Обсуждение: Change pg_attribute textual link to an actual link

Change pg_attribute textual link to an actual link

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
In the System catalog/pg_attrdef documentation, there is a reference to
pg_attribute with the text “see below”.  That makes sense in the PDF version
(and similar renderings), but in the web version it seems a bit odd as
pg_attribute is on the next page, not below.

The attached patch changes it to an actual link instead, but simply removing
the “see below” bit is another approach which isn’t out of line with other
parts of the documentation (I opted for link since I personally prefer that).

cheers ./daniel

Вложения

Re: Change pg_attribute textual link to an actual link

Дата:
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> In the System catalog/pg_attrdef documentation, there is a reference to
> pg_attribute with the text "see below".  That makes sense in the PDF version
> (and similar renderings), but in the web version it seems a bit odd as
> pg_attribute is on the next page, not below.

> The attached patch changes it to an actual link instead, but simply removing
> the "see below" bit is another approach which isn't out of line with other
> parts of the documentation (I opted for link since I personally prefer that).

I agree with your change, but I wonder if the sentence after this one
doesn't need some work too.  It seems to predate ALTER COLUMN SET DEFAULT.
We could add a mention of that, or just stop trying to describe the
preconditions, and say something like "only columns for which a default
value has been explicitly set will have an entry here".

            regards, tom lane

Re: Change pg_attribute textual link to an actual link

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 22 Oct 2018, at 01:27, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>> In the System catalog/pg_attrdef documentation, there is a reference to
>> pg_attribute with the text "see below".  That makes sense in the PDF version
>> (and similar renderings), but in the web version it seems a bit odd as
>> pg_attribute is on the next page, not below.
>
>> The attached patch changes it to an actual link instead, but simply removing
>> the "see below" bit is another approach which isn't out of line with other
>> parts of the documentation (I opted for link since I personally prefer that).
>
> I agree with your change, but I wonder if the sentence after this one
> doesn't need some work too.  It seems to predate ALTER COLUMN SET DEFAULT.
> We could add a mention of that, or just stop trying to describe the
> preconditions, and say something like "only columns for which a default
> value has been explicitly set will have an entry here”.

I think your latter suggestion pretty much covers all we need, so updated the
patch with that too.

cheers ./daniel

Вложения

Re: Change pg_attribute textual link to an actual link

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 12:09:41PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> I think your latter suggestion pretty much covers all we need, so updated the
> patch with that too.

Both the patch and the suggestions made look good to me, so committed.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Change pg_attribute textual link to an actual link

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 29 Oct 2018, at 08:39, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 12:09:41PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> I think your latter suggestion pretty much covers all we need, so updated the
>> patch with that too.
>
> Both the patch and the suggestions made look good to me, so committed.

Thanks! I updated the status in the CF app to Committed.

cheers ./daniel