Обсуждение: pg_ctl pointing postgres 9.5.4 after installation of postgres 10

pg_ctl pointing postgres 9.5.4 after installation of postgres 10

От
Debraj Manna
Дата:
Hi

I have updated postgres from 9.5.4 to the latest 10.4.

But after installation I am seeing

support@platform1:/usr/bin$ ls -lah pg_ctl
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Jun 13 08:59 pg_ctl -> /usr/lib/postgresql/9.5/bin/pg_ctl

The issue appears similiar to the one discussed here https://stackoverflow.com/a/24763074/785523.

To install postgres 10 I have followed the below steps:-
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ trusty-pgdg main"
wget --quiet -O - https://www.postgresql.org/media/keys/ACCC4CF8.asc | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install postgresql-10
Then performed the data migration using pg_upgrade and then removed postgres 9.5

Now posgres -V is also failing with the below error

support@platform1:/usr/bin$ postgres -V
The program 'postgres' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install postgres-xc

Can someone let me know what is wrong and how can I fix it?

Re: pg_ctl pointing postgres 9.5.4 after installation of postgres 10

От
Debraj Manna

[...]

Rajni Baliyan
Дата:
Have you set the correct environment variables after upgrade?
Your environment variables are still pointing to older version.
Set PATH to PG 10 binaries and then retry.

Regards
Rajni

--
Thanks
Regards,

Re: pg_ctl pointing postgres 9.5.4 after installation of postgres 10

От
Debraj Manna
Дата:
Can you explain this a bit more? You meant to say I should add postgres binary location in PATH variable after installation?

[...]

Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
What I suspect has happened is that:

- you have 10.4 installed

- you have 9.5 *client only* (as a result of upgrade or manual removal
of the server package)

Examine /usr/lib/postgresql/, you will probably see a 9.5 and 10
directory (but the 9.5 one probably won't have a postgres binary).

If you set PATH to have /usr/lib/postgresql/10/bin in front of
everything else then you will get you 10.4 binaries. However this is a
bit of a pain - I think you can make life simpler by using
'update-alternatives' to make postgres version 10 the default instead of
9.5 - or remove all the 9.5 packages (*but* if removing be careful that
you really don't have any 9.5 databases under /var/lib/postgresql/9.5
first...otherwise you will be reaching for your backups - at this point
I should ask you do have backups right)?

So perhaps do a bit more investigation, and report back here before
removing anything :-)

regards

Mark

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51802990/pg-ctl-still-pointing-to-9-5-4-after-upgrade-to-postgres-10-in-ubuntu-14