Обсуждение: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
Hi,

Attached find a patch to fix $subject.

Thanks,
Amit

Вложения

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 01:43:32PM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached find a patch to fix $subject.

It is like that since 31bc604.  Andres, would you take care of it?  It
is your commit after all..
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2019-01-22 13:43:32 +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
> Attached find a patch to fix $subject.

Thanks, pushed to master and 11.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
On 2019/01/23 4:51, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2019-01-22 13:43:32 +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
>> Attached find a patch to fix $subject.
>
> Thanks, pushed to master and 11.

Thank you.

Regards,
Amit

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 1:16 PM Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> On 2019/01/23 4:51, Andres Freund wrote:
> > On 2019-01-22 13:43:32 +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
> >> Attached find a patch to fix $subject.
> >
> > Thanks, pushed to master and 11.
>
> Thank you.

It's not only the ending that's wrong.  Here are some more source
files whose IDENTIFICATION heading doesn't exactly match their path:

$ git grep -A 1 IDENTIFICATION | grep -v IDENTIFICATION | grep -v --
-- | sed 's/-[^a-z][^a-z]*/ /' | awk '{ if ($1 != $2) print; }'
doc/src/sgml/lobj.sgml src/test/examples/testlo.c
src/backend/catalog/pg_publication.c pg_publication.c
src/backend/commands/publicationcmds.c publicationcmds.c
src/backend/commands/subscriptioncmds.c subscriptioncmds.c
src/backend/jit/llvm/llvmjit_inline.cpp
src/backend/lib/llvmjit/llvmjit_inline.cpp
src/backend/jit/llvm/llvmjit_wrap.cpp src/backend/lib/llvm/llvmjit_wrap.cpp
src/backend/optimizer/util/appendinfo.c src/backend/optimizer/path/appendinfo.c
src/backend/optimizer/util/inherit.c src/backend/optimizer/path/inherit.c
src/backend/replication/logical/logicalfuncs.c
src/backend/replication/logicalfuncs.c
src/backend/replication/logical/reorderbuffer.c
src/backend/replication/reorderbuffer.c
src/backend/replication/logical/snapbuild.c src/backend/replication/snapbuild.c
src/backend/replication/pgoutput/Makefile src/backend/replication/pgoutput
src/backend/utils/adt/version.c
src/include/replication/pgoutput.h pgoutput.h

This could be really confusing for erm, future people reading a dot
matrix print-out of the source code?

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 01:37:41PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> It's not only the ending that's wrong.  Here are some more source
> files whose IDENTIFICATION heading doesn't exactly match their path:

Good point.

> $ git grep -A 1 IDENTIFICATION | grep -v IDENTIFICATION | grep -v --
> -- | sed 's/-[^a-z][^a-z]*/ /' | awk '{ if ($1 != $2) print; }'
> doc/src/sgml/lobj.sgml src/test/examples/testlo.c

Some noise?

> src/backend/catalog/pg_publication.c pg_publication.c
> src/backend/commands/publicationcmds.c publicationcmds.c
> src/backend/commands/subscriptioncmds.c subscriptioncmds.c
> src/backend/jit/llvm/llvmjit_inline.cpp
> src/backend/lib/llvmjit/llvmjit_inline.cpp
> src/backend/jit/llvm/llvmjit_wrap.cpp src/backend/lib/llvm/llvmjit_wrap.cpp
> src/backend/replication/logical/logicalfuncs.c
> src/backend/replication/logicalfuncs.c
> src/backend/replication/logical/reorderbuffer.c
> src/backend/replication/reorderbuffer.c
> src/backend/replication/logical/snapbuild.c src/backend/replication/snapbuild.c
> src/backend/replication/pgoutput/Makefile src/backend/replication/pgoutput
> src/include/replication/pgoutput.h pgoutput.h

Logical decoding, JIT and logical replication.

> src/backend/optimizer/util/appendinfo.c src/backend/optimizer/path/appendinfo.c
> src/backend/optimizer/util/inherit.c src/backend/optimizer/path/inherit.c

These two are recent, from b60c397.

> src/backend/utils/adt/version.c

This complains about the indentation?

> This could be really confusing for erm, future people reading a dot
> matrix print-out of the source code?

Yes, it would be nice to make all that consistent.  Perhaps the
authors of the related commits would prefer fix that themselves?
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
Hi Thomas,

On 2019/01/23 9:37, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 1:16 PM Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, pushed to master and 11.
>>
>> Thank you.
>
> It's not only the ending that's wrong.  Here are some more source
> files whose IDENTIFICATION heading doesn't exactly match their path:
>
> $ git grep -A 1 IDENTIFICATION | grep -v IDENTIFICATION | grep -v --
> -- | sed 's/-[^a-z][^a-z]*/ /' | awk '{ if ($1 != $2) print; }'
> doc/src/sgml/lobj.sgml src/test/examples/testlo.c
> src/backend/catalog/pg_publication.c pg_publication.c
> src/backend/commands/publicationcmds.c publicationcmds.c
> src/backend/commands/subscriptioncmds.c subscriptioncmds.c
> src/backend/jit/llvm/llvmjit_inline.cpp
> src/backend/lib/llvmjit/llvmjit_inline.cpp
> src/backend/jit/llvm/llvmjit_wrap.cpp src/backend/lib/llvm/llvmjit_wrap.cpp
> src/backend/optimizer/util/appendinfo.c src/backend/optimizer/path/appendinfo.c
> src/backend/optimizer/util/inherit.c src/backend/optimizer/path/inherit.c

(I introduced this one.)

> src/backend/replication/logical/logicalfuncs.c
> src/backend/replication/logicalfuncs.c
> src/backend/replication/logical/reorderbuffer.c
> src/backend/replication/reorderbuffer.c
> src/backend/replication/logical/snapbuild.c src/backend/replication/snapbuild.c
> src/backend/replication/pgoutput/Makefile src/backend/replication/pgoutput
> src/backend/utils/adt/version.c
> src/include/replication/pgoutput.h pgoutput.h

Oops.  In fact, my colleague just pointed that out to me about the files I
sent a patch upthread for.

> This could be really confusing for erm, future people reading a dot
> matrix print-out of the source code?

Heh.  Actually, I'm not sure which existing tools these IDENTIFICATION
lines are for, but maybe someone somewhere relies on these.  Or maybe not,
because they'd have noticed by now. :)

Thanks,
Amit

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2019-01-23 09:55:22 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 01:37:41PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > This could be really confusing for erm, future people reading a dot
> > matrix print-out of the source code?

I think we should just rip them out. It's useless noise.

> Yes, it would be nice to make all that consistent.  Perhaps the
> authors of the related commits would prefer fix that themselves?

That sounds like a waste of effort. This is fixing up useless
anachronisms, I don't understand what'd be gained by splitting this up
over multiple people.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

RE: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
"Moon, Insung"

> > > Thanks, pushed to master and 11.
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> It's not only the ending that's wrong.  Here are some more source files whose IDENTIFICATION heading doesn't exactly
match
> their path:

I found the same problem as you while checking the typo patch.
So I attached a patch that modified the correct file path in IDENTIFICATION.

Regards.
Moon.

> $ git grep -A 1 IDENTIFICATION | grep -v IDENTIFICATION | grep -v --
> -- | sed 's/-[^a-z][^a-z]*/ /' | awk '{ if ($1 != $2) print; }'
> doc/src/sgml/lobj.sgml src/test/examples/testlo.c src/backend/catalog/pg_publication.c pg_publication.c
> src/backend/commands/publicationcmds.c publicationcmds.c src/backend/commands/subscriptioncmds.c subscriptioncmds.c
> src/backend/jit/llvm/llvmjit_inline.cpp
> src/backend/lib/llvmjit/llvmjit_inline.cpp
> src/backend/jit/llvm/llvmjit_wrap.cpp src/backend/lib/llvm/llvmjit_wrap.cpp
> src/backend/optimizer/util/appendinfo.c src/backend/optimizer/path/appendinfo.c
> src/backend/optimizer/util/inherit.c src/backend/optimizer/path/inherit.c
> src/backend/replication/logical/logicalfuncs.c
> src/backend/replication/logicalfuncs.c
> src/backend/replication/logical/reorderbuffer.c
> src/backend/replication/reorderbuffer.c
> src/backend/replication/logical/snapbuild.c src/backend/replication/snapbuild.c
> src/backend/replication/pgoutput/Makefile src/backend/replication/pgoutput src/backend/utils/adt/version.c
> src/include/replication/pgoutput.h pgoutput.h
>
> This could be really confusing for erm, future people reading a dot matrix print-out of the source code?
>
> --
> Thomas Munro
> http://www.enterprisedb.com

Вложения

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 2:02 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 01:37:41PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > > This could be really confusing for erm, future people reading a dot
> > > matrix print-out of the source code?
>
> I think we should just rip them out. It's useless noise.

+1

IDENTIFICATION used to show magic CVS keywords, which was standard
practice back then and probably useful.  Now it's just a useless path,
because Magnus removed the keywords 10 years ago in commit
9f2e2113869.

The function name comments are similar, though less consistent so I'm
too lazy to write a script to find one that is actually wrong (with
which to trigger Andres's let's-delete-them-all response :-D).  At
least in the planner code, I think those might originally have been
documentation of the names of the Lisp functions that each C function
was ported from (for example in 4.2 source, sort_inner_and_outer's
comment says "sort-inner-and-outer", a Lispy spelling).  Bruce
delispified some of them 20 years ago in commit 6724a507874.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2019-01-23 14:43:15 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> The function name comments are similar, though less consistent so I'm
> too lazy to write a script to find one that is actually wrong (with
> which to trigger Andres's let's-delete-them-all response :-D).

I wish function comment styles were more consistent, but there's *SO*
many styles, that I think it's hard to nicely automate it. And it's much
more likely to cause conflicts than removing IDENTIFICATION. So...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 05:49:46PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2019-01-23 14:43:15 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> The function name comments are similar, though less consistent so I'm
>> too lazy to write a script to find one that is actually wrong (with
>> which to trigger Andres's let's-delete-them-all response :-D).

I am not sure if anybody uses them for anything automatically, still I
find myself from time to time looking at them to remember on which
path the file is located when opened in emacs.  So I still like having
those references, perhaps I am just a minority.  Being in the minority
is usually a cool thing, still if you wish ripping all these out it's
not like I'll cry for that, so please feel free to do as you see fit.

> I wish function comment styles were more consistent, but there's *SO*
> many styles, that I think it's hard to nicely automate it. And it's much
> more likely to cause conflicts than removing IDENTIFICATION. So...

Yes, I am usually more annoyed by the inconsistency of the function
upper blocks than IDENTIFICATION...  So I just try to stick with
keeping any new code consistent with the surroundings.  Making
back-patching harder than it is now is not really appealing, so I'd be
-1 for doing any consistency work.  Patching six branches for the same
patch is already a lot of work.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

Дата:
> I am not sure if anybody uses them for anything automatically, still I
> find myself from time to time looking at them to remember on which
> path the file is located when opened in emacs.  So I still like having
> those references, perhaps I am just a minority.

FWIW, I like having them too, though I agree it's not super important.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Andrew Gierth
Дата:

 [IDENTIFICATION]

 Andres> I think we should just rip them out. It's useless noise.

+1

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2019-01-23 12:01:10 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 05:49:46PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> > On 2019-01-23 14:43:15 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> >> The function name comments are similar, though less consistent so I'm
> >> too lazy to write a script to find one that is actually wrong (with
> >> which to trigger Andres's let's-delete-them-all response :-D).
>
> I am not sure if anybody uses them for anything automatically, still I
> find myself from time to time looking at them to remember on which
> path the file is located when opened in emacs.

I often want to know that too - isn't it easier to just meta-x f and see
the directory displayed? Because that doesn't require jumping to the
head of the file...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

Дата:
>> I am not sure if anybody uses them for anything automatically, still I
>> find myself from time to time looking at them to remember on which
>> path the file is located when opened in emacs.

> I often want to know that too - isn't it easier to just meta-x f and see
> the directory displayed? Because that doesn't require jumping to the
> head of the file...

My own workflow often involves editing copies that are not in the original
directory, so that answer doesn't work for me.  In general it won't work
anytime you are looking at a file out-of-context.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Typo: llvm*.cpp files identified as llvm*.c

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 7:24 PM Andrew Gierth
<andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> wrote:

>  [IDENTIFICATION]
>
>  Andres> I think we should just rip them out. It's useless noise.
>
> +1

Here's a patch like that.

 948 files changed, 3215 deletions(-)

--