Обсуждение: BUG #16540: Possible corrupted file?

BUG #16540: Possible corrupted file?

От
PG Bug reporting form
Дата:

Bug reference:      16540
Logged by:          Paul Hatcher
Email address:      paul.hatcher@sentinelpartners.co.uk
PostgreSQL version: 11.8
Operating system:   Windows Server 2012

We had a situation where a query that normally ran in 10 seconds instead
never completed.  No conflicts or locks could be seen.  All indexes were
valid and in place.  A full shutdown and restart of the server was done with
no effect.
To test we took a full backup of this system and restored to an identical
alternate system.  Having done this, the alternate system ran the query in
10 seconds.
Final test was to backup and restore back into the production system -
having done this the query returned to running in 10 seconds.  Do you have
any idea what could have caused this?

Thanks
Paul

Re: BUG #16540: Possible corrupted file?

Дата:
> We had a situation where a query that normally ran in 10 seconds instead
> never completed.  No conflicts or locks could be seen.  All indexes were
> valid and in place.  A full shutdown and restart of the server was done with
> no effect.
> To test we took a full backup of this system and restored to an identical
> alternate system.  Having done this, the alternate system ran the query in
> 10 seconds.
> Final test was to backup and restore back into the production system -
> having done this the query returned to running in 10 seconds.  Do you have
> any idea what could have caused this?

The most obvious theory is a change of query plan, perhaps due to having
up-to-date ANALYZE statistics in one case and not the other.  I don't
suppose you captured EXPLAIN output for the non-working state?

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #16540: Possible corrupted file?

От
Paul Hatcher
Дата:
Hi Tom

Many thanks for the feedback.

I did do an explain on both the 10second and the never ending.  The actual structure of the plan was identical - there
werea couple of very minor differences in costs and widths but we're talking cost of 200,000 vs 199,500 kind of
differences.

Thanks

Paul Hatcher
Senior Consultant