Обсуждение: Postgresql

Postgresql

От
Sonam Sharma

I am planning to migrate my db from db2 to postgresql. Before that I wanted to know is postgresql better than db2? Is it completely free ? Any performance issues or any limitations?
Вложения

Re: Postgresql

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 08/19/2018 10:53 AM, Sonam Sharma wrote:

> I am planning to migrate my db from db2 to postgresql. Before that I
> wanted to know is postgresql better than db2? Is it completely free ?
> Any performance issues or any limitations?

Yes, yes, depends

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Postgresql

От
Sonam Sharma
Дата:
Thank you! Can you please help me with any advantages/disadvantages.. my db size is less than 10gb. I am very new to this.

On Sun, Aug 19, 2018, 11:25 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 08/19/2018 10:53 AM, Sonam Sharma wrote:

> I am planning to migrate my db from db2 to postgresql. Before that I
> wanted to know is postgresql better than db2? Is it completely free ?
> Any performance issues or any limitations?

Yes, yes, depends

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Postgresql

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 08/19/2018 10:56 AM, Sonam Sharma wrote:
> Thank you! Can you please help me with any advantages/disadvantages.. my
> db size is less than 10gb. I am very new to this.

I would start here:

https://www.postgresql.org/about/

> On Sun, Aug 19, 2018, 11:25 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 08/19/2018 10:53 AM, Sonam Sharma wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > I am planning to migrate my db from db2 to postgresql. Before that I
>      > wanted to know is postgresql better than db2? Is it completely
>     free ?
>      > Any performance issues or any limitations?
>
>     Yes, yes, depends
>
>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Postgresql

От
Christophe Pettus
Дата:
> On Aug 19, 2018, at 10:56, Sonam Sharma <sonams1209@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you! Can you please help me with any advantages/disadvantages.. my db size is less than 10gb. I am very new to
this.

That's a topic far too broad for a simple mailing list thread.  PostgreSQL is extremely feature-complete, but how it
performson any particular database will vary considerably.

The good news is that for a database of that size, it's easy to install it and test it against your workload.  That's
reallythe only practical way of telling if it will be suitable for you.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   xof@thebuild.com

Re: Postgresql

От
Chris Travers

Thank you! Can you please help me with any advantages/disadvantages.. my db size is less than 10gb. I am very new to this.

At 10GB you are unlikely to hit performance limitations that make you think about how to use PostgreSQL more effectively.  You will have to avoid doing the sorts of things you want to avoid doing on all databases.

DB2 and PostgreSQL are both very feature-rich databases but in somewhat different directions.   For example, DB2 has more storage options than PostgreSQL does.   But again at 10GB it is unlikely you will have to worry about these.

Where PostgreSQL really shines is in generally workload tuning and programmability.  Especially programmability.  PostgreSQL is extremely extensible and this means not only can you build your own extensions for whatever you need to do (assuming some skill) but there are tons of extensions you can use for free including great ones like PostGIS.

Generally you can expect at 10GB to have to avoid needless complexity like repeated sequential scans. Indexing becomes a bit important.  By 100GB you have to pay significant attention to index strategies and disk access.  I am aware of single databases of up to 50TB in size used in production and federated storage environments into the petabytes.

In general I can think of no reason not to use PostgreSQL unless your salary depends on paying license fees....

On Sun, Aug 19, 2018, 11:25 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 08/19/2018 10:53 AM, Sonam Sharma wrote:

> I am planning to migrate my db from db2 to postgresql. Before that I
> wanted to know is postgresql better than db2? Is it completely free ?
> Any performance issues or any limitations?

Yes, yes, depends

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.

Re: Postgresql

От
pinker