Обсуждение: Can long-running VACUUM be interrupted?

Can long-running VACUUM be interrupted?

От
Andrey Zhidenkov
Дата:
I have long-running prevent wraparound VACUUM (it has been running for
6 days at the moment). The question is: if I interrupt this process in
some way (restart database, for instance), will it start from the
beginning? On the one hand, it opens a new transaction at the
beginning (according to the source code), on the other hand it updates
some data on the disk (WAL?). It confuses me. Could someone please
explain me this?
-
With best regards, Andrey Zhidenkov

Re: Can long-running VACUUM be interrupted?

От
Adrien NAYRAT
Дата:
On 11/20/18 4:58 AM, Andrey Zhidenkov wrote:
> I have long-running prevent wraparound VACUUM (it has been running for
> 6 days at the moment). The question is: if I interrupt this process in
> some way (restart database, for instance), will it start from the
> beginning? On the one hand, it opens a new transaction at the
> beginning (according to the source code), on the other hand it updates
> some data on the disk (WAL?). It confuses me. Could someone please
> explain me this?
> -
> With best regards, Andrey Zhidenkov

Hi Andrez,

You could interrupt with pg_cancel_backend function, but autovacuum will
restart after autovacuum_naptime delay (1min by default).

If you are 9.6+, Postgres will be able to skip already frozen row on the
table, but it will scan all indexes from the beginning.

Why do you want to interrupt? This kind of vacuum is necessary to avoid
wraparound:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/routine-vacuuming.html#VACUUM-FOR-WRAPAROUND

Regards,