Обсуждение: Web GUI for PG table ?

Web GUI for PG table ?

От
David Gauthier
Hi:

We're considering replacing a windows AccessDB based system with PG.  Access was chosen because of it's GUI to its tables (looks and behaves like a SS). But performance can be volatile given the fact that the AccessDB front-ends and back-end are at different sites 1000+ miles apart.  The belief is that a web-based approach where the DB server and web server are at the same site would be better.

Question is, would such a "spreadsheet-like" GUI have to be built from scratch or is there something that can be leveraged?  Things to consider are record locking, constraint pull-downs, triggers updating values, etc... .  We already have a nice PG server doing other work for us and would like to use that if possible.

Re: Web GUI for PG table ?

От
"Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul)"
Дата:
David,

You should find a fit in here somewhere:

Also, we’ve done some interesting things with building an interface inside of LibreOffice as well. It’s still a separated approach though.   You can start quickly enough automatically, then keep tweaking the data forms as needed over time.  Use SQL for populating pull downs, etc.  Works real slick.

bobb

Think Before You Click: This email originated outside our organization.

Hi:

We're considering replacing a windows AccessDB based system with PG.  Access was chosen because of it's GUI to its tables (looks and behaves like a SS). But performance can be volatile given the fact that the AccessDB front-ends and back-end are at different sites 1000+ miles apart.  The belief is that a web-based approach where the DB server and web server are at the same site would be better.

Question is, would such a "spreadsheet-like" GUI have to be built from scratch or is there something that can be leveraged?  Things to consider are record locking, constraint pull-downs, triggers updating values, etc... .  We already have a nice PG server doing other work for us and would like to use that if possible.

Re: Web GUI for PG table ?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 9/12/19 7:08 AM, David Gauthier wrote:
> Hi:
>
> We're considering replacing a windows AccessDB based system with PG.
> Access was chosen because of it's GUI to its tables (looks and behaves
> like a SS). But performance can be volatile given the fact that the
> AccessDB front-ends and back-end are at different sites 1000+ miles
> apart.  The belief is that a web-based approach where the DB server and
> web server are at the same site would be better.
> Question is, would such a "spreadsheet-like" GUI have to be built from
> scratch or is there something that can be leveraged?  Things to consider
> are record locking, constraint pull-downs, triggers updating values,
> etc... .  We already have a nice PG server doing other work for us and
> would like to use that if possible.

I've been using Tabulator(http://tabulator.info/) a JavaScript library
for displaying data in tabular form. It does not care about the backend
just that it gets data.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Web GUI for PG table ?

От
David Gauthier
Дата:
Many good visualization options but I need one that runs on the web AND allows insert/update/delete records.

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:42 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 9/12/19 7:08 AM, David Gauthier wrote:
> Hi:
>
> We're considering replacing a windows AccessDB based system with PG.
> Access was chosen because of it's GUI to its tables (looks and behaves
> like a SS). But performance can be volatile given the fact that the
> AccessDB front-ends and back-end are at different sites 1000+ miles
> apart.  The belief is that a web-based approach where the DB server and
> web server are at the same site would be better.
> Question is, would such a "spreadsheet-like" GUI have to be built from
> scratch or is there something that can be leveraged?  Things to consider
> are record locking, constraint pull-downs, triggers updating values,
> etc... .  We already have a nice PG server doing other work for us and
> would like to use that if possible.

I've been using Tabulator(http://tabulator.info/) a JavaScript library
for displaying data in tabular form. It does not care about the backend
just that it gets data.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Web GUI for PG table ?

От
Ron
Дата:
We're considering replacing a windows AccessDB based system with PG.  Access was chosen because of it's GUI to its tables (looks and behaves like a SS). But performance can be volatile given the fact that the AccessDB front-ends and back-end are at different sites 1000+ miles apart.  The belief is that a web-based approach where the DB server and web server are at the same site would be better.

Question is, would such a "spreadsheet-like" GUI have to be built from scratch or is there something that can be leveraged?  Things to consider are record locking, constraint pull-downs, triggers updating values, etc... .  We already have a nice PG server doing other work for us and would like to use that if possible.

There was a long thread last month titled "Recomended front ends?".

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20190807185708.GA19765%40panix.com

Re: Web GUI for PG table ?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 9/12/19 7:56 AM, David Gauthier wrote:
> Many good visualization options but I need one that runs on the web AND
> allows insert/update/delete records.

I do that using Django as the framework behind it.

See callbacks:
http://tabulator.info/docs/4.4/callbacks

In particular cell and data callbacks.

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:42 AM Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 9/12/19 7:08 AM, David Gauthier wrote:
>      > Hi:
>      >
>      > We're considering replacing a windows AccessDB based system with PG.
>      > Access was chosen because of it's GUI to its tables (looks and
>     behaves
>      > like a SS). But performance can be volatile given the fact that the
>      > AccessDB front-ends and back-end are at different sites 1000+ miles
>      > apart.  The belief is that a web-based approach where the DB
>     server and
>      > web server are at the same site would be better.
>      > Question is, would such a "spreadsheet-like" GUI have to be built
>     from
>      > scratch or is there something that can be leveraged?  Things to
>     consider
>      > are record locking, constraint pull-downs, triggers updating values,
>      > etc... .  We already have a nice PG server doing other work for
>     us and
>      > would like to use that if possible.
>
>     I've been using Tabulator(http://tabulator.info/) a JavaScript library
>     for displaying data in tabular form. It does not care about the backend
>     just that it gets data.
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Web GUI for PG table ?

От
George Neuner
Дата:
On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 10:56:21 -0400, David Gauthier
<davegauthierpg@gmail.com> wrote:

>Many good visualization options but I need one that runs on the web AND
>allows insert/update/delete records.

Most browser GUI toolkits have some kind of spreadsheet-like "grid"
widget that allows editing the displayed data.  Some frameworks also
have "database" access widgets that can connect to the DBMS and
execute queries there without needing additional middleware on the
server.

But understand that there likely will be some significant Javascript
(or compatible) programming on the frontend to make it work as you
desire.

I've dabbled a bit in frontend web programming and found it to be a
PITA ... I much prefer the server side.  I've done a fair amount of
complex desktop GUI programming over 20+ years (on Macintosh and on
Windows, some of it before the introduction of the GUI frameworks),
and personally I find browser application development to be quite
unfriendly. YMMV.

If you want to go the web route and you don't already have someone
that is pretty well versed in frontend web coding, you might want to
hire a professional.

George