Обсуждение: benchmarking proposed config

benchmarking proposed config

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
Does anyone have suggestions for a utility that would easily let us mirror all queries to a "shadow" PG cluster, so
thatwe can compare performance of our current production config against a new proposed config with our actual
productiontraffic?

(We could live with the new one falling behind as long as queries were queued not lost--in fact we know this will
happen.)

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

Re: benchmarking proposed config

От
Jakub Olczyk
Дата:
Hi Scott,

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 09:12:09 -0700
Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@killerbytes.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions for a utility that would easily let us
> mirror all queries to a "shadow" PG cluster, so that we can compare
> performance of our current production config against a new proposed
> config with our actual production traffic?

I am not sure if this would be an acceptable solution for you but there
is an open source utility called pgreplay[1]. Here is the description:

> pgreplay reads a PostgreSQL log file (*not* a WAL file), extracts the
> SQL statements and executes them in the same order and relative time
> against a PostgreSQL database cluster.

This of course means that you'd need to have a fairly "chatty" log
configuration, but maybe it could work for your needs?

Cheers,
jwo

[1]: https://github.com/laurenz/pgreplay

Re: benchmarking proposed config

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
On Feb 21, 2020, at 2:55 AM, Jakub Olczyk <jwo@disroot.org> wrote:

> This of course means that you'd need to have a fairly "chatty" log
> configuration, but maybe it could work for your needs?

It sure might work; we'll give it a try--hopefully we can log all SQL without filling disk or undue performance hit,
we'llsee.

Re: benchmarking proposed config

От
bricklen
Дата:
Does anyone have suggestions for a utility that would easily let us mirror all queries to a "shadow" PG cluster, so that we can compare performance of our current production config against a new proposed config with our actual production traffic?

(We could live with the new one falling behind as long as queries were queued not lost--in fact we know this will happen.)

PgShark might work for this