Обсуждение: could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

От
Murali Paramu
Дата:
Hello Team,
I have two versions of PostgreSQL 9.4 and 12.1
both servers can be connected through pgAdmin.
But through psql I can connect only to 12.1

when i connect to 9.4 got below error:
$ psql -U postgres -p 5432
psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
സ്നേഹാദരങ്ങളോടെ

Re: could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

От
Rahul Saha
Дата:
Hi Murali,

Is the 9,4 instance up and running? Check ps -ef|grep -i postgres | grep 5432

Check few other settings if not connecting locally like
#listen_addresses = 'localhost'(making to *) or pg_hba.conf settings.

I have two versions of PostgreSQL 9.4 and 12.1
both servers can be connected through pgAdmin.
But through psql I can connect only to 12.1

when i connect to 9.4 got below error:
$ psql -U postgres -p 5432
psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
സ്നേഹാദരങ്ങളോടെ
ഐ.പി.മുരളി
thanks & regards,
i.p.murali

--
Thanks & Regards
Rahul Saha

+91 8806351116

Re: could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
I have two versions of PostgreSQL 9.4 and 12.1
both servers can be connected through pgAdmin.
But through psql I can connect only to 12.1

when i connect to 9.4 got below error:
$ psql -U postgres -p 5432
psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

So what is the configuration in pgAdmin for its connection to the 9.4 server?  You need to make your psql invocation match.

David J.

Re: could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
I have two versions of PostgreSQL 9.4 and 12.1
both servers can be connected through pgAdmin.
But through psql I can connect only to 12.1

when i connect to 9.4 got below error:
$ psql -U postgres -p 5432
psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

Perhaps 9.4 is configured to put its socket file in /tmp instead of  /var/run/postgresql/.  You can try -h /tmp, or you can just always use -h 127.0.0.1, then you don't need to worry where the socket file is.

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

От
zurich@nym.hush.com
Дата:
Have you checked the local settings in the pg_hba.conf as this will affect permitted access.

You can compare what is set differently between the different versions of postgreSQL.

Cheers

Peter

On 2/13/2020 at 5:11 PM, "Jeff Janes" <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 11:23 AM Murali Paramu
><ipmurali@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Team,
>> I have two versions of PostgreSQL 9.4 and 12.1
>> both servers can be connected through pgAdmin.
>> But through psql I can connect only to 12.1
>>
>> when i connect to 9.4 got below error:
>>

>> *$ psql -U postgres -p 5432psql: error: could not connect to
>server: could
>> not connect to server: No such file or directory Is the server
>running
>> locally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket
>> "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?*
>>

>Perhaps 9.4 is configured to put its socket file in /tmp instead of
>/var/run/postgresql/.  You can try -h /tmp, or you can just always
>use -h
>127.0.0.1, then you don't need to worry where the socket file is.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Jeff

Re: could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

От
abbas alizadeh
Дата:
Hi.
You should use the right psql for version 9.4.
In linux run “which psql” to see which version is used to connect

Sent from my iPhone

I have two versions of PostgreSQL 9.4 and 12.1
both servers can be connected through pgAdmin.
But through psql I can connect only to 12.1

when i connect to 9.4 got below error:
$ psql -U postgres -p 5432
psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

Perhaps 9.4 is configured to put its socket file in /tmp instead of  /var/run/postgresql/.  You can try -h /tmp, or you can just always use -h 127.0.0.1, then you don't need to worry where the socket file is.

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

От
Murali Paramu
Дата:
Thank you all guys for the help...
when i use right psql it connected.
/opt/PostgreSQL/9.4/bin$ /opt/PostgreSQL/9.4/bin/psql -U postgres