Обсуждение: Bug in slot.c and are replication slots ever used at Window?

Bug in slot.c and are replication slots ever used at Window?

От
Konstantin Knizhnik
Дата:
Hi hackers,

I am really confused.  If my conclusions are correct, then nobody ever
tried to use replication slots at Windows!
The function RestoreSlotFromDisk in slot.c contains the following code:

static void
RestoreSlotFromDisk(const char *name)
{
     ReplicationSlotOnDisk cp;
     int            i;
     char        path[MAXPGPATH + 22];
     int            fd;
     bool        restored = false;
     int            readBytes;
     pg_crc32c    checksum;

     /* no need to lock here, no concurrent access allowed yet */

     /* delete temp file if it exists */
     sprintf(path, "pg_replslot/%s/state.tmp", name);
     if (unlink(path) < 0 && errno != ENOENT)
         ereport(PANIC,
                 (errcode_for_file_access(),
                  errmsg("could not remove file \"%s\": %m", path)));

     sprintf(path, "pg_replslot/%s/state", name);

     elog(DEBUG1, "restoring replication slot from \"%s\"", path);

     fd = OpenTransientFile(path, O_RDWR | PG_BINARY);

     /*
      * We do not need to handle this as we are rename()ing the
directory into
      * place only after we fsync()ed the state file.
      */
     if (fd < 0)
         ereport(PANIC,
                 (errcode_for_file_access(),
                  errmsg("could not open file \"%s\": %m", path)));

     /*
      * Sync state file before we're reading from it. We might have crashed
      * while it wasn't synced yet and we shouldn't continue on that basis.
      */
pgstat_report_wait_start(WAIT_EVENT_REPLICATION_SLOT_RESTORE_SYNC);
     if (pg_fsync(fd) != 0)
     {
         int            save_errno = errno;

         CloseTransientFile(fd);
         errno = save_errno;
         ereport(PANIC,
                 (errcode_for_file_access(),
                  errmsg("could not fsync file \"%s\": %m",
                         path)));
     }
     pgstat_report_wait_end();

     /* Also sync the parent directory */
     START_CRIT_SECTION();
     fsync_fname(path, true);
     END_CRIT_SECTION();

Please notice that fsync_fname with comment "also sync parent directory"
is called for path of the file!
fsync_fname in turn does the following:

   /*
  * fsync_fname -- Try to fsync a file or directory
  *
  * Ignores errors trying to open unreadable files, or trying to fsync
  * directories on systems where that isn't allowed/required. Reports
  * other errors non-fatally.
  */
int
fsync_fname(const char *fname, bool isdir, const char *progname)
{
     int            fd;
     int            flags;
     int            returncode;

     /*
      * Some OSs require directories to be opened read-only whereas other
      * systems don't allow us to fsync files opened read-only; so we
need both
      * cases here.  Using O_RDWR will cause us to fail to fsync files
that are
      * not writable by our userid, but we assume that's OK.
      */
     flags = PG_BINARY;
     if (!isdir)
         flags |= O_RDWR;
     else
         flags |= O_RDONLY;

     /*
      * Open the file, silently ignoring errors about unreadable files (or
      * unsupported operations, e.g. opening a directory under Windows), and
      * logging others.
      */
     fd = open(fname, flags);
     if (fd < 0)
     {
         if (errno == EACCES || (isdir && errno == EISDIR))
             return 0;
         fprintf(stderr, _("%s: could not open file \"%s\": %s\n"),
                 progname, fname, strerror(errno));
         return -1;
     }

     returncode = fsync(fd);

So if "isdir" is true (and it is true in this case), it sets O_RDONLY flag.
Then fsync_fname successfully opens slot file in readonly mode and calls
fsync() which at windows
is substituted with _commit() which in turn is wrapper for FlushFileBuffers.
Finally FlushFileBuffers returns ERROR_ACCESS_DENINED which cause
assertion failure in _commit:

if ( !FlushFileBuffers((HANDLE)_get_osfhandle(filedes)) ) {
              retval = GetLastError();
      }
      else {
              retval = 0;     /* return success */
      }

      /* map the OS return code to C errno value and return code */
      if (retval == 0)
              goto good;

      _doserrno = retval;

              }

      errno = EBADF;
      retval = -1;

      _ASSERTE(("Invalid file descriptor. File possibly closed by a different thread",0));

I think that the problem happen only with debug version of postgres.
Release version will just return error in this case which is silently ignored by RestoreSlotFromDisk function.

I think that bug fix is trivial: we just need to use fsync_parent_path instead of fsync_fname in RestoreSlotFromDisk.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: Bug in slot.c and are replication slots ever used at Window?

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 11:00:43AM +0300, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:
> So if "isdir" is true (and it is true in this case), it sets O_RDONLY
> flag.  Then fsync_fname successfully opens slot file in readonly mode
> and calls fsync() which at windows is substituted with _commit() which
> in turn is wrapper for FlushFileBuffers.

It seems to me that you are right here, "path" points to
pg_replslot/$SLOTNAME/state which is a file so the fsync is incorrect.
I am not sure that we'd want to publish fsync_parent_path out of fd.c
though, so perhaps we could just save the slot path in a different
variable and use it?
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Bug in slot.c and are replication slots ever used at Window?

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
Hi Konstantin,

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 11:27:31AM -0700, Michael Paquier wrote:
> It seems to me that you are right here, "path" points to
> pg_replslot/$SLOTNAME/state which is a file so the fsync is incorrect.
> I am not sure that we'd want to publish fsync_parent_path out of fd.c
> though, so perhaps we could just save the slot path in a different
> variable and use it?

I have spent more time on this bug, and the code path you have pointed
at is the only one having such an issue.  Attached is a patch to fix the
problem.  It includes the sanity checks I have used to check all code
paths calling fsync_fname() for both the frontend and the backend code.

The checks will not be included in the final fix, still they look useful
so I am planning to start a new thread on the matter as perhaps other
folks have more and/or better ideas.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Bug in slot.c and are replication slots ever used at Window?

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 11:46:47AM -0700, Michael Paquier wrote:
> The checks will not be included in the final fix, still they look useful
> so I am planning to start a new thread on the matter as perhaps other
> folks have more and/or better ideas.

Pushed the fix down to 9.4, without the extra sanity checks.
--
Michael

Вложения