Обсуждение: Can PAF be used to provide zero downtime while primary and backup servers are being patched?

Can PAF be used to provide zero downtime while primary and backup servers are being patched?

От
David Gauthier
Дата:
Our IT dept needs to install a patch on both primary and backup servers for our Postgres Automatic Failover configured DB (version 9.6 on linux).  From the standpoint of the DB users, can a strategy be implemented such that they see zero downtime during this process as the 2 servers are taken down in sequence for their patch, switching the role of primary and backup as this happens ?

Re: Can PAF be used to provide zero downtime while primary and backup servers are being patched?

Дата:
On Thu, Aug  6, 2020 at 10:01:21AM -0400, David Gauthier wrote:
> Our IT dept needs to install a patch on both primary and backup servers for our
> Postgres Automatic Failover configured DB (version 9.6 on linux).  From the
> standpoint of the DB users, can a strategy be implemented such that they see
> zero downtime during this process as the 2 servers are taken down in sequence
> for their patch, switching the role of primary and backup as this happens ?

Assuming this is a minor relase upgrade, you can do it by just bouncing
the servers.  You can do the switch-over/switch-back too, but you have
to manage session migration.  I wrote a blog about it:

    https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2018.html#October_1_2018