Обсуждение: idea: log_statement_sample_rate - bottom limit for sampling

idea: log_statement_sample_rate - bottom limit for sampling

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

I like the idea of sampling slow statements via  log_statement_sample_rate. But I miss some parameter that can ensure so every query executed over this limit is logged.

Can we introduce new option

log_statement_sampling_limit

The query with execution time over this limit is logged every time.

What do you think about this?

Regards

Pavel

Re: idea: log_statement_sample_rate - bottom limit for sampling

От
Gilles Darold
Дата:
Le 06/06/2019 à 10:38, Pavel Stehule a écrit :
> Hi
>
> I like the idea of sampling slow statements via
> log_statement_sample_rate. But I miss some parameter that can ensure
> so every query executed over this limit is logged.
>
> Can we introduce new option
>
> log_statement_sampling_limit
>
> The query with execution time over this limit is logged every time.
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel

+1, log_min_duration_statement is modulated by log_statement_sample_rate
that mean that there is no more way to log all statements over a certain
duration limit. log_statement_sampling_limit might probably always be
upper than log_min_duration_statement.

--
Gilles Darold
http://www.darold.net/

Re: idea: log_statement_sample_rate - bottom limit for sampling

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

čt 6. 6. 2019 v 10:48 odesílatel Gilles Darold <gilles@darold.net> napsal:
Le 06/06/2019 à 10:38, Pavel Stehule a écrit :
> Hi
>
> I like the idea of sampling slow statements via
> log_statement_sample_rate. But I miss some parameter that can ensure
> so every query executed over this limit is logged.
>
> Can we introduce new option
>
> log_statement_sampling_limit
>
> The query with execution time over this limit is logged every time.
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel

+1, log_min_duration_statement is modulated by log_statement_sample_rate
that mean that there is no more way to log all statements over a certain
duration limit. log_statement_sampling_limit might probably always be
upper than log_min_duration_statement.

Here is a patch

Regards

Pavel

--
Gilles Darold
http://www.darold.net/

Вложения

Re: idea: log_statement_sample_rate - bottom limit for sampling

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

po 17. 6. 2019 v 22:40 odesílatel Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> napsal:
Hi

čt 6. 6. 2019 v 10:48 odesílatel Gilles Darold <gilles@darold.net> napsal:
Le 06/06/2019 à 10:38, Pavel Stehule a écrit :
> Hi
>
> I like the idea of sampling slow statements via
> log_statement_sample_rate. But I miss some parameter that can ensure
> so every query executed over this limit is logged.
>
> Can we introduce new option
>
> log_statement_sampling_limit
>
> The query with execution time over this limit is logged every time.
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel

+1, log_min_duration_statement is modulated by log_statement_sample_rate
that mean that there is no more way to log all statements over a certain
duration limit. log_statement_sampling_limit might probably always be
upper than log_min_duration_statement.

Here is a patch

I did error in logic - fixed

Regards

Pavel

--
Gilles Darold
http://www.darold.net/

Вложения

Re: idea: log_statement_sample_rate - bottom limit for sampling

От
Adrien Nayrat
Дата:
Hi,

I tried the patch, here my comment:

> gettext_noop("Zero effective disables sampling. "
>                          "-1 use sampling every time (without limit)."),

I do not agree with the zero case. In fact, sampling is disabled as soon as
setting is less than log_min_duration_statements. Furthermore, I think we should
provide a more straightforward description for users.

I changed few comments and documentation:

  * As we added much more logic in this function with statement and transaction
sampling. And now with statement_sample_rate, it is not easy to understand the
logic on first look. I reword comment in check_log_duration, I hope it is more
straightforward.

  * I am not sure if "every_time" is a good naming for the variable. In fact, if
duration exceeds limit we disable sampling. Maybe sampling_disabled is more clear?

  * I propose to add some words in log_min_duration_statement and
log_statement_sample_rate documentation.

  * Rephrased log_statement_sample_limit documentation, I hope it help
understanding.

Patch attached.

Adrien

Вложения

út 18. 6. 2019 v 14:03 odesílatel Adrien Nayrat <adrien.nayrat@anayrat.info> napsal:
Hi,

I tried the patch, here my comment:

> gettext_noop("Zero effective disables sampling. "
>                          "-1 use sampling every time (without limit)."),

I do not agree with the zero case. In fact, sampling is disabled as soon as
setting is less than log_min_duration_statements. Furthermore, I think we should
provide a more straightforward description for users.

You have true, but I have not a idea,how to describe it in one line. In this case the zero is corner case, and sampling is disabled without dependency on log_min_duration_statement.

I think so this design has only few useful values and ranges

a) higher than log_min_duration_statement .. sampling is active with limit
b) 0 .. for this case - other way how to effective disable sampling - no dependency on other
c) -1 or negative value - sampling is allowed every time.

Sure, there is range (0..log_min_duration_statement), but for this range this value has not sense. I think so this case cannot be mentioned in short description. But it should be mentioned in documentation.

I changed few comments and documentation:

  * As we added much more logic in this function with statement and transaction
sampling. And now with statement_sample_rate, it is not easy to understand the
logic on first look. I reword comment in check_log_duration, I hope it is more
straightforward.

  * I am not sure if "every_time" is a good naming for the variable. In fact, if
duration exceeds limit we disable sampling. Maybe sampling_disabled is more clear?

For me important is following line

(exceeded && (in_sample || every_time))

I think so "every_time" or "always" or "every" is in this context more illustrative than "sampling_disabled". But my opinion is not strong in this case, and I have not a problem accept common opinion.

  * I propose to add some words in log_min_duration_statement and
log_statement_sample_rate documentation.

  * Rephrased log_statement_sample_limit documentation, I hope it help
understanding.

Patch attached.

Adrien

Re: idea: log_statement_sample_rate - bottom limit for sampling

От
Adrien Nayrat
Дата:
On 6/18/19 8:29 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> út 18. 6. 2019 v 14:03 odesílatel Adrien Nayrat <adrien.nayrat@anayrat.info
> <mailto:adrien.nayrat@anayrat.info>> napsal:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I tried the patch, here my comment:
>
>     > gettext_noop("Zero effective disables sampling. "
>     >                          "-1 use sampling every time (without limit)."),
>
>     I do not agree with the zero case. In fact, sampling is disabled as soon as
>     setting is less than log_min_duration_statements. Furthermore, I think we should
>     provide a more straightforward description for users.
>

> You have true, but I have not a idea,how to describe it in one line. In this
> case the zero is corner case, and sampling is disabled without dependency on
> log_min_duration_statement.
>
> I think so this design has only few useful values and ranges
>
> a) higher than log_min_duration_statement .. sampling is active with limit
> b) 0 .. for this case - other way how to effective disable sampling - no
> dependency on other
> c) -1 or negative value - sampling is allowed every time.
>
> Sure, there is range (0..log_min_duration_statement), but for this range this
> value has not sense. I think so this case cannot be mentioned in short
> description. But it should be mentioned in documentation.

Yes, it took me a while to understand :) I am ok to keep simple in GUC
description and give more information in documentation.

>     I changed few comments and documentation:
>
>       * As we added much more logic in this function with statement and transaction
>     sampling. And now with statement_sample_rate, it is not easy to understand the
>     logic on first look. I reword comment in check_log_duration, I hope it is more
>     straightforward.
>
>       * I am not sure if "every_time" is a good naming for the variable. In fact, if
>     duration exceeds limit we disable sampling. Maybe sampling_disabled is more
>     clear?
>

> For me important is following line
>
> (exceeded && (in_sample || every_time))
>
> I think so "every_time" or "always" or "every" is in this context more
> illustrative than "sampling_disabled". But my opinion is not strong in this
> case, and I have not a problem accept common opinion.

Oh, yes, that's correct. I do not have a strong opinion too. Maybe someone else
will have better idea.

--
Adrien

Вложения

st 19. 6. 2019 v 10:49 odesílatel Adrien Nayrat <adrien.nayrat@anayrat.info> napsal:
On 6/18/19 8:29 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> út 18. 6. 2019 v 14:03 odesílatel Adrien Nayrat <adrien.nayrat@anayrat.info
> <mailto:adrien.nayrat@anayrat.info>> napsal:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I tried the patch, here my comment:
>
>     > gettext_noop("Zero effective disables sampling. "
>     >                          "-1 use sampling every time (without limit)."),
>
>     I do not agree with the zero case. In fact, sampling is disabled as soon as
>     setting is less than log_min_duration_statements. Furthermore, I think we should
>     provide a more straightforward description for users.
>

> You have true, but I have not a idea,how to describe it in one line. In this
> case the zero is corner case, and sampling is disabled without dependency on
> log_min_duration_statement.
>
> I think so this design has only few useful values and ranges
>
> a) higher than log_min_duration_statement .. sampling is active with limit
> b) 0 .. for this case - other way how to effective disable sampling - no
> dependency on other
> c) -1 or negative value - sampling is allowed every time.
>
> Sure, there is range (0..log_min_duration_statement), but for this range this
> value has not sense. I think so this case cannot be mentioned in short
> description. But it should be mentioned in documentation.

Yes, it took me a while to understand :) I am ok to keep simple in GUC
description and give more information in documentation.

Maybe some like. "The zero block sampling. Negative value forces sampling without limit"

>     I changed few comments and documentation:
>
>       * As we added much more logic in this function with statement and transaction
>     sampling. And now with statement_sample_rate, it is not easy to understand the
>     logic on first look. I reword comment in check_log_duration, I hope it is more
>     straightforward.
>
>       * I am not sure if "every_time" is a good naming for the variable. In fact, if
>     duration exceeds limit we disable sampling. Maybe sampling_disabled is more
>     clear?
>

> For me important is following line
>
> (exceeded && (in_sample || every_time))
>
> I think so "every_time" or "always" or "every" is in this context more
> illustrative than "sampling_disabled". But my opinion is not strong in this
> case, and I have not a problem accept common opinion.

Oh, yes, that's correct. I do not have a strong opinion too. Maybe someone else
will have better idea.

the naming in this case is not hard issue, and comitter  can decide.

Regards

Pavel

--
Adrien

Re: idea: log_statement_sample_rate - bottom limit for sampling

От
Adrien Nayrat
Дата:
make installcheck-world:  tested, failed
Implements feature:       tested, failed
Spec compliant:           tested, failed
Documentation:            tested, failed

I test the latest patch attached to this thread (log_statement_sample_limit-3.patch). Everything looks good to me.

The new status of this patch is: Ready for Committer

Re: idea: log_statement_sample_rate - bottom limit for sampling

От
Adrien Nayrat
Дата:
Spec compliant:           tested, passed
Documentation:            tested, passed

Sorry, I forgot to tick "passed" boxes.

Re: idea: log_statement_sample_rate - bottom limit for sampling

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi