Обсуждение: core. files inside base directory

core. files inside base directory

От
Daulat Ram

Hello, I have the core. Files inside the base directory of my postgres 10 setup . Would you please let me know the importance of these files . When they generate . Can we delete them ?

/base/

du -sh *

24M     base

8.1G    core.26166

1.5G    core.26258

8.1G    core.27849

12M     core.27951

4.3G    core.2951

8.1G    core.324

4.9G    core.3241

8.1G    core.3295

5.0G    core.3470

5.2G    core.3485

5.3G    core.3699

5.0G    core.3724

5.3G    core.375

5.0G    core.3935

5.3G    core.3960

1.2G    core.408

Thanks,

Re: core. files inside base directory

От
"Peter J. Holzer"
Дата:
On 2020-03-26 10:42:46 +0000, Daulat Ram wrote:
> Hello, I have the core. Files inside the base directory of my postgres 10 setup
> . Would you please let me know the importance of these files . When they
> generate . Can we delete them ?

Core files are created by the kernel when a process crashes. Unless you
already know which program crashed and why, it is probably worth
investigating.

As a first step you could just use the file utility to find out which
program crashed.

file core.*

should print something like

core.26166: ELF 64-bit LSB core file x86-64, version 1 (SYSV),
SVR4-style, from 'sleep 120', real uid: ... execfn: '/bin/sleep' ...

for each file. (Of course the program won't be "sleep" in your case.

To analyze the coredumps further you would have to use a debugger (e.g.
gdb).

        hp