Обсуждение: 11 -> 12 upgrade on Debian Ubuntu

11 -> 12 upgrade on Debian Ubuntu

От
stan
Дата:
I am in the middle of a project, and it looks like version 12 is now what
the Debian/Ubuntu package managers want to update to.

I of course, will do this first on a test machine, not the "production", or
"develop,met" machines, but I thought i would solicit the group wisdom on
this.

Are there any things I should watch out for here? Will my data be preserved
during this upgrade? We are just beginning to put real data in the
"production" instance, and just yesterday, I set up a script to do backups
using pg_basebackup. BTW this is the 1st time I have sued this, having
used pg_dump in the past. Database is fairly small with just one
tablespace if that matters.

Thanks for anyone's input.

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: 11 -> 12 upgrade on Debian Ubuntu

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/7/19 7:45 AM, stan wrote:
> I am in the middle of a project, and it looks like version 12 is now what
> the Debian/Ubuntu package managers want to update to.

This should be a dist-upgrade correct?

On a my Ubuntu instance that just installed the Postgres 12 version and
started it(also auto start in start.conf). This was just the template
databases and postgres db. No data was moved over from the 11 instance
that is running.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: 11 -> 12 upgrade on Debian Ubuntu

От
Alan Hodgson
Дата:
I am in the middle of a project, and it looks like version 12 is now what
the Debian/Ubuntu package managers want to update to.

I of course, will do this first on a test machine, not the "production", or
"develop,met" machines, but I thought i would solicit the group wisdom on
this.

Are there any things I should watch out for here? Will my data be preserved
during this upgrade? We are just beginning to put real data in the
"production" instance, and just yesterday, I set up a script to do backups
using pg_basebackup. BTW this is the 1st time I have sued this, having
used pg_dump in the past. Database is fairly small with just one
tablespace if that matters.

You always need to use pg_dump or pg_upgrade to upgrade to a new major version of PostgreSQL.

Re: 11 -> 12 upgrade on Debian Ubuntu

От
stan
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 07:52:14AM -0800, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 11/7/19 7:45 AM, stan wrote:
> > I am in the middle of a project, and it looks like version 12 is now what
> > the Debian/Ubuntu package managers want to update to.
>
> This should be a dist-upgrade correct?

Correct.

> On a my Ubuntu instance that just installed the Postgres 12 version and
> started it(also auto start in start.conf). This was just the template
> databases and postgres db. No data was moved over from the 11 instance that
> is running.

Thanks, that is helpful to know.

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: 11 -> 12 upgrade on Debian Ubuntu

От
"Peter J. Holzer"
Дата:
On 2019-11-07 10:59:37 -0500, stan wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 07:52:14AM -0800, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> > On 11/7/19 7:45 AM, stan wrote:
> > > I am in the middle of a project, and it looks like version 12 is now what
> > > the Debian/Ubuntu package managers want to update to.
> >
> > This should be a dist-upgrade correct?
>
> Correct.
>
> > On a my Ubuntu instance that just installed the Postgres 12 version and
> > started it(also auto start in start.conf). This was just the template
> > databases and postgres db. No data was moved over from the 11 instance that
> > is running.
> >
> Thanks, that is helpful to know.

To migrate the data to the new database, run pg_upgradecluster. This is
a wrapper around pg_upgrade which knows about details of a standard
Debian/Ubuntu PostgreSQL installation (like directory layout, etc.), so
it should be simpler and safer than invoking pg_upgrade yourself (and
pg_upgrade is hidden in /usr/lib/postgresql/*/bin to prevent you from
invoking it accidentally).

        hp