Обсуждение: Small doc improvement about spilled txn tracking

Small doc improvement about spilled txn tracking

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
Hi all,

When reading pg_stat_replication doc of PG13, I thought it's better to
mention that tracking of spilled transactions works only for logical
replication like we already mentioned about replication lag tracking:

  <para>
   Lag times work automatically for physical replication. Logical decoding
   plugins may optionally emit tracking messages; if they do not, the tracking
   mechanism will simply display NULL lag.
  </para>

What do you think? Please find attached patch.

Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: Small doc improvement about spilled txn tracking

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 9:10 AM Masahiko Sawada
<masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When reading pg_stat_replication doc of PG13, I thought it's better to
> mention that tracking of spilled transactions works only for logical
> replication like we already mentioned about replication lag tracking:
>
>   <para>
>    Lag times work automatically for physical replication. Logical decoding
>    plugins may optionally emit tracking messages; if they do not, the tracking
>    mechanism will simply display NULL lag.
>   </para>
>
> What do you think?

+1.

> Please find attached patch.

On a quick look, it seems fine but I will look in more detail and let
you know if I have any feedback.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: Small doc improvement about spilled txn tracking

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 10:22 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 9:10 AM Masahiko Sawada
> <masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >

> > Please find attached patch.
> >

> On a quick look, it seems fine but I will look in more detail and let
> you know if I have any feedback.

I am not sure if we need to add "Logical decoding plugins may
optionally emit tracking message." as the stats behavior should be the
same for decoding plugin and logical replication.  Apart from removing
this line, I have made a few other minor changes, see what you think
of attached?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: Small doc improvement about spilled txn tracking

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 14:50, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 10:22 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 9:10 AM Masahiko Sawada
> > <masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > Please find attached patch.
> > >

> > On a quick look, it seems fine but I will look in more detail and let
> > you know if I have any feedback.
> >

> I am not sure if we need to add "Logical decoding plugins may
> optionally emit tracking message." as the stats behavior should be the
> same for decoding plugin and logical replication.  Apart from removing
> this line, I have made a few other minor changes, see what you think
> of attached?

I'm okay with removing that sentence. The patch looks good to me.

Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: Small doc improvement about spilled txn tracking

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 11:30 AM Masahiko Sawada
<masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 14:50, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 10:22 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > On a quick look, it seems fine but I will look in more detail and let
> > > you know if I have any feedback.
> > >

> > I am not sure if we need to add "Logical decoding plugins may
> > optionally emit tracking message." as the stats behavior should be the
> > same for decoding plugin and logical replication.  Apart from removing
> > this line, I have made a few other minor changes, see what you think
> > of attached?
> >

> I'm okay with removing that sentence. The patch looks good to me.

Pushed.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: Small doc improvement about spilled txn tracking

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 15:15, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 11:30 AM Masahiko Sawada
> <masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> > > I am not sure if we need to add "Logical decoding plugins may
> > > optionally emit tracking message." as the stats behavior should be the
> > > same for decoding plugin and logical replication.  Apart from removing
> > > this line, I have made a few other minor changes, see what you think
> > > of attached?
> > >

> > I'm okay with removing that sentence. The patch looks good to me.
> >

> Pushed.

Thank you!

Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/