25 Mar 2021, at 14:32, David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
>
> On 1/22/21 8:26 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> On 16/12/2020 00:08, Cary Huang wrote:
>>> The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
>>> make installcheck-world:  tested, passed
>>> Implements feature:       tested, passed
>>> Spec compliant:           tested, passed
>>> Documentation:            not tested
>>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> The patch seems to do as described and the regression and tap tests are passing
>>> +    /*
>>> +     * A local source is not expected to change while we're rewinding, so check
>>> +     * that we size of the file matches our earlier expectation.
>>> +     */
>>> Is this a tyoo?
>> Yep, thanks! Attached is a new patch version, with that fixed and rebased. No other changes.
>
> Cary, does this patch look ready to commit? If so, please change the state in the CF entry to "Ready for Committer".

Reading the patch I think it definitely qualifies for RFC state.  Heikki, do
you have plans to address till patch in the ongoing CF?

Re: pg_rewind copies

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
I took another look at this patch, and I think it's ready to go in, it clearly
fixes a bug that isn't too hard to hit in production settings.  To ensure we
don't break this I've added a testcase which pipes the pg_rewind --verbose
output to a file it's asked to copy, which then guarantees that the file is
growing in size during the operation without need for synchronizing two
processes with IPC::Run (it also passes on Windows in the CI setup).

One small comment on the patch:

+   snprintf(srcpath, sizeof(srcpath), "%s/%s", datadir, path);

This should IMO check the returnvalue of snprintf to ensure it wasn't
truncated.  While the risk is exceedingly small, a truncated filename might
match another existing filename and the error not getting caught.  There is
another instance just like this one in open_target_file() to which I think we
should apply the same belts-and-suspenders treatment.  I've fixed this in the
attached version which also have had a pg_indent run on top of a fresh rebase.

Thoughts on this version?

Re: pg_rewind copies

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 01/04/2022 12:00, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> I took another look at this patch, and I think it's ready to go in, it clearly
> fixes a bug that isn't too hard to hit in production settings.  To ensure we
> don't break this I've added a testcase which pipes the pg_rewind --verbose
> output to a file it's asked to copy, which then guarantees that the file is
> growing in size during the operation without need for synchronizing two
> processes with IPC::Run (it also passes on Windows in the CI setup).
>
> One small comment on the patch:
>
> +   snprintf(srcpath, sizeof(srcpath), "%s/%s", datadir, path);
>
> This should IMO check the returnvalue of snprintf to ensure it wasn't
> truncated.  While the risk is exceedingly small, a truncated filename might
> match another existing filename and the error not getting caught.  There is
> another instance just like this one in open_target_file() to which I think we
> should apply the same belts-and-suspenders treatment.  I've fixed this in the
> attached version which also have had a pg_indent run on top of a fresh rebase.

> +    if (len >= sizeof(dstpath))
> +        pg_fatal("filepath buffer too small");    /* shouldn't happen */

Makes sense. I would remove the "shouldn't happen"; it's not very hard
to make it happen, you just need a very long target datadir path. And
rephrase the error message as "datadir path too long".

One typo in the commit message: s/update/updates/.

Thanks!

- Heikki

Re: pg_rewind copies

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 1 Apr 2022, at 12:46, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:

>> +    if (len >= sizeof(dstpath))
>> +        pg_fatal("filepath buffer too small");    /* shouldn't happen */
>
> Makes sense. I would remove the "shouldn't happen"; it's not very hard to make it happen, you just need a very long
targetdatadir path. And rephrase the error message as "datadir path too long".

Right, good point.

> One typo in the commit message: s/update/updates/.

Will fix.

Re: pg_rewind copies

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 01.04.22 11:00, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> One small comment on the patch:
>
> +   snprintf(srcpath, sizeof(srcpath), "%s/%s", datadir, path);
>
> This should IMO check the returnvalue of snprintf to ensure it wasn't
> truncated.  While the risk is exceedingly small, a truncated filename might
> match another existing filename and the error not getting caught.  There is
> another instance just like this one in open_target_file() to which I think we
> should apply the same belts-and-suspenders treatment.  I've fixed this in the
> attached version which also have had a pg_indent run on top of a fresh rebase.

We use snprintf() like that countless times, and approximately none of
them check for overflow.  So while you are right, this might not be the
place to start a new policy.

If you don't like this approach, use psprintf() perhaps.

Re: pg_rewind copies

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 4 Apr 2022, at 15:08, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> We use snprintf() like that countless times, and approximately none of them check for overflow.  So while you are
right,this might not be the place to start a new policy.

Fair enough, I'll remove these hunks before committing and will look a bigger
picture patch to address these across the codebase later.