Обсуждение: Looking for Postgres upgrade Metrix

Looking for Postgres upgrade Metrix

От
Perumal Raj
Дата:
Hi Team,

Do we have any reference link which explain various  upgrade path ( Direct / indirect) by using pg_upgrade or latest utility.

I hope pg_dump can be used from any lower version to Higher version. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Raj

Re: Looking for Postgres upgrade Metrix

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
Do we have any reference link which explain various  upgrade path ( Direct / indirect) by using pg_upgrade or latest utility.

I hope pg_dump can be used from any lower version to Higher version. Please correct me if I am wrong.

From the v11 documentation:

Because pg_dump is used to transfer data to newer versions of PostgreSQL, the output of pg_dump can be expected to load into PostgreSQL server versions newer than pg_dump's version. pg_dump can also dump from PostgreSQL servers older than its own version. (Currently, servers back to version 8.0 are supported.) However, pg_dump cannot dump from PostgreSQL servers newer than its own major version; it will refuse to even try, rather than risk making an invalid dump. Also, it is not guaranteed that pg_dump's output can be loaded into a server of an older major version — not even if the dump was taken from a server of that version. Loading a dump file into an older server may require manual editing of the dump file to remove syntax not understood by the older server. Use of the --quote-all-identifiers option is recommended in cross-version cases, as it can prevent problems arising from varying reserved-word lists in different PostgreSQL versions.

David J.

Re: Looking for Postgres upgrade Metrix

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 7/17/19 11:15 AM, Perumal Raj wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> Do we have any reference link which explain various  upgrade path (
> Direct / indirect) by using pg_upgrade or latest utility.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/backup.html

What exactly are you trying to do?

> I hope pg_dump can be used from any lower version to Higher version.

As long as you use the newer pg_dump to dump the older version.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Looking for Postgres upgrade Metrix

От
Perumal Raj
Дата:
Thanks Adrian, David,

Basically , i want to upgrade few 9.X/8.X version DBs  to some stable version ( 10.X / 11.X ), At the same time with less down time.
So want to understand whether direct upgrade possible or not between major releases .

Thanks,

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Looking for Postgres upgrade Metrix

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
Basically , i want to upgrade few 9.X/8.X version DBs  to some stable version ( 10.X / 11.X ), At the same time with less down time.
So want to understand whether direct upgrade possible or not between major releases .

From the pg_upgrade documentation:

"pg_upgrade supports upgrades from 8.4.X and later to the current major release of PostgreSQL, including snapshot and beta releases."

You demonstrated knowledge of the two relevant programs that can be used to upgrade and their documentation explicitly states their minimum version limit so I'm not understanding why there is a question.  pg_upgrade is the better option for upgrading.

David J.

Resolved: Looking for Postgres upgrade Metrix

От
Perumal Raj
Дата:
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Basically , i want to upgrade few 9.X/8.X version DBs  to some stable version ( 10.X / 11.X ), At the same time with less down time.
So want to understand whether direct upgrade possible or not between major releases .

From the pg_upgrade documentation: