Обсуждение: Naming of pg_checksums

Naming of pg_checksums

Дата:
Is there a reason pg_checksums is plural and not singular, i.e.,
pg_checksum?  I know it is being renamed for PG 12.  It might have
needed to be plural when it was pg_verify_checksums.

Re: Naming of pg_checksums

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Mon, May 06, 2019 at 01:56:47PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Is there a reason pg_checksums is plural and not singular, i.e.,
> pg_checksum?  I know it is being renamed for PG 12.  It might have
> needed to be plural when it was pg_verify_checksums.

Because it applies to checksums to many pages first, and potentially
to more things than data checksums in the future if we want to extend
it with more checksum-related things?  In short I'd like to think that
the plural is just but fine.  If somebody wishes to do again a
renaming, that's fine by me as well but I don't think the current name
is an issue.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Naming of pg_checksums

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 1:56 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Is there a reason pg_checksums is plural and not singular, i.e.,
> pg_checksum?  I know it is being renamed for PG 12.  It might have
> needed to be plural when it was pg_verify_checksums.

That is a good question, IMHO.  I am not sure whether pg_checksum is
better, but I'm pretty sure it's not worse.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company