Обсуждение: Document the limit on the number of parameters

Document the limit on the number of parameters

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-prepare.html

The backend protocol limits the number of parameters that can be passed for
a prepared statement to 32767 (2 byte signed integer).

As that is something that is independent of the client library, I think this
should be documented in the user facing manual for the Postgres server
somewhere.

I did not find anything in the chapter about PREPARE
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-prepare.html or about the
backend protocol:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/protocol.html nor on the FAQ
page: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ

Re: Document the limit on the number of parameters

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 01:25:08PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-prepare.html
>
> The backend protocol limits the number of parameters that can be passed for
> a prepared statement to 32767 (2 byte signed integer).
>
> As that is something that is independent of the client library, I think this
> should be documented in the user facing manual for the Postgres server
> somewhere.
>
> I did not find anything in the chapter about PREPARE
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-prepare.html or about the
> backend protocol:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/protocol.html nor on the FAQ
> page: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ

Uh, is this something people will care about?

Re: Document the limit on the number of parameters

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 01:25:08PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> > The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:
> >
> > Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-prepare.html
> >
> > The backend protocol limits the number of parameters that can be passed for
> > a prepared statement to 32767 (2 byte signed integer).
> >
> > As that is something that is independent of the client library, I think this
> > should be documented in the user facing manual for the Postgres server
> > somewhere.
> >
> > I did not find anything in the chapter about PREPARE
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-prepare.html or about the
> > backend protocol:
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/protocol.html nor on the FAQ
> > page: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ
>
> Uh, is this something people will care about?

Seems like a limitation in the backend protocol should probably be
documented in the backend protocol section of the docs..

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения

Re: Document the limit on the number of parameters

Дата:
> * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 01:25:08PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
>>> The backend protocol limits the number of parameters that can be passed for
>>> a prepared statement to 32767 (2 byte signed integer).

>> Uh, is this something people will care about?

> Seems like a limitation in the backend protocol should probably be
> documented in the backend protocol section of the docs..

It is: the definition of the Bind message format says that the parameter
count is an int16.

The question is whether this deserves to be cross-referenced from
elsewhere.  I agree with Bruce that it seems unlikely to be helpful.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Document the limit on the number of parameters

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings Tom,

* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:
>
> >> Uh, is this something people will care about?
>
> > Seems like a limitation in the backend protocol should probably be
> > documented in the backend protocol section of the docs..
>
> It is: the definition of the Bind message format says that the parameter
> count is an int16.
>
> The question is whether this deserves to be cross-referenced from
> elsewhere.  I agree with Bruce that it seems unlikely to be helpful.

Ah, I read the original poster as saying that it wasn't in the protocol
docs.  If it's there already then I agree, that's sufficient.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения