Обсуждение: Dump and load

Dump and load

От
"Heckler, Kim M"

Is it OK to use pg_dump from version 10.x, into a flat file, then use psql to load that file into version 11.x?

Nationwide is on your side.

Kim M. Heckler

Consultant, Infrastructure Eng

Proud Nationwide Member

Distributed Database Storage

W 614-249-3014

C 740-816-0908

kim.heckler@nationwide.com

FORTUNE® and Time Inc. are not affiliated with, and do not endorse the products or services of, Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.

Вложения

Re: Dump and load

От
Andreas Kretschmer

Am 14.11.19 um 20:36 schrieb Heckler, Kim M:
> Is it OK to use pg_dump from version 10.x, into a flat file, then use
> psql to load that file into version 11.x?

yeah, should work, but it would be better to use the pg_dump from
version 11 against the database version 10.

Regards, Andreas

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Dump and load

Дата:
"Heckler, Kim M" <kim.heckler@nationwide.com> writes:
> Is it OK to use pg_dump from version 10.x, into a flat file, then use psql to load that file into version 11.x?

Sure.

(Typically, it's considered better practice to use the later version's
pg_dump for this.  But if that's not feasible, the older one's should
work.  We try not to break compatibility with old dump files.)

            regards, tom lane

RE: Dump and load

От
Stephen Froehlich

Yes, absolutely … or pg_restore can parallelize it better than psql if you have done a directory-based pg_dump (which can also parallelize).