Обсуждение: CREATE STATISTICS documentation bug

CREATE STATISTICS documentation bug

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-createstatistics.html contains
this example command:

CREATE STATISTICS s2 (mcv) ON (a, b) FROM t2;

But that produces:

psql: ERROR:  only simple column references are allowed in CREATE STATISTICS

I think the parentheses around (a, b) just need to be removed.

P.S. I think the fact that we print "psql: " before the ERROR here is
useless clutter.  We didn't do that in v11 and prior and I think we
should kill it with fire.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: CREATE STATISTICS documentation bug

Дата:
> P.S. I think the fact that we print "psql: " before the ERROR here is
> useless clutter.  We didn't do that in v11 and prior and I think we
> should kill it with fire.

Agreed, particularly seeing that the error is not originating with
psql; it's just passing it on.

            regards, tom lane

Re: CREATE STATISTICS documentation bug

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Jun-14, Tom Lane wrote:

> > P.S. I think the fact that we print "psql: " before the ERROR here is
> > useless clutter.  We didn't do that in v11 and prior and I think we
> > should kill it with fire.
>
> Agreed, particularly seeing that the error is not originating with
> psql; it's just passing it on.

+1

Proposal: each program declares at startup whether it wants the program
name prefix or not.

Re: CREATE STATISTICS documentation bug

Дата:
> On 2019-Jun-14, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> P.S. I think the fact that we print "psql: " before the ERROR here is
>>> useless clutter.  We didn't do that in v11 and prior and I think we
>>> should kill it with fire.

>> Agreed, particularly seeing that the error is not originating with
>> psql; it's just passing it on.

> +1

> Proposal: each program declares at startup whether it wants the program
> name prefix or not.

Well, to clarify: I think it's reasonable to include "psql: " if the
message is originating in psql.  So I don't think your idea quite
does what we want.

            regards, tom lane

Re: CREATE STATISTICS documentation bug

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Jun-14, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Proposal: each program declares at startup whether it wants the program
> > name prefix or not.
>
> Well, to clarify: I think it's reasonable to include "psql: " if the
> message is originating in psql.  So I don't think your idea quite
> does what we want.

Hmm, it doesn't.

Maybe the error reporting API needs a bit of a refinement to suppress
the prefix for specific error callsites, then?

Re: CREATE STATISTICS documentation bug

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 03:23:29PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-createstatistics.html contains
>this example command:
>
>CREATE STATISTICS s2 (mcv) ON (a, b) FROM t2;
>
>But that produces:
>
>psql: ERROR:  only simple column references are allowed in CREATE STATISTICS
>
>I think the parentheses around (a, b) just need to be removed.
>
>P.S. I think the fact that we print "psql: " before the ERROR here is
>useless clutter.  We didn't do that in v11 and prior and I think we
>should kill it with fire.

I've pushed a fix for the docs issue.

Re: CREATE STATISTICS documentation bug

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 7:22 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I've pushed a fix for the docs issue.

Thanks.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: CREATE STATISTICS documentation bug

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-06-14 23:04, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Jun-14, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>
>>> Proposal: each program declares at startup whether it wants the program
>>> name prefix or not.
>>
>> Well, to clarify: I think it's reasonable to include "psql: " if the
>> message is originating in psql.  So I don't think your idea quite
>> does what we want.
>
> Hmm, it doesn't.
>
> Maybe the error reporting API needs a bit of a refinement to suppress
> the prefix for specific error callsites, then?

This was an oversight and has been fixed.  (It was masked if you had a
.psqlrc, which is why I never saw it.)