Обсуждение: strange locks on PG 11 with Golang programs

strange locks on PG 11 with Golang programs

От
Josef Machytka

We are lately experiencing very strange locks on PostgreSQL 11.7 when we process ETL tasks using our programs in Go 1.13.8 using standard libraries sql and pq.

ETL task has to rename tables but PostgreSQL shows that this simple operation waits for Lock on relation and select from PG wiki (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Lock_Monitoring) which should show blocking process shows that command "alter table .... rename to ...." is blocked by process "COPY .... to stdout" but from completely different table.

And from time to time even selects from some tables seem to by blocked by copy commands running on other tables. This is shown by the same select from PG wiki for blocking queries.

All this stuff runs from golang programs. So maybe problem is not on PostgreSQL but in golang libraries?

Thank you for any suggestions

Josef Machytka

Berlin

Re: strange locks on PG 11 with Golang programs

От
Julien Rouhaud
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 09:51:21AM +0100, Josef Machytka wrote:
> We are lately experiencing very strange locks on PostgreSQL 11.7 when we
> process ETL tasks using our programs in Go 1.13.8 using standard libraries
> sql and pq.
>
> ETL task has to rename tables but PostgreSQL shows that this simple
> operation waits for Lock on relation and select from PG wiki (
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Lock_Monitoring) which should show
> blocking process shows that command "alter table .... rename to ...." is
> blocked by process "COPY .... to stdout" but from completely different
> table.
>
> And from time to time even selects from some tables seem to by blocked by
> copy commands running on other tables. This is shown by the same select
> from PG wiki for blocking queries.
>
> All this stuff runs from golang programs. So maybe problem is not on
> PostgreSQL but in golang libraries?

The query displayed is just the query currently executing, but if the
connection is in a transaction the problematic lock could have been acquired by
any previously executed query.  Did you check in pg_stat_activity if the
connection is in a transaction (e.g. query_start != xact_start)?

Re: strange locks on PG 11 with Golang programs

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
We are lately experiencing very strange locks on PostgreSQL 11.7 when we process ETL tasks using our programs in Go 1.13.8 using standard libraries sql and pq.

ETL task has to rename tables but PostgreSQL shows that this simple operation waits for Lock on relation and select from PG wiki (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Lock_Monitoring) which should show blocking process shows that command "alter table .... rename to ...." is blocked by process "COPY .... to stdout" but from completely different table.

Fully review your programs for connection / xaction leaks. Do you use a connection pool? Make sure in the code that you close any connections that you open, even after exceptions , try to identify idle in transaction connections from pg_stat_activity , remember to either commit or rollback non-autocommit connections (just for the sake of clarity).

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead

Re: strange locks on PG 11 with Golang programs

От
Josef Machytka

The query displayed is just the query currently executing, but if the
connection is in a transaction the problematic lock could have been acquired by
any previously executed query.  Did you check in pg_stat_activity if the
connection is in a transaction (e.g. query_start != xact_start)?

Oh, I see. Thank you. I modified query from wiki and it shows that blocking session actually runs for ~12 hours already. Only last COPY command started recently. So maybe golang library did not close session properly and reused it in another completely different task? Although I defer db.Close() everywhere...

Re: strange locks on PG 11 with Golang programs

От
Julien Rouhaud
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 10:21:23AM +0100, Josef Machytka wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 09:58, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The query displayed is just the query currently executing, but if the
> > connection is in a transaction the problematic lock could have been
> > acquired by
> > any previously executed query.  Did you check in pg_stat_activity if the
> > connection is in a transaction (e.g. query_start != xact_start)?
>
> Oh, I see. Thank you. I modified query from wiki and it shows that blocking
> session actually runs for ~12 hours already. Only last COPY command started
> recently. So maybe golang library did not close session properly and reused
> it in another completely different task? Although I defer db.Close()
> everywhere...

I don't know anything about golang libraries, but this sounds like a problem of
a simulated non-autocommit mode in the driver/lib.  You should look at
transaction handling with the lib you're using.

Re: strange locks on PG 11 with Golang programs

От
"Peter J. Holzer"
Дата:
On 2020-03-09 11:02:37 +0200, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> Fully review your programs for connection / xaction leaks. Do you use a
> connection pool?

Go's sql package encourages the use of connection pools (type DB) over
single connections (type Conn):

| Prefer running queries from DB unless there is a specific need for a
| continuous single database connection.

All tutorials I've seen follow this recommendation, so a Go programmer
might not even be aware that connections exist.

        hp