Обсуждение: Alter table documentation page (again)

Alter table documentation page (again)

От
Lætitia Avrot
Дата:
Hi,

I was trying to answer a former colleague question about postgres' default behaviour when deleting or updating when she pointed out that Postgres alter table documentation page used twice the 'action' keywords for two different things.

And indeed she is right :
- it's used to described any action actionable with ALTER TABLE statement
- and also to reference action taken on update or delete

Here are my thoughts about that conflict :
- We should keep the action keyword for on update or on delete action as it's what's done on the CREATE TABLE documentation page.
- Option 1: We could either categorized the "actions" we can do with ALTER TABLE (as column_action, trigger_action, constraint_action, rule_action, other_action), but I'm not a big fan of "other_action" and I can't think of another name
- Option 2: Or we could just rename the first action as "alter-table_action"

Any thought ? Which option do you prefer ? I can write the patch, but I'd like to know what you think about that.

Anyway, thanks to Brigitte Blanc-Lafay tohave pointed this out! :-)

Cheers,

Lætitia
--
Think! Do you really need to print this email ?
There is no Planet B.

Re: Alter table documentation page (again)

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2018-Dec-06, Lætitia Avrot wrote:

> Any thought ? Which option do you prefer ? I can write the patch, but I'd
> like to know what you think about that.

I'd rename the action in ON DELETE/UPDATE to referential_action, both in
alter_table and in create_table (the latter just for consistency).

Re: Alter table documentation page (again)

От
Lætitia Avrot

I'd rename the action in ON DELETE/UPDATE to referential_action, both in
alter_table and in create_table (the latter just for consistency).

I love that "option 3" !  So clever!

Re: Alter table documentation page (again)

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2018-Dec-06, Lætitia Avrot wrote:

> > I'd rename the action in ON DELETE/UPDATE to referential_action, both in
> > alter_table and in create_table (the latter just for consistency).
>
> I love that "option 3" !  So clever!

Thanks :-)  I checked the SQL standard after sending that email, and
indeed it calls those elements <referential action>.  Go figure.

Re: Alter table documentation page (again)

От
Lætitia Avrot
Дата:
Hi all,

Here's the patch.
The patch should apply to MASTER. I built and tested it successfully on my laptop.

I'll add it to January's commitfest.

Cheers,

Lætitia

Вложения

Re: Alter table documentation page (again)

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 07:48:39PM +0100, Lætitia Avrot wrote:
> Here's the patch.
> The patch should apply to MASTER. I built and tested it successfully on my
> laptop.
>
> I'll add it to January's commitfest.

What's proposed here looks good to me, and all the grounds are
covered, so I am switching the patch as ready for committer.

Álvaro, perhaps you would prefer committing it yourself?
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Alter table documentation page (again)

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 01:46:48PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> What's proposed here looks good to me, and all the grounds are
> covered, so I am switching the patch as ready for committer.

And committed, mentioning on the way Brigitte for the report.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Alter table documentation page (again)

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2018-Dec-28, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 01:46:48PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > What's proposed here looks good to me, and all the grounds are
> > covered, so I am switching the patch as ready for committer.
>
> And committed, mentioning on the way Brigitte for the report.

Thanks, I was not paying attention here.