Обсуждение: Proposal: remove string "contains errors; unaffected changes were applied"

Proposal: remove string "contains errors; unaffected changes were applied"

От
Антон Пацев
Дата:
Hello!
When parameter cannot be changed without restarting the server postgresql write:
"LOG: configuration file "/var/lib/postgresql/data/postgresql.auto.conf" contains errors; unaffected changes were applied"
May be not write this string to LOG?

This string confuses people. If all log send to ELK, then administrator think that postgresql have error. But postgresql do not have error.

--
С уважением, Антон Пацев.
Best regards, Anton Patsev.

Re: Proposal: remove string "contains errors; unaffected changeswere applied"

От
Justin Pryzby
Дата:
On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 01:43:45PM +0600, Антон Пацев wrote:
> Hello!
> When parameter cannot be changed without restarting the server postgresql
> write:
> "LOG: configuration file "/var/lib/postgresql/data/postgresql.auto.conf"
> contains errors; unaffected changes were applied"
> May be not write this string to LOG?
>
> This string confuses people. If all log send to ELK, then
> administrator think that postgresql have error. But postgresql do not have
> error.

I think you're suggesting that the message should be sent to the client, but
not to the log.

But I think it *should* go to the log; otherwise, a bad change might cause the
server to later refuse to start.  Any admins or monitoring system watching the
log should have the ability to see that a change isn't effective.  That's also
why (in my mind) we have pg_settings.pending_restart.

--
Justin

Re: Proposal: remove string "contains errors; unaffected changes were applied"

От
Антон Пацев
Дата:
No. I think the message be sent to the log.
i created diagram.
May be check postgresql.conf of valid or invalid?
contains errors unaffected changes were applied.png

вс, 31 мая 2020 г. в 23:31, Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com>:
On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 01:43:45PM +0600, Антон Пацев wrote:
> Hello!
> When parameter cannot be changed without restarting the server postgresql
> write:
> "LOG: configuration file "/var/lib/postgresql/data/postgresql.auto.conf"
> contains errors; unaffected changes were applied"
> May be not write this string to LOG?
>
> This string confuses people. If all log send to ELK, then
> administrator think that postgresql have error. But postgresql do not have
> error.

I think you're suggesting that the message should be sent to the client, but
not to the log.

But I think it *should* go to the log; otherwise, a bad change might cause the
server to later refuse to start.  Any admins or monitoring system watching the
log should have the ability to see that a change isn't effective.  That's also
why (in my mind) we have pg_settings.pending_restart.

--
Justin

--
С уважением, Антон Пацев.