Обсуждение: We are facing "PANIC: could not read from control file:Success errorwhile starting the database.

We are facing "PANIC: could not read from control file:Success errorwhile starting the database.

От
Raghavendra Rao J S V
Дата:
Hi All,

archive_mode is turned on unfortunately in my Postgres 9.2 database.

Due to that disk space is full 100%. We have removed few old xlog files. Now space is available.But still we are facing below problem when we try to start the database.

PANIC: could not read from control file:Success

Please help me to resolve the above error.

Raghavendra Rao J S V

Re: We are facing "PANIC: could not read from control file:Successerror while starting the database.

От
Andreas Kretschmer

Am 04.10.2018 um 17:29 schrieb Raghavendra Rao J S V:
> Hi All,
>
> *archive_mode *is turned *on *unfortunately in my Postgres 9.2 database.
>
> Due to that disk space is full 100%. We have removed few old xlog
> files. Now space is available.But still we are facing below problem
> when we try to start the database.

Don't delete WAL-files!

If you don't want the archive_mode you can set it to off (restart
required) or set archive_command to, for instance: "cd ." or
"/bin/true", that requires only a reload.
After some time (checkpoint) the files will disappear and the space
should be back.

Regards, Andreas

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: We are facing "PANIC: could not read from control file:Successerror while starting the database.

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 4:29 AM Raghavendra Rao J S V
<raghavendrajsv@gmail.com> wrote:
> PANIC: could not read from control file:Success

That means that the pg_control file is the wrong size.  What size is
it?  What filesystem is this, that allowed an out-of-space condition
to result in a file being truncated?  Normally we only overwrite that
file, so after creation it should stay the same size.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 at 07:06, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 4:29 AM Raghavendra Rao J S V
<raghavendrajsv@gmail.com> wrote:
> PANIC: could not read from control file:Success

That means that the pg_control file is the wrong size.  What size is
it?  What filesystem is this, that allowed an out-of-space condition
to result in a file being truncated?  Normally we only overwrite that
file, so after creation it should stay the same size.

Size of the pg_control file is 42kb. We are using "CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 (Core)".

Permissions and size of the file are present as expected.

Kindly guide me how to handle this kind of error?

Log file showing errors as below.

   Kindly guide me how to handle this kind of error?

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Raghavendra Rao J S V
Mobile- 8861161425

Re: We are facing "PANIC: could not read from control file:Successerror while starting the database.

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
Raghavendra Rao J S V wrote:
> archive_mode is turned on unfortunately in my Postgres 9.2 database.
>
> Due to that disk space is full 100%. We have removed few old xlog files. Now space is available.But still we are
facingbelow problem when we try to start the database.

> PANIC: could not read from control file:Success
>
> Please help me to resolve the above error.

Time to restore from backup, and then upgrade to a more recent
PostgreSQL version.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe