Обсуждение: Multivariate MCV lists -- pg_mcv_list_items() seems to be broken

Multivariate MCV lists -- pg_mcv_list_items() seems to be broken

От
Dean Rasheed
Дата:
I just noticed the following:

CREATE TABLE foo (a int, b int);
INSERT INTO foo SELECT x/10, x/100 FROM generate_series(1, 100) x;
CREATE STATISTICS foo_s ON a,b FROM foo;
ANALYSE foo;

SELECT pg_mcv_list_items(stxmcv) from pg_statistic_ext WHERE stxname = 'foo_s';

which fails with

ERROR:  cache lookup failed for type 0

That definitely used to work, so I'm guessing it got broken by the
recent reworking of the serialisation code, but I've not looked into
it.

There should probably be regression test coverage of that function.

Regards,
Dean

Re: Multivariate MCV lists -- pg_mcv_list_items() seems to be broken

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 05:02:43PM +0100, Dean Rasheed wrote:
>I just noticed the following:
>
>CREATE TABLE foo (a int, b int);
>INSERT INTO foo SELECT x/10, x/100 FROM generate_series(1, 100) x;
>CREATE STATISTICS foo_s ON a,b FROM foo;
>ANALYSE foo;
>
>SELECT pg_mcv_list_items(stxmcv) from pg_statistic_ext WHERE stxname = 'foo_s';
>
>which fails with
>
>ERROR:  cache lookup failed for type 0
>
>That definitely used to work, so I'm guessing it got broken by the
>recent reworking of the serialisation code, but I've not looked into
>it.

Yeah, that seems like a bug. I'll take a look.

>There should probably be regression test coverage of that function.

Agreed. I plan to rework the existing tests to use the same approach as
the MCV, so I'll add a test for this function too.

regards

Re: Multivariate MCV lists -- pg_mcv_list_items() seems to be broken

Дата:
Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> writes:
> SELECT pg_mcv_list_items(stxmcv) from pg_statistic_ext WHERE stxname = 'foo_s';
> which fails with
> ERROR:  cache lookup failed for type 0

> That definitely used to work, so I'm guessing it got broken by the
> recent reworking of the serialisation code, but I've not looked into
> it.

Yeah, looks like sloppy thinking about whether or not the types array
participates in maxalign-forcing?

> There should probably be regression test coverage of that function.

+1

            regards, tom lane

Re: Multivariate MCV lists -- pg_mcv_list_items() seems to be broken

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:26:02PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> writes:
>> SELECT pg_mcv_list_items(stxmcv) from pg_statistic_ext WHERE stxname = 'foo_s';
>> which fails with
>> ERROR:  cache lookup failed for type 0
>
>> That definitely used to work, so I'm guessing it got broken by the
>> recent reworking of the serialisation code, but I've not looked into
>> it.
>
>Yeah, looks like sloppy thinking about whether or not the types array
>participates in maxalign-forcing?

Actually, no. It seems aligned just fine, AFAICS. The bug a bit more
embarassing - the deserialization does

    memcpy(ptr, mcvlist->types, sizeof(Oid) * ndims);

while it should be doing

    memcpy(mcvlist->types, ptr, sizeof(Oid) * ndims);

Will fix.

cheers