Обсуждение: LIMIT OFFSET with DB view vs plain SQL

LIMIT OFFSET with DB view vs plain SQL

От
Raj Gandhi

Hi everyone,

I’m using LIMIT offset with DB view. Looks like query planner is applying the LIMIT for DB view at the end after processing all rows.

When running same SQL that was used to create the DB view, LIMIT is applied earlier so the query is much faster.

Explain plan using DB view

https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ

Explain plan using raw SQL

https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO

In both tests LIMIT was 100 with offset  = 0.

Is there any way to force DB view to apply limit earlier?

Thanks,

Raj

Re: LIMIT OFFSET with DB view vs plain SQL

От
Raj Gandhi
Дата:
+ pgsql-performance

I’m using LIMIT offset with DB view. Looks like query planner is applying the LIMIT for DB view at the end after processing all rows.

When running same SQL that was used to create the DB view, LIMIT is applied earlier so the query is much faster.

Explain plan using DB view

https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ

Explain plan using raw SQL

https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO

In both tests LIMIT was 100 with offset  = 0.

Is there any way to force DB view to apply limit earlier?

Thanks,

Raj

Re: LIMIT OFFSET with DB view vs plain SQL

От
Raj Gandhi
Дата:
+ pgsql-performance

I’m using LIMIT offset with DB view. Looks like query planner is applying the LIMIT for DB view at the end after processing all rows.

When running same SQL that was used to create the DB view, LIMIT is applied earlier so the query is much faster.

Explain plan using DB view

https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ

Explain plan using raw SQL

https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO

In both tests LIMIT was 100 with offset  = 0.

Is there any way to force DB view to apply limit earlier?

Thanks,

Raj

Re: LIMIT OFFSET with DB view vs plain SQL

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
Raj Gandhi wrote:
> I’m using LIMIT offset with DB view. Looks like query planner is applying the LIMIT for DB view at the end after
processingall rows.

> When running same SQL that was used to create the DB view, LIMIT is applied earlier so the query is much faster.
>
> Explain plan using DB view
> https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ
>
> Explain plan using raw SQL
> https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO
>
> In both tests LIMIT was 100 with offset  = 0.
> Is there any way to force DB view to apply limit earlier?

Please show

- the view definition
- the query on the view
- the query without the view

Yours,
Laurenz Albe
--
+43-670-6056265
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH

Re: LIMIT OFFSET with DB view vs plain SQL

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 5:44 PM Raj Gandhi <raj01gandhi@gmail.com> wrote:

> + pgsql-performance
>
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 6:41 PM Raj Gandhi <raj01gandhi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>

>> I’m using LIMIT offset with DB view. Looks like query planner is applying the LIMIT for DB view at the end after
processingall rows.

>> When running same SQL that was used to create the DB view, LIMIT is applied earlier so the query is much faster.
>>

>> Explain plan using DB view
>>
>> https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ
>>

>> Explain plan using raw SQL
>>
>> https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO
>>

>> In both tests LIMIT was 100 with offset  = 0.
>>
>> Is there any way to force DB view to apply limit earlier?

huh. OFFSET does indeed force a materialize plan.   This is a widely
used tactic to hack the planner ('OFFSET 0').

Maybe try converting your query from something like:

SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT m OFFSET N;
WITH data AS
(
  SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT m + n
)
SELECT * FROM foo OFFSET n;

I didn't try this, and it may not help, but it's worth a shot.

merlin

Re: LIMIT OFFSET with DB view vs plain SQL

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 5:44 PM Raj Gandhi <raj01gandhi@gmail.com> wrote:

> + pgsql-performance
>
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 6:41 PM Raj Gandhi <raj01gandhi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>

>> I’m using LIMIT offset with DB view. Looks like query planner is applying the LIMIT for DB view at the end after
processingall rows.

>> When running same SQL that was used to create the DB view, LIMIT is applied earlier so the query is much faster.
>>

>> Explain plan using DB view
>>
>> https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ
>>

>> Explain plan using raw SQL
>>
>> https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO
>>

>> In both tests LIMIT was 100 with offset  = 0.
>>
>> Is there any way to force DB view to apply limit earlier?

huh. OFFSET does indeed force a materialize plan.   This is a widely
used tactic to hack the planner ('OFFSET 0').

Maybe try converting your query from something like:

SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT m OFFSET N;
WITH data AS
(
  SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT m + n
)
SELECT * FROM foo OFFSET n;

I didn't try this, and it may not help, but it's worth a shot.

merlin

Re: LIMIT OFFSET with DB view vs plain SQL

От
Raj Gandhi
Дата:
Merlin,  I tried the hack you suggested but that didn't work. Planner used the same path.

The same query works much faster when using the raw SQL instead of  DB view:

Here is the definition of DB View ‘job’

 SELECT w.id,

    w.parent_id,

    w.status AS state,

    w.percent_complete AS progress_percentage,

    w.start_time,

    w.end_time,

    w.est_completion_time AS estimated_completion_time,

    w.root_id,

    w.internal AS is_internal,

    w.order_id AS step_order,

    c.resource_type,

    c.resource_id,

    c.id AS command_id,

    c.client_cookie,

    c.user_name AS "user",

    c.metadata,

    c.client_address,

    response_body(r.*, w.*) AS response_body

   FROM work_unit w

     LEFT JOIN command c ON c.work_unit_id = w.id

     LEFT JOIN command_response r ON r.command_id::text = c.id::text;

Query that uses the DB view:

SELECT id, start_time

FROM job

order by id  LIMIT 101 OFFSET 0;

Explain plan: https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ

 Query using the raw SQL

<SQL from Job DB View definition>

ORDER BY id LIMIT 101 OFFSET 0;

Explain plan:https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:26 AM Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 5:44 PM Raj Gandhi <raj01gandhi@gmail.com> wrote:

> + pgsql-performance
>
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 6:41 PM Raj Gandhi <raj01gandhi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>

>> I’m using LIMIT offset with DB view. Looks like query planner is applying the LIMIT for DB view at the end after processing all rows.
>>
>> When running same SQL that was used to create the DB view, LIMIT is applied earlier so the query is much faster.
>>

>> Explain plan using DB view
>>
>> https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ
>>

>> Explain plan using raw SQL
>>
>> https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO
>>

>> In both tests LIMIT was 100 with offset  = 0.
>>
>> Is there any way to force DB view to apply limit earlier?

huh. OFFSET does indeed force a materialize plan.   This is a widely
used tactic to hack the planner ('OFFSET 0').

Maybe try converting your query from something like:

SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT m OFFSET N;
WITH data AS
(
  SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT m + n
)
SELECT * FROM foo OFFSET n;

I didn't try this, and it may not help, but it's worth a shot.

merlin

Re: LIMIT OFFSET with DB view vs plain SQL

От
Raj Gandhi
Дата:
Merlin,  I tried the hack you suggested but that didn't work. Planner used the same path.

The same query works much faster when using the raw SQL instead of  DB view:

Here is the definition of DB View ‘job’

 SELECT w.id,

    w.parent_id,

    w.status AS state,

    w.percent_complete AS progress_percentage,

    w.start_time,

    w.end_time,

    w.est_completion_time AS estimated_completion_time,

    w.root_id,

    w.internal AS is_internal,

    w.order_id AS step_order,

    c.resource_type,

    c.resource_id,

    c.id AS command_id,

    c.client_cookie,

    c.user_name AS "user",

    c.metadata,

    c.client_address,

    response_body(r.*, w.*) AS response_body

   FROM work_unit w

     LEFT JOIN command c ON c.work_unit_id = w.id

     LEFT JOIN command_response r ON r.command_id::text = c.id::text;

Query that uses the DB view:

SELECT id, start_time

FROM job

order by id  LIMIT 101 OFFSET 0;

Explain plan: https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ

 Query using the raw SQL

<SQL from Job DB View definition>

ORDER BY id LIMIT 101 OFFSET 0;

Explain plan:https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:26 AM Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 5:44 PM Raj Gandhi <raj01gandhi@gmail.com> wrote:

> + pgsql-performance
>
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 6:41 PM Raj Gandhi <raj01gandhi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>

>> I’m using LIMIT offset with DB view. Looks like query planner is applying the LIMIT for DB view at the end after processing all rows.
>>
>> When running same SQL that was used to create the DB view, LIMIT is applied earlier so the query is much faster.
>>

>> Explain plan using DB view
>>
>> https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ
>>

>> Explain plan using raw SQL
>>
>> https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO
>>

>> In both tests LIMIT was 100 with offset  = 0.
>>
>> Is there any way to force DB view to apply limit earlier?

huh. OFFSET does indeed force a materialize plan.   This is a widely
used tactic to hack the planner ('OFFSET 0').

Maybe try converting your query from something like:

SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT m OFFSET N;
WITH data AS
(
  SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT m + n
)
SELECT * FROM foo OFFSET n;

I didn't try this, and it may not help, but it's worth a shot.

merlin

Re: LIMIT OFFSET with DB view vs plain SQL

От
Raj Gandhi
Дата:
Any other idea how to resolve the performance issue with the database view?

Merlin,  I tried the hack you suggested but that didn't work. Planner used the same path.

The same query works much faster when using the raw SQL instead of  DB view:

Here is the definition of DB View ‘job’

 SELECT w.id,

    w.parent_id,

    w.status AS state,

    w.percent_complete AS progress_percentage,

    w.start_time,

    w.end_time,

    w.est_completion_time AS estimated_completion_time,

    w.root_id,

    w.internal AS is_internal,

    w.order_id AS step_order,

    c.resource_type,

    c.resource_id,

    c.id AS command_id,

    c.client_cookie,

    c.user_name AS "user",

    c.metadata,

    c.client_address,

    response_body(r.*, w.*) AS response_body

   FROM work_unit w

     LEFT JOIN command c ON c.work_unit_id = w.id

     LEFT JOIN command_response r ON r.command_id::text = c.id::text;

Query that uses the DB view:

SELECT id, start_time

FROM job

order by id  LIMIT 101 OFFSET 0;

Explain plan: https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ

 Query using the raw SQL

<SQL from Job DB View definition>

ORDER BY id LIMIT 101 OFFSET 0;

Explain plan:https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:26 AM Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 5:44 PM Raj Gandhi <raj01gandhi@gmail.com> wrote:

> + pgsql-performance
>
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 6:41 PM Raj Gandhi <raj01gandhi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>

>> I’m using LIMIT offset with DB view. Looks like query planner is applying the LIMIT for DB view at the end after processing all rows.
>>
>> When running same SQL that was used to create the DB view, LIMIT is applied earlier so the query is much faster.
>>

>> Explain plan using DB view
>>
>> https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ
>>

>> Explain plan using raw SQL
>>
>> https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO
>>

>> In both tests LIMIT was 100 with offset  = 0.
>>
>> Is there any way to force DB view to apply limit earlier?

huh. OFFSET does indeed force a materialize plan.   This is a widely
used tactic to hack the planner ('OFFSET 0').

Maybe try converting your query from something like:

SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT m OFFSET N;
WITH data AS
(
  SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT m + n
)
SELECT * FROM foo OFFSET n;

I didn't try this, and it may not help, but it's worth a shot.

merlin

Re: LIMIT OFFSET with DB view vs plain SQL

От
Raj Gandhi
Дата:
Any other idea how to resolve the performance issue with the database view?

Merlin,  I tried the hack you suggested but that didn't work. Planner used the same path.

The same query works much faster when using the raw SQL instead of  DB view:

Here is the definition of DB View ‘job’

 SELECT w.id,

    w.parent_id,

    w.status AS state,

    w.percent_complete AS progress_percentage,

    w.start_time,

    w.end_time,

    w.est_completion_time AS estimated_completion_time,

    w.root_id,

    w.internal AS is_internal,

    w.order_id AS step_order,

    c.resource_type,

    c.resource_id,

    c.id AS command_id,

    c.client_cookie,

    c.user_name AS "user",

    c.metadata,

    c.client_address,

    response_body(r.*, w.*) AS response_body

   FROM work_unit w

     LEFT JOIN command c ON c.work_unit_id = w.id

     LEFT JOIN command_response r ON r.command_id::text = c.id::text;

Query that uses the DB view:

SELECT id, start_time

FROM job

order by id  LIMIT 101 OFFSET 0;

Explain plan: https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ

 Query using the raw SQL

<SQL from Job DB View definition>

ORDER BY id LIMIT 101 OFFSET 0;

Explain plan:https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:26 AM Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 5:44 PM Raj Gandhi <raj01gandhi@gmail.com> wrote:

> + pgsql-performance
>
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 6:41 PM Raj Gandhi <raj01gandhi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>

>> I’m using LIMIT offset with DB view. Looks like query planner is applying the LIMIT for DB view at the end after processing all rows.
>>
>> When running same SQL that was used to create the DB view, LIMIT is applied earlier so the query is much faster.
>>

>> Explain plan using DB view
>>
>> https://explain.depesz.com/s/gzjQ
>>

>> Explain plan using raw SQL
>>
>> https://explain.depesz.com/s/KgwO
>>

>> In both tests LIMIT was 100 with offset  = 0.
>>
>> Is there any way to force DB view to apply limit earlier?

huh. OFFSET does indeed force a materialize plan.   This is a widely
used tactic to hack the planner ('OFFSET 0').

Maybe try converting your query from something like:

SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT m OFFSET N;
WITH data AS
(
  SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT m + n
)
SELECT * FROM foo OFFSET n;

I didn't try this, and it may not help, but it's worth a shot.

merlin

Re: LIMIT OFFSET with DB view vs plain SQL

От
Raj Gandhi
Дата:
Thanks Rui. The performance of using function is close to the plain SQL.

Why Query planner is choosing different path with DB view?

explain analyze select foo(101,0);
                                           QUERY PLAN
 ProjectSet  (cost=0.00..5.27 rows=1000 width=32) (actual time=10.340..10.374 rows=101 loops=1)
   ->  Result  (cost=0.00..0.01 rows=1 width=0) (actual time=0.001..0.001 rows=1 loops=1)
 Planning time: 0.035 ms
 Execution time: 10.436 ms
(4 rows)