Обсуждение: No mention of no CIC support for partitioned index in docs

No mention of no CIC support for partitioned index in docs

От
David Rowley
Дата:
It appears there is no mention of lack of support for CREATE INDEX
CONCURRENTLY on partitioned index in the documents.

Added in the attached.

Re: No mention of no CIC support for partitioned index in docs

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-May-24, David Rowley wrote:

> It appears there is no mention of lack of support for CREATE INDEX
> CONCURRENTLY on partitioned index in the documents.

I'll leave this one for you to handle, thanks.

Re: No mention of no CIC support for partitioned index in docs

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 08:10, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2019-May-24, David Rowley wrote:
>
> > It appears there is no mention of lack of support for CREATE INDEX
> > CONCURRENTLY on partitioned index in the documents.
>
> I'll leave this one for you to handle, thanks.

Thanks. I've just pushed something.

I ended up deciding that we owe the user a bit more of an explanation
of how they might work around the problem.  Of course, a partitioned
table index build is likely to take much longer than an index build on
a normal table, since most likely a partitioned table is larger. So I
went on to explain how they might minimise the time where writers will
be blocked by creating indexes concurrently on each partition first.