Обсуждение: [BUG] Error in BRIN summarization

[BUG] Error in BRIN summarization

От
Anastasia Lubennikova
Дата:
One of our clients caught an error "failed to find parent tuple for
heap-only tuple at (50661,130) in table "tbl'" in PostgreSQL v12.

Steps to reproduce (REL_12_STABLE):

1) Create table with primary key, create brin index, fill table with
some initial data:

create table tbl (id int primary key, a int) with (fillfactor=50);
create index idx on tbl using brin (a) with (autosummarize=on);
insert into tbl select i, i from generate_series(0,100000) as i;

2) Run script test_brin.sql using pgbench:

  pgbench postgres -f ../review/brin_test.sql  -n -T 120

The script is a bit messy because I was trying to reproduce a
problematic workload. Though I didn't manage to simplify it.
The idea is that it inserts new values into the table to produce
unindexed pages and also updates some values to trigger HOT-updates on
these pages.

3) Open psql session and run brin_summarize_new_values

select brin_summarize_new_values('idx'::regclass::oid); \watch 2

Wait a bit. And in psql you will see the ERROR.

This error is caused by the problem with root_offsets array bounds. It
occurs if a new HOT tuple was inserted after we've collected
root_offsets, and thus we don't have root_offset for tuple's offnum.
Concurrent insertions are possible, because brin_summarize_new_values()
only holds ShareUpdateLock on table and no lock (only pin) on the page.

The draft fix is in the attachments. It saves root_offsets_size and
checks that we only access valid fields.
Patch also adds some debug messages, just to ensure that problem was caught.

TODO:

- check if  heapam_index_validate_scan() has the same problem
- code cleanup
- test other PostgreSQL versions

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BTgmoYgwjmmjK24Qxb_vWAu8_Hh7gfVFcr3%2BR7ocdLvYOWJXg%40mail.gmail.com

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company

Вложения

Re: [BUG] Error in BRIN summarization

От
Anastasia Lubennikova
Дата:
On 23.07.2020 20:39, Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:
> One of our clients caught an error "failed to find parent tuple for
> heap-only tuple at (50661,130) in table "tbl'" in PostgreSQL v12.
>
> Steps to reproduce (REL_12_STABLE):
>
> 1) Create table with primary key, create brin index, fill table with
> some initial data:
>
> create table tbl (id int primary key, a int) with (fillfactor=50);
> create index idx on tbl using brin (a) with (autosummarize=on);
> insert into tbl select i, i from generate_series(0,100000) as i;
>
> 2) Run script test_brin.sql using pgbench:
>
>  pgbench postgres -f ../review/brin_test.sql  -n -T 120
>
> The script is a bit messy because I was trying to reproduce a
> problematic workload. Though I didn't manage to simplify it.
> The idea is that it inserts new values into the table to produce
> unindexed pages and also updates some values to trigger HOT-updates on
> these pages.
>
> 3) Open psql session and run brin_summarize_new_values
>
> select brin_summarize_new_values('idx'::regclass::oid); \watch 2
>
> Wait a bit. And in psql you will see the ERROR.
>
> This error is caused by the problem with root_offsets array bounds. It
> occurs if a new HOT tuple was inserted after we've collected
> root_offsets, and thus we don't have root_offset for tuple's offnum.
> Concurrent insertions are possible, because
> brin_summarize_new_values() only holds ShareUpdateLock on table and no
> lock (only pin) on the page.
>
> The draft fix is in the attachments. It saves root_offsets_size and
> checks that we only access valid fields.
> Patch also adds some debug messages, just to ensure that problem was
> caught.
>
> TODO:
>
> - check if  heapam_index_validate_scan() has the same problem
> - code cleanup
> - test other PostgreSQL versions
>
> [1]
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BTgmoYgwjmmjK24Qxb_vWAu8_Hh7gfVFcr3%2BR7ocdLvYOWJXg%40mail.gmail.com

Here is the updated version of the fix.
The problem can be reproduced on all supported versions, so I suggest to
backpatch it.
Code slightly changed in v12, so here are two patches: one for versions
9.5 to 11 and another for versions from 12 to master.

As for heapam_index_validate_scan(), I've tried to reproduce the same
error with CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY, but haven't found any problem with it.

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company

Вложения

Re: [BUG] Error in BRIN summarization

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2020-Jul-27, Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:

> Here is the updated version of the fix.
> The problem can be reproduced on all supported versions, so I suggest to
> backpatch it.
> Code slightly changed in v12, so here are two patches: one for versions 9.5
> to 11 and another for versions from 12 to master.

Hi Anastasia, thanks for this report and fix.  I was considering this
last week and noticed that the patch changes the ABI of
heap_get_root_tuples, which may be problematic in back branches.  I
suggest that for unreleased branches (12 and prior) we need to create a
new function with the new signature, and keep heap_get_root_tuples
unchanged.  In 13 and master we don't need that trick, so we can keep
the code as you have it in this version of the patch.

OffsetNumber
heap_get_root_tuples_new(Page page, OffsetNumber *root_offsets)
{ .. full implementation ... }

/* ABI compatibility only */
void
heap_get_root_tuples(Page page, OffsetNumber *root_offsets)
{
    (void) heap_get_root_tuples_new(page, root_offsets);
}

(I was also considering whether it needs to be a loop to reobtain root
tuples, in case a concurrent transaction can create a new item while
we're checking that item; but I don't think that can really happen for
one individual tuple.)

Thanks

Re: [BUG] Error in BRIN summarization

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 10:25 AM Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> (I was also considering whether it needs to be a loop to reobtain root
> tuples, in case a concurrent transaction can create a new item while
> we're checking that item; but I don't think that can really happen for
> one individual tuple.)

I wonder if something like that is the underlying problem in a recent
problem case involving a "REINDEX index
pg_class_tblspc_relfilenode_index" command that runs concurrently with
the regression tests:

https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WzmBxu4o=pMsniur+bwHqCGCmV_AOLkuK6BuU7ngA6evqw@mail.gmail.com

We see a violation of the HOT invariant in this case, though only for
a system catalog index, and only in fairly particular circumstances
involving concurrency.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: [BUG] Error in BRIN summarization