Обсуждение: Names of encodings, lc_collate, lc_ctype

Names of encodings, lc_collate, lc_ctype

От
Holger Jakobs
Дата:
Hello,

when using the following command on PostgreSQL 9.6 on a SLES Linux
machine

   pg_dump -h machine1 -C

the output contains this line

   CREATE DATABASE db1 WITH TEMPLATE = template0 ENCODING = 'UTF8'
LC_COLLATE = 'en_US.UTF-8' LC_CTYPE = 'en_US.UTF-8';

which causes trouble on a PostgreSQL 10 or 11 on an Ubuntu 18.04 machine

   ungültiger Locale-Name: »en_US.UTF-8«  (meaning 'illegal locale name')

The command

   select * from pg_collation;

shows (among many others of course)

   en_US.utf8

But even removing the hyphen in 'en_US.UTF-8' and converting 'UTF' to
lower case doesn't remove the error.

How come there are encodings/collations/locales with and without hyphen?
Why does the Ubuntu machine not accept a locale which is present in
lc_collation?

Best Regards,

Holger

--
Holger Jakobs, 51469 Bergisch Gladbach
+49 178 9759012

Re: Names of encodings, lc_collate, lc_ctype

Дата:
Holger Jakobs <holger@jakobs.com> writes:
>    CREATE DATABASE db1 WITH TEMPLATE = template0 ENCODING = 'UTF8'
> LC_COLLATE = 'en_US.UTF-8' LC_CTYPE = 'en_US.UTF-8';
> which causes trouble on a PostgreSQL 10 or 11 on an Ubuntu 18.04 machine
>    ungültiger Locale-Name: »en_US.UTF-8«  (meaning 'illegal locale name')

Hmm, does "locale -a" show that you have en_US installed?

It's basically on the platform's libc to say whether the values for
LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE are valid.  In my experience, glibc is quite
forgiving about how the encoding suffix is spelled, so I'm wondering
if your destination machine is simply lacking the locale definition.

> The command
>    select * from pg_collation;
> shows (among many others of course)
>    en_US.utf8

This doesn't have anything to do with what CREATE DATABASE accepts,
IIRC.  It does show that when initdb ran, it saw en_US.utf8 reported
by "locale -a"; but maybe that was in a different environment.

> How come there are encodings/collations/locales with and without hyphen?
> Why does the Ubuntu machine not accept a locale which is present in
> lc_collation?

Interesting questions, but you need a glibc expert not a Postgres
expert.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Names of encodings, lc_collate, lc_ctype

От
Ron
Дата:
On 7/10/19 8:26 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Holger Jakobs <holger@jakobs.com> writes:
>>     CREATE DATABASE db1 WITH TEMPLATE = template0 ENCODING = 'UTF8'
>> LC_COLLATE = 'en_US.UTF-8' LC_CTYPE = 'en_US.UTF-8';
>> which causes trouble on a PostgreSQL 10 or 11 on an Ubuntu 18.04 machine
>>     ungültiger Locale-Name: »en_US.UTF-8«  (meaning 'illegal locale name')
> Hmm, does "locale -a" show that you have en_US installed?
>
> It's basically on the platform's libc to say whether the values for
> LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE are valid.  In my experience, glibc is quite
> forgiving about how the encoding suffix is spelled, so I'm wondering
> if your destination machine is simply lacking the locale definition.

My Ubuntu 18.04 system (upgraded from 16.04) has these:
C.UTF-8
en_US.utf8
POSIX

Re: Names of encodings, lc_collate, lc_ctype

От
Holger Jakobs

Dear Tom,

After creating the locale with

  sudo locale-gen en_US.UTF-8

and a restart of the PostgreSQL server, it worked.

Thank you.

Holger Jakobs

[...]

Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach
instant messaging: xmpp:holger@jakobs.com