Обсуждение: unlogged sequences

unlogged sequences

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
The discussion in bug #15631 revealed that serial/identity sequences of
temporary tables should really also be temporary (easy), and that
serial/identity sequences of unlogged tables should also be unlogged.
But there is no support for unlogged sequences, so I looked into that.

If you copy the initial sequence relation file to the init fork, then
this all seems to work out just fine.  Attached is a patch.  The
low-level copying seems to be handled quite inconsistently across the
code, so I'm not sure what the most appropriate way to do this would be.
 I'm looking for feedback from those who have worked on tableam and
storage manager to see what the right interfaces are or whether some new
interfaces might perhaps be appropriate.

(What's still missing in this patch is ALTER SEQUENCE SET
{LOGGED|UNLOGGED} as well as propagating the analogous ALTER TABLE
command to owned sequences.)

Re: unlogged sequences

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 09:30:34AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The discussion in bug #15631 revealed that serial/identity sequences of
> temporary tables should really also be temporary (easy), and that
> serial/identity sequences of unlogged tables should also be unlogged.
> But there is no support for unlogged sequences, so I looked into that.

Thanks for doing so.

> If you copy the initial sequence relation file to the init fork, then
> this all seems to work out just fine.  Attached is a patch.  The
> low-level copying seems to be handled quite inconsistently across the
> code, so I'm not sure what the most appropriate way to do this would be.
>  I'm looking for feedback from those who have worked on tableam and
> storage manager to see what the right interfaces are or whether some new
> interfaces might perhaps be appropriate.

But the actual deal is that the sequence meta-data is now in
pg_sequences and not the init forks, no?  I have just done a small
test:
1) Some SQL queries:
create unlogged sequence popo;
alter sequence popo increment 2;
select nextval('popo');
select nextval('popo');
2) Then a hard crash:
pg_ctl stop -m immediate
pg_ctl start
3) Again, with a crash:
select nextval('popo');

#2  0x000055ce60f3208d in ExceptionalCondition
(conditionName=0x55ce610f0570 "!(((PageHeader) (page))->pd_special >=
(__builtin_offsetof (PageHeaderData, pd_linp)))",
errorType=0x55ce610f0507 "FailedAssertion",
fileName=0x55ce610f04e0 "../../../src/include/storage/bufpage.h",
lineNumber=317) at assert.c:54
#3  0x000055ce60b43200 in PageValidateSpecialPointer
(page=0x7ff7692b3d80 "") at
../../../src/include/storage/bufpage.h:317
#4  0x000055ce60b459d4 in read_seq_tuple (rel=0x7ff768ad27e0,
buf=0x7ffc5707f0bc, seqdatatuple=0x7ffc5707f0a0) at
sequence.c:1213
#5  0x000055ce60b447ee in nextval_internal (relid=16385,
check_permissions=true) at sequence.c:678
#6  0x000055ce60b44533 in nextval_oid (fcinfo=0x55ce62537570) at sequence.c:607
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: unlogged sequences

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-06-21 07:31, Michael Paquier wrote:
> 1) Some SQL queries:
> create unlogged sequence popo;
> alter sequence popo increment 2;

The problem is that the above command does a relation rewrite but the
code doesn't know to copy the init fork of the sequence.  That will need
to be addressed.

> select nextval('popo');
> select nextval('popo');
> 2) Then a hard crash:
> pg_ctl stop -m immediate
> pg_ctl start
> 3) Again, with a crash:
> select nextval('popo');

> #2  0x000055ce60f3208d in ExceptionalCondition

Re: unlogged sequences

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2019-06-20 09:30:34 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I'm looking for feedback from those who have worked on tableam and
> storage manager to see what the right interfaces are or whether some new
> interfaces might perhaps be appropriate.

Hm, it's not clear to me that tableam design matters much around
sequences? To me it's a historical accident that sequences kinda look
like tables, not more.

> +    /*
> +     * create init fork for unlogged sequences
> +     *
> +     * The logic follows that of RelationCreateStorage() and
> +     * RelationCopyStorage().
> +     */
> +    if (seq->sequence->relpersistence == RELPERSISTENCE_UNLOGGED)
> +    {
> +        SMgrRelation srel;
> +        PGAlignedBlock buf;
> +        Page        page = (Page) buf.data;
> +
> +        FlushRelationBuffers(rel);

That's pretty darn expensive, especially when we just need to flush out
a *single* page, as it needs to scan all of shared buffers. Seems better
to just to initialize the page from scratch? Any reason not to do that?

> +        srel = smgropen(rel->rd_node, InvalidBackendId);
> +        smgrcreate(srel, INIT_FORKNUM, false);
> +        log_smgrcreate(&rel->rd_node, INIT_FORKNUM);
> +
> +        Assert(smgrnblocks(srel, MAIN_FORKNUM) == 1);
> +
> +        smgrread(srel, MAIN_FORKNUM, 0, buf.data);
> +
> +        if (!PageIsVerified(page, 0))
> +            ereport(ERROR,
> +                    (errcode(ERRCODE_DATA_CORRUPTED),
> +                     errmsg("invalid page in block %u of relation %s",
> +                            0,
> +                            relpathbackend(srel->smgr_rnode.node,
> +                                           srel->smgr_rnode.backend,
> +                                           MAIN_FORKNUM))));
> +
> +        log_newpage(&srel->smgr_rnode.node, INIT_FORKNUM, 0, page, false);
> +        PageSetChecksumInplace(page, 0);
> +        smgrextend(srel, INIT_FORKNUM, 0, buf.data, false);
> +        smgrclose(srel);
> +    }

I.e. I think it'd be better if we just added a fork argument to
fill_seq_with_data(), and then do something like

smgrcreate(srel, INIT_FORKNUM, false);
log_smgrcreate(&rel->rd_node, INIT_FORKNUM);
fill_seq_with_data(rel, tuple, INIT_FORKNUM);

and add a FlushBuffer() to the end of fill_seq_with_data() if writing
INIT_FORKNUM. The if (RelationNeedsWAL(rel)) would need an || forkNum ==
INIT_FORKNUM.

Alternatively you could just copy the contents from the buffer currently
filled in fill_seq_with_data() to the main fork, and do a memcpy. But
that seems unnecessarily complicated, because you'd again need to do WAL
logging etc.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: unlogged sequences

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 6:38 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2019-06-20 09:30:34 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > I'm looking for feedback from those who have worked on tableam and
> > storage manager to see what the right interfaces are or whether some new
> > interfaces might perhaps be appropriate.
>
> [lots of feedback that requires making decisions]

Seems to be actively under development but no new patch yet.  Moved to next CF.

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com

Re: unlogged sequences

От
Alvaro Herrera from 2ndQuadrant
Дата:
On 2019-Aug-01, Thomas Munro wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 6:38 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > On 2019-06-20 09:30:34 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > I'm looking for feedback from those who have worked on tableam and
> > > storage manager to see what the right interfaces are or whether some new
> > > interfaces might perhaps be appropriate.
> >
> > [lots of feedback that requires making decisions]
>
> Seems to be actively under development but no new patch yet.  Moved to next CF.

Marked Waiting on Author.

Re: unlogged sequences

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 25.06.19 20:37, Andres Freund wrote:
> I.e. I think it'd be better if we just added a fork argument to
> fill_seq_with_data(), and then do something like
>
> smgrcreate(srel, INIT_FORKNUM, false);
> log_smgrcreate(&rel->rd_node, INIT_FORKNUM);
> fill_seq_with_data(rel, tuple, INIT_FORKNUM);
>
> and add a FlushBuffer() to the end of fill_seq_with_data() if writing
> INIT_FORKNUM. The if (RelationNeedsWAL(rel)) would need an || forkNum ==
> INIT_FORKNUM.

Now that logical replication of sequences is nearing completion, I
figured it would be suitable to dust off this old discussion on unlogged
sequences, mainly so that sequences attached to unlogged tables can be
excluded from replication.

Attached is a new patch that incorporates the above suggestions, with
some slight refactoring.  The only thing I didn't/couldn't do was to
call FlushBuffers(), since that is not an exported function.  So this
still calls FlushRelationBuffers(), which was previously not liked.
Ideas welcome.

I have also re-tested the crash reported by Michael Paquier in the old
discussion and added test cases that catch them.

The rest of the patch is just documentation, DDL support, client
support, etc.

What is not done yet is support for ALTER SEQUENCE ... SET
LOGGED/UNLOGGED.  This is a bit of a problem because:

1. The new behavior is that a serial/identity sequence of a new unlogged
table is now also unlogged.
2. There is also a new restriction that changing a table to logged is
not allowed if it is linked to an unlogged sequence.  (This is IMO
similar to the existing restriction on linking mixed logged/unlogged
tables via foreign keys.)
3. Thus, currently, you can't create an unlogged table with a
serial/identity column and then change it to logged.  This is reflected
in some of the test changes I had to make in alter_table.sql to work
around this.  These should eventually go away.

Interestingly, there is grammar support for ALTER SEQUENCE ... SET
LOGGED/UNLOGGED because there is this:

         |   ALTER SEQUENCE qualified_name alter_table_cmds
                 {
                     AlterTableStmt *n = makeNode(AlterTableStmt);
                     n->relation = $3;
                     n->cmds = $4;
                     n->objtype = OBJECT_SEQUENCE;
                     n->missing_ok = false;
                     $$ = (Node *)n;
                 }

But it is rejected later in tablecmds.c.  In fact, it appears that this
piece of grammar is currently useless because there are no
alter_table_cmds that actually work for sequences.  (This used to be
different because things like OWNER TO also went through here.)

I tried to make tablecmds.c handle sequences as well, but that became
messy.  So I'm thinking about making ALTER SEQUENCE ... SET
LOGGED/UNLOGGED an entirely separate code path and rip out the above
grammar, but that needs some further pondering.

But all that is a bit of a separate effort, so in the meantime some
review of the changes in and around fill_seq_with_data() would be useful.
Вложения

Re: unlogged sequences

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
rebased patch, no functional changes

On 11.02.22 10:12, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> [...]
>                      n->relation = $3;
>                      n->cmds = $4;
>                      n->objtype = OBJECT_SEQUENCE;
>                      n->missing_ok = false;
>                      $$ = (Node *)n;
>                  }
>
> But it is rejected later in tablecmds.c.  In fact, it appears that this
> piece of grammar is currently useless because there are no
> alter_table_cmds that actually work for sequences.  (This used to be
> different because things like OWNER TO also went through here.)
>
> I tried to make tablecmds.c handle sequences as well, but that became
> messy.  So I'm thinking about making ALTER SEQUENCE ... SET
> LOGGED/UNLOGGED an entirely separate code path and rip out the above
> grammar, but that needs some further pondering.
>
> But all that is a bit of a separate effort, so in the meantime some
> review of the changes in and around fill_seq_with_data() would be useful.

Дата:
Here is an updated patch that now also includes SET LOGGED/UNLOGGED
support.  So this version addresses all known issues and open problems.

On 28.02.22 10:56, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> [...]
>>                      n->relation = $3;
>>                      n->cmds = $4;
>>                      n->objtype = OBJECT_SEQUENCE;
>>                      n->missing_ok = false;
>>                      $$ = (Node *)n;
>>                  }
>>
>> But it is rejected later in tablecmds.c.  In fact, it appears that
>> this piece of grammar is currently useless because there are no
>> alter_table_cmds that actually work for sequences.  (This used to be
>> different because things like OWNER TO also went through here.)
>>
>> I tried to make tablecmds.c handle sequences as well, but that became
>> messy.  So I'm thinking about making ALTER SEQUENCE ... SET
>> LOGGED/UNLOGGED an entirely separate code path and rip out the above
>> grammar, but that needs some further pondering.
>>
>> But all that is a bit of a separate effort, so in the meantime some
>> review of the changes in and around fill_seq_with_data() would be useful.

Дата:
Patch rebased over some conflicts, and some tests simplified.

On 24.03.22 14:10, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Here is an updated patch that now also includes SET LOGGED/UNLOGGED
> support.  So this version addresses all known issues and open problems.
>

> On 28.02.22 10:56, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> rebased patch, no functional changes

>>> Now that logical replication of sequences is nearing completion, I
>>> figured it would be suitable to dust off this old discussion on
>>> unlogged sequences, mainly so that sequences attached to unlogged
>>> tables can be excluded from replication.
>>>
>>> Attached is a new patch that incorporates the above suggestions, with
>>> some slight refactoring.  The only thing I didn't/couldn't do was to
>>> call FlushBuffers(), since that is not an exported function.  So this
>>> still calls FlushRelationBuffers(), which was previously not liked.
>>> Ideas welcome.
>>>
>>> I have also re-tested the crash reported by Michael Paquier in the
>>> old discussion and added test cases that catch them.
>>>
>>> The rest of the patch is just documentation, DDL support, client
>>> support, etc.
>>>
>>> What is not done yet is support for ALTER SEQUENCE ... SET
>>> LOGGED/UNLOGGED.  This is a bit of a problem because:
>>>
>>> 1. The new behavior is that a serial/identity sequence of a new
>>> unlogged table is now also unlogged.
>>> 2. There is also a new restriction that changing a table to logged is
>>> not allowed if it is linked to an unlogged sequence.  (This is IMO
>>> similar to the existing restriction on linking mixed logged/unlogged
>>> tables via foreign keys.)
>>> 3. Thus, currently, you can't create an unlogged table with a
>>> serial/identity column and then change it to logged.  This is
>>> reflected in some of the test changes I had to make in
>>> alter_table.sql to work around this.  These should eventually go away.
>>>
>>> Interestingly, there is grammar support for ALTER SEQUENCE ... SET
>>> LOGGED/UNLOGGED because there is this:
>>>
>>>          |   ALTER SEQUENCE qualified_name alter_table_cmds
>>>                  {
>>>                      AlterTableStmt *n = makeNode(AlterTableStmt);
>>>                      n->relation = $3;
>>>                      n->cmds = $4;
>>>                      n->objtype = OBJECT_SEQUENCE;
>>>                      n->missing_ok = false;
>>>                      $$ = (Node *)n;
>>>                  }
>>>
>>> But it is rejected later in tablecmds.c.  In fact, it appears that
>>> this piece of grammar is currently useless because there are no
>>> alter_table_cmds that actually work for sequences.  (This used to be
>>> different because things like OWNER TO also went through here.)
>>>
>>> I tried to make tablecmds.c handle sequences as well, but that became
>>> messy.  So I'm thinking about making ALTER SEQUENCE ... SET
>>> LOGGED/UNLOGGED an entirely separate code path and rip out the above
>>> grammar, but that needs some further pondering.
>>>
>>> But all that is a bit of a separate effort, so in the meantime some
>>> review of the changes in and around fill_seq_with_data() would be
>>> useful.

Вложения

Re: unlogged sequences

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
Hi,

Here's a slightly improved patch, adding a couple checks and tests for
owned sequences to ensure both objects have the same persistence. In
particular:

* When linking a sequence to a table (ALTER SEQUENCE ... OWNED BY),
there's an ereport(ERROR) if the relpersistence values do not match.

* Disallow changing persistence for owned sequences directly.

But I wonder about two things:

1) Do we need to do something about pg_upgrade? I mean, we did not have
unlogged sequences until now, so existing databases may have unlogged
tables with logged sequences. If people run pg_upgrade, what should be
the end result? Should it convert the sequences to unlogged ones, should
it fail and force the user to fix this manually, or what?

2) Does it actually make sense to force owned sequences to have the same
relpersistence as the table? I can imagine use cases where it's OK to
discard and recalculate the data, but I'd still want to ensure unique
IDs. Like some data loads, for example.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: unlogged sequences

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2022-03-31 16:14:25 +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> 1) Do we need to do something about pg_upgrade? I mean, we did not have
> unlogged sequences until now, so existing databases may have unlogged
> tables with logged sequences. If people run pg_upgrade, what should be
> the end result? Should it convert the sequences to unlogged ones, should
> it fail and force the user to fix this manually, or what?

> 2) Does it actually make sense to force owned sequences to have the same
> relpersistence as the table? I can imagine use cases where it's OK to
> discard and recalculate the data, but I'd still want to ensure unique
> IDs. Like some data loads, for example.

I agree it makes sense to have logged sequences with unlogged tables. We
should call out the behavioural change somewhere prominent in the release
notes.

I don't think we should make pg_upgrade change the loggedness of sequences.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: unlogged sequences

От