Обсуждение: Unexplained createdb mydb response

Unexplained createdb mydb response

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/tutorial-createdb.html

I tried the first example in section 1.3 of the initial tutorial,
    createdb mydb
The tutorial says
> If this produces no response then this step was successful and you can
skip over the remainder of this section.
Well, it produces no response, no response at all. It doesn't even return
control to the shell. I have to use ^C to kill it.

If I try
    which createdb
I get the response
    /cygdrive/c/Program Files/PostgreSQL/11/bin/createdb
so the program is installed.

Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Re: Unexplained createdb mydb response

Дата:
PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> I tried the first example in section 1.3 of the initial tutorial,
>     createdb mydb
> The tutorial says
>> If this produces no response then this step was successful and you can
>> skip over the remainder of this section.

Well, it's right --- the normal behavior is to just do it without
printing anything:

$ createdb mydb
$

Or you might get an error:

$ createdb mydb
createdb: error: database creation failed: ERROR:  database "mydb" already exists
$

> Well, it produces no response, no response at all. It doesn't even return
> control to the shell. I have to use ^C to kill it.

That's weird, but I think it's not in-scope for the docs (especially a
tutorial) to explain behavior that shouldn't be happening.

One idea is that you have a firewall or packet filter blocking the
connection attempt.  In that case I'd expect createdb to time out and
report a connection failure when it gets no response, but the timeout
is probably a few minutes ... how long did you wait?

Another possibility is that createdb is trying to prompt for a database
password but for some reason the "Password:" prompt is not showing up
on your terminal.  That could be a bug, but I'm not familiar enough
with the Cygwin environment to diagnose it.

> Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.

You'd probably be better off asking for help about this on the -novice
or -bugs lists than -docs.

            regards, tom lane