Обсуждение: Input validation

Input validation

От
stan
Дата:
 Have table that contains employee keys, paired up with work type keys
 (both foreign keys) and a 3rd column that you enter a billing rate in.
 Then I have a table where employees enter their work. I need to validate
 that the employee, work type pair exists, before allowing the new record
 to be inserted.

 Any thoughts as to good way to do this?

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: Input validation

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 8/7/19 11:07 AM, stan wrote:
>   Have table that contains employee keys, paired up with work type keys
>   (both foreign keys) and a 3rd column that you enter a billing rate in.
>   Then I have a table where employees enter their work. I need to validate
>   that the employee, work type pair exists, before allowing the new record
>   to be inserted.
>
>   Any thoughts as to good way to do this?

INSERT UPDATE trigger:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-createtrigger.html

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/plpgsql-trigger.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Input validation

От
Rob Sargent
Дата:
On 8/7/19 12:07 PM, stan wrote:
>   Have table that contains employee keys, paired up with work type keys
>   (both foreign keys) and a 3rd column that you enter a billing rate in.
>   Then I have a table where employees enter their work. I need to validate
>   that the employee, work type pair exists, before allowing the new record
>   to be inserted.
>
>   Any thoughts as to good way to do this?

Does the employee interactively specify the "work type" then some
time-spent value?

Can the work-type be chosen from a drop-down generated by

     select work_type from table where employee = <current user>

Otherwise you'll need a trigger on the insert into "enter their work"
table.  Sad thing here is the user has likely left the scene.

Re: Input validation

От
Benedict Holland
Дата:
I think a check will also work but I second triggers.

Thanks,
~Ben