Обсуждение: Binary downloads and upgrading the host OS

Binary downloads and upgrading the host OS

От
Tom Browder
Дата:
I am using the PostgreSQL binary downloads for Debian from your apt
repositories.

I am about to upgrade from Debian 9 to Debian 10 and would like
comments for my plan:

1. I will follow Debian's instructions for upgrading from 9 to 10.

2. Before I start the actual upgrade, I will:

+ ensure all is up-to-date for my PostgreSQL as well as the rest of my system
+ temporarily comment out the PostgreSQL links in /etc/apt.
+ stop the pgsql server and prevent auto-restart upon reboot

3. After the successful upgrade I assume I will:

+ update the apt sources for PostgreSQL with the new name (buster)
+ update as usual
+ restart the pgsql server and resume auto-start upon reboot

Thanks for your help.

Blessings,

-Tom

Re: Binary downloads and upgrading the host OS

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/25/20 8:04 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> I am using the PostgreSQL binary downloads for Debian from your apt
> repositories.
>
> I am about to upgrade from Debian 9 to Debian 10 and would like
> comments for my plan:
>
> 1. I will follow Debian's instructions for upgrading from 9 to 10.
>
> 2. Before I start the actual upgrade, I will:
>
> + ensure all is up-to-date for my PostgreSQL as well as the rest of my system
> + temporarily comment out the PostgreSQL links in /etc/apt.
> + stop the pgsql server and prevent auto-restart upon reboot
>
> 3. After the successful upgrade I assume I will:
>
> + update the apt sources for PostgreSQL with the new name (buster)
> + update as usual
> + restart the pgsql server and resume auto-start upon reboot

Looks good to me. I'm assuming you are leaving the Postgres version the
same though. Is that correct?

Also, if it is not already planned, to be on the safe side throw in a
backup of some sort just before shutting down the server.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Binary downloads and upgrading the host OS

От
Tom Browder
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:24 AM Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 4/25/20 8:04 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> > I am using the PostgreSQL binary downloads for Debian from your apt
> > repositories.
> Looks good to me. I'm assuming you are leaving the Postgres version the
> same though. Is that correct?

Yes, I already use the latest stable via the apt setup (12 I think).

> Also, if it is not already planned, to be on the safe side throw in a
> backup of some sort just before shutting down the server.

Yes indeed!

Thanks, Adrian.

-Tom

Re: Binary downloads and upgrading the host OS

От
Magnus Hagander

Also don't forget that on an upgrade from Debian 9 to 10, you most likely need to reindex your string indexes, see https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Locale_data_changes

--

Re: Binary downloads and upgrading the host OS

От
Tom Browder
Дата: