Обсуждение: Problem with accessing TOAST data in stored procedures

Problem with accessing TOAST data in stored procedures

От
Konstantin Knizhnik
Дата:
Hi hackers,

More than month ago I have sent bug report to pgsql-bugs:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/5d335911-fb25-60cd-4aa7-a5bd0954aea0%40postgrespro.ru

with the proposed patch but have not received any response.

I wonder if there is some other way to fix this issue and does somebody
working on it.
While the added check itself is trivial (just one line) the total patch
is not so small because I have added walker for
plpgsql statements tree. It is not strictly needed in this case (it is
possible to find some other way to determine that stored procedure
contains transaction control statements), but I hope such walker may be
useful in other cases.

In any case, I will be glad to receive any response,
because this problem was reported by one of our customers and we need to
provide some fix.
It is better to include it in vanilla, rather than in our pgpro-ee fork.

If it is desirable, I can add this patch to commitfest.

Thanks in advance,
Konstantin

Re: Problem with accessing TOAST data in stored procedures

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

[...]

I don't like this design. It is not effective to repeat the walker for every execution. Introducing a walker just for this case looks like overengineering.
Personally I am not sure if a walker for plpgsql is a good idea (I thought about it more times, when I wrote plpgsql_check). But anyway - there should be good reason for introducing the walker and clean use case.

If you want to introduce stmt walker, then it should be a separate patch with some benefit on plpgsql environment length.

Regards

Pavel

Thanks in advance,
Konstantin

Вложения

[...]

If you think that plpgsql statement walker is not needed, then I do not insist.
Are you going to commit your version of the patch?

[...]

I am afraid so it needs significantly much more work :(. My version is correct just for the case that you describe, but it doesn't fix the possibility of the end of the transaction inside the nested CALL.

Some like

DO $$ DECLARE v_r record; BEGIN FOR v_r in SELECT data FROM toasted LOOP INSERT INTO toasted(data) VALUES(v_r.data) CALL check_and_commit();END LOOP;END;$$;

Probably my patch (or your patch) will fix on 99%, but still there will be a possibility of this issue. It is very similar to fixing releasing expr plans inside CALL statements. Current design of CALL statement is ugly workaround - it is slow, and there is brutal memory leak. Fixing memory leak is not hard. Fixing every time replaning (and sometimes useless) needs depper fix. Please check patch https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112489/plpgsql-stmt_call-fix-2.patch Maybe this mechanism can be used for a clean fix of the problem mentioned in this thread.

Regards

Pavel

[...]

Sorry for delay with answer.
Today we have received another bug report from the client.
And now as you warned, there was no direct call of COMMIT/ROLLBACK statements in stored procedures, but instead of it it is calling some other pprocedures
which I suspect contains some transaction control statements.

I looked at the plpgsql-stmt_call-fix-2.patch
It invalidates prepared plan in case of nested procedure call.
But here invalidation approach will not work. We have already prefetched rows and to access them we need snapshot.
We can not restore the same snapshot after CALL - it will be not correct.
In case of ATX (autonomous transactions supported by PgPro) we really  save/restore context after ATX. But transaction control semantic in procedures is different:
we commit current transaction and start new one.

So I didn't find better solution than just slightly extend you patch and consider any procedures containing CALLs as potentially performing transaction control.
I updated version of your patch.
What do you think about it?

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

[...]

This has a negative impact on performance - and a lot of users use procedures without transaction control. So it doesn't look like a good solution.

I am more concentrated on the Pg 14 release, where the work with SPI is redesigned, and I hope so this issue is fixed there. For older releases, I don't know. Is this issue related to Postgres or it is related to PgPro only? If it is related to community pg, then we should fix and we should accept not too good performance, because there is no better non invasive solution. If it is PgPro issue (because there are ATX support) you can fix it (or you can try backport the patch https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=ee895a655ce4341546facd6f23e3e8f2931b96bf ). You have more possibilities on PgPro code base.

Regards

Pavel

--
[...]

I am sorry, maybe my reply was not (is not) correct - this issue was reported four months ago, and now I think more about your words about ATX, and I have no idea, how much it is related to community pg or to pgpro.

I am sure so implementation of autonomous transactions is pretty hard, but the described issue is related to PgPro implementation of ATX, and then it should be fixed there. Disabling prefetching doesn't look like a good idea. You try to fix the result, not the source of the problem - but I have not any idea, what is possible and what not, because I don't know how PgPro ATX is implemented.

Regards

Pavel

--
[...]

Sorry, it is not PgPro specific problem and recent master suffers from this bug as well.
In the original bug report there was simple scenario of reproducing the problem:

CREATE TABLE toasted(id serial primary key, data text);
INSERT INTO toasted(data) VALUES((SELECT string_agg(random()::text,':') FROM generate_series(1, 1000)));
INSERT INTO toasted(data) VALUES((SELECT string_agg(random()::text,':') FROM generate_series(1, 1000)));
DO $$ DECLARE v_r record; BEGIN FOR v_r in SELECT data FROM toasted LOOP INSERT INTO toasted(data) VALUES(v_r.data);COMMIT;END LOOP;END;$$;

--
[...]

can you use new procedure_resowner?

Regards

Pavel

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: Problem with accessing TOAST data in stored procedures

От
Konstantin Knizhnik

I am sorry, maybe my reply was not (is not) correct - this issue was reported four months ago, and now I think more about your words about ATX, and I have no idea, how much it is related to community pg or to pgpro.

I am sure so implementation of autonomous transactions is pretty hard, but the described issue is related to PgPro implementation of ATX, and then it should be fixed there. Disabling prefetching doesn't look like a good idea. You try to fix the result, not the source of the problem - but I have not any idea, what is possible and what not, because I don't know how PgPro ATX is implemented.

I think there is some misunderstanding.
Sorry if I my explanation was not clear.

This problem is not related with ATX and PgPro. Actually ATX correctly handle this case (when iteration through query results cross transaction commit).
It is the problem of transaction control in stored procedures in vanilla Postgres and it is not yet resolved.
I refer to ATX in PgPro just as example of how this problem can be solved with different transaction control model.
But this approach is not (IMHO) applicable to stored procedures.

I do not think that this problem is so critical.
Not so many people are using stored procedures (which were added to the Postgres not so long time ago),
not all of them are performing transaction control inside them and even less of them interleave loop over query results with transactions commits.
But there are such people and we have received correspondent bug reports.
So I think it should be somehow fixed.

I do not know good solution of the problem.
There are three possibilities:
1. Disable prefetch
2. Keep snapshot (which seems to be incorrect)
3. Materialize prefetched tuples before commit (seems to be non-trivial)

--
[...]

Sorry, I do not understanf your suggestion.
How procedure_resowner can help to solve this problem?

--
[...]

I am not sure if disabling prefetch for this case is the correct solution. Probably not if you got a new snapshot, then the cursor will be "sensitive", but other Postgres cursors are "insensitive".

Implementation of materialization should not be very hard - you will do only copy tuples to some local buffers, but it doesn't say if the result will be correct, because you mix more snapshots.

So keeping snapshots looks like a more correct solution - although there can be inconsistency against current snapshot, the result is very similar to full materialization.

Regards

Pavel

--
[...]

This is just an idea - I think the most correct with zero performance impact is keeping snapshot, and this can be stored in procedure_resowner.

The fundamental question is if we want or allow more snapshots per query. The implementation is a secondary issue.

Pavel

--
[...]

I wonder if it is correct from logical point of view.
If we commit transaction in stored procedure, then we actually implicitly start new transaction.
And new transaction should have new snapshot. Otherwise its behavior will change.

--
[...]

I have no problem with this. I have a problem with cycle implementation - when I iterate over some result, then this result should be consistent over all cycles.  In other cases, the behaviour is not deterministic.

--
[...]

I have investigated more the problem with toast data in  stored procedures and come to very strange conclusion:
to fix the problem it is enough to pass expand_external=false to expanded_record_set_tuple instead of !estate->atomic:

                                {
                                        /* Only need to assign a new tuple value */
                                        expanded_record_set_tuple(rec->erh, tuptab->vals[i],
-                                                                                         true, !estate->atomic);
+                                                                                         true, false);
                                }

Why it is correct?
Because in assign_simple_var we already forced detoasting for data:

    /*
     * In non-atomic contexts, we do not want to store TOAST pointers in
     * variables, because such pointers might become stale after a commit.
     * Forcibly detoast in such cases.  We don't want to detoast (flatten)
     * expanded objects, however; those should be OK across a transaction
     * boundary since they're just memory-resident objects.  (Elsewhere in
     * this module, operations on expanded records likewise need to request
     * detoasting of record fields when !estate->atomic.  Expanded arrays are
     * not a problem since all array entries are always detoasted.)
     */
    if (!estate->atomic && !isnull && var->datatype->typlen == -1 &&
        VARATT_IS_EXTERNAL_NON_EXPANDED(DatumGetPointer(newvalue)))
    {
        MemoryContext oldcxt;
        Datum        detoasted;

        /*
         * Do the detoasting in the eval_mcontext to avoid long-term leakage
         * of whatever memory toast fetching might leak.  Then we have to copy
         * the detoasted datum to the function's main context, which is a
         * pain, but there's little choice.
         */
        oldcxt = MemoryContextSwitchTo(get_eval_mcontext(estate));
        detoasted = PointerGetDatum(detoast_external_attr((struct varlena *) DatumGetPointer(newvalue)));

So, there is no need to initialize TOAST snapshot and "no known snapshots" error is false alarm.
What do you think about it?

--
[...]

This is Tom's code, so important is his opinion.

Regards

Pavel