Обсуждение: Fix runtime errors from -fsanitize=undefined

Fix runtime errors from -fsanitize=undefined

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
After many years of trying, it seems the -fsanitize=undefined checking
in gcc is now working somewhat reliably.  Attached is a patch that fixes
all errors of the kind

runtime error: null pointer passed as argument N, which is declared to
never be null

Most of the cases are calls to memcpy(), memcmp(), etc. with a length of
zero, so one appears to get away with passing a null pointer.

Note that these are runtime errors, not static analysis, so the code in
question is actually reached.

To reproduce, configure normally and then set

COPT=-fsanitize=undefined -fno-sanitize=alignment -fno-sanitize-recover=all

and build and run make check-world.  Unpatched, this will core dump in
various places.

(-fno-sanitize=alignment should also be fixed but I took it out here to
deal with it separately.)

See https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Instrumentation-Options.html for
further documentation.

Re: Fix runtime errors from -fsanitize=undefined

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 3:22 PM Peter Eisentraut
> After many years of trying, it seems the -fsanitize=undefined checking
> in gcc is now working somewhat reliably.  Attached is a patch that fixes
> all errors of the kind

Is this as of some particular gcc version?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Fix runtime errors from -fsanitize=undefined

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-06-05 21:30, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 3:22 PM Peter Eisentraut
>> After many years of trying, it seems the -fsanitize=undefined checking
>> in gcc is now working somewhat reliably.  Attached is a patch that fixes
>> all errors of the kind
>
> Is this as of some particular gcc version?

I used gcc-8.

The option has existed in gcc for quite some time, but in previous
releases it always tended to hang or get confused somewhere.

Re: Fix runtime errors from -fsanitize=undefined

От
didier
Дата:
Hi,

I tested this patch with clang 7 on master.
- On unpatched master I can't reproduce errors with make check-world in:
src/backend/access/heap/heapam.c
src/backend/utils/cache/relcache.c (IIRC I triggered this one in a pg
previous version)
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c

- I have a hard to reproduce one not in this patched:
src/backend/storage/ipc/shm_mq.c line 727

About the changes
- in
src/fe_utils/print.c
line memset(header_done, false, col_count * sizeof(bool));
is redundant and should be remove not guarded with if (hearder_done),
header_done  is either null or already zeroed, it's pg_malloc0 ed.

In all cases but one patched version shortcut an undefined no ops but in
src/backend/access/transam/clog.c
memcmp 0 bytes return 0 thus current change modifies code path, before
with nsubxids == 0 if branch was taken now it's not.
Could wait more often while taking lock, no idea if it's relevant.

Regards
Didier

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 11:36 AM Peter Eisentraut

> On 2019-06-05 21:30, Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 3:22 PM Peter Eisentraut
> > <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >> After many years of trying, it seems the -fsanitize=undefined checking
> >> in gcc is now working somewhat reliably.  Attached is a patch that fixes
> >> all errors of the kind
> >
> > Is this as of some particular gcc version?
>
> I used gcc-8.
>
> The option has existed in gcc for quite some time, but in previous
> releases it always tended to hang or get confused somewhere.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: Fix runtime errors from -fsanitize=undefined

От
Noah Misch
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 09:21:48PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> After many years of trying, it seems the -fsanitize=undefined checking
> in gcc is now working somewhat reliably.  Attached is a patch that fixes
> all errors of the kind
>
> runtime error: null pointer passed as argument N, which is declared to
> never be null
>
> Most of the cases are calls to memcpy(), memcmp(), etc. with a length of
> zero, so one appears to get away with passing a null pointer.

I just saw this proposal.  The undefined behavior in question is strictly
academic.  These changes do remove the need for new users to discover
-fno-sanitize=nonnull-attribute, but they make the code longer and no clearer.
Given the variety of code this touches, I expect future commits will
reintroduce the complained-of usage patterns, prompting yet more commits to
restore the invariant achieved here.  Hence, I'm -0 for this change.

Re: Fix runtime errors from -fsanitize=undefined

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-07-05 01:33, Noah Misch wrote:
> I just saw this proposal.  The undefined behavior in question is strictly
> academic.  These changes do remove the need for new users to discover
> -fno-sanitize=nonnull-attribute, but they make the code longer and no clearer.
> Given the variety of code this touches, I expect future commits will
> reintroduce the complained-of usage patterns, prompting yet more commits to
> restore the invariant achieved here.  Hence, I'm -0 for this change.

This sanitizer has found real problems in the past.  By removing these
trivial issues we can then set up a build farm animal or similar to
automatically check for any new issues.

Re: Fix runtime errors from -fsanitize=undefined

От
Raúl Marín Rodríguez
Дата:
> This sanitizer has found real problems in the past.  By removing these
> trivial issues we can then set up a build farm animal or similar to
> automatically check for any new issues.

We have done exactly this in postgis with 2 different jobs (gcc and clang)
and, even though it doesn't happen too often, it's really satisfying when
it detects these issues automatically.

--
Raúl Marín Rodríguez
carto.com

Re: Fix runtime errors from -fsanitize=undefined

От
Noah Misch
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 06:14:31PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2019-07-05 01:33, Noah Misch wrote:
> > I just saw this proposal.  The undefined behavior in question is strictly
> > academic.  These changes do remove the need for new users to discover
> > -fno-sanitize=nonnull-attribute, but they make the code longer and no clearer.
> > Given the variety of code this touches, I expect future commits will
> > reintroduce the complained-of usage patterns, prompting yet more commits to
> > restore the invariant achieved here.  Hence, I'm -0 for this change.
>
> This sanitizer has found real problems in the past.  By removing these
> trivial issues we can then set up a build farm animal or similar to
> automatically check for any new issues.

Has it found one real problem that it would not have found given
"-fno-sanitize=nonnull-attribute"?  I like UBSan in general, but I haven't
found a reason to prefer plain "-fsanitize=undefined" over
"-fsanitize=undefined -fno-sanitize=nonnull-attribute".

Re: Fix runtime errors from -fsanitize=undefined

Дата:
> On 2019-07-05 01:33, Noah Misch wrote:
>> I just saw this proposal.  The undefined behavior in question is strictly
>> academic.  These changes do remove the need for new users to discover
>> -fno-sanitize=nonnull-attribute, but they make the code longer and no clearer.
>> Given the variety of code this touches, I expect future commits will
>> reintroduce the complained-of usage patterns, prompting yet more commits to
>> restore the invariant achieved here.  Hence, I'm -0 for this change.

> This sanitizer has found real problems in the past.  By removing these
> trivial issues we can then set up a build farm animal or similar to
> automatically check for any new issues.

I think Noah's point is just that we can do that with the addition of
-fno-sanitize=nonnull-attribute.  I agree with him that it's very
unclear why we should bother to make the code clean against that
specific subset of warnings.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Fix runtime errors from -fsanitize=undefined

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-07-05 19:10, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 2019-07-05 01:33, Noah Misch wrote:
>>> I just saw this proposal.  The undefined behavior in question is strictly
>>> academic.  These changes do remove the need for new users to discover
>>> -fno-sanitize=nonnull-attribute, but they make the code longer and no clearer.
>>> Given the variety of code this touches, I expect future commits will
>>> reintroduce the complained-of usage patterns, prompting yet more commits to
>>> restore the invariant achieved here.  Hence, I'm -0 for this change.
>
>> This sanitizer has found real problems in the past.  By removing these
>> trivial issues we can then set up a build farm animal or similar to
>> automatically check for any new issues.
>
> I think Noah's point is just that we can do that with the addition of
> -fno-sanitize=nonnull-attribute.  I agree with him that it's very
> unclear why we should bother to make the code clean against that
> specific subset of warnings.

OK, I'm withdrawing this patch.