Обсуждение: empty column name in error message

empty column name in error message

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
Hi,

I wonder if it's worthwhile to fix the following not-so-friendly error message:

create index on foo ((row(a)));
ERROR:  column "" has pseudo-type record

For example, the attached patch makes it this:

create index on foo ((row(a)));
ERROR:  column "row" has pseudo-type record

Note that "row" as column name has been automatically chosen by the caller.

Thanks,
Amit

Вложения

Re: empty column name in error message

Дата:
Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> writes:
> I wonder if it's worthwhile to fix the following not-so-friendly error message:

> create index on foo ((row(a)));
> ERROR:  column "" has pseudo-type record

Ugh.  That used to work more nicely:

regression=# create index fooi on foo ((row(a)));
ERROR:  column "pg_expression_1" has pseudo-type record

But that was back in 8.4 :-( ... 9.0 and up behave as you show.
I'm guessing we broke it when we rearranged the rules for naming
index expression columns.

> For example, the attached patch makes it this:

> create index on foo ((row(a)));
> ERROR:  column "row" has pseudo-type record

Haven't read the patch in any detail yet, but that seems like
an improvement.  And I guess we need a test case, or we'll
break it again :-(

            regards, tom lane

Re: empty column name in error message

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 1:21 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Haven't read the patch in any detail yet, but that seems like
> an improvement.  And I guess we need a test case, or we'll
> break it again :-(

Thanks for adding the test case.

Regards,
Amit

Re: empty column name in error message

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 11:23:17AM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
> Thanks for adding the test case.

For the archives: this has been applied as of 2acab05.
--
Michael

Вложения