Обсуждение: correcting tablespaces inside data folder

correcting tablespaces inside data folder

От
Duarte Carreira
Дата:
Hello.

Yes I'm one of those guys who only recently realized the mess of having tablespaces inside the data directory... now I want to use pg_upgrade and it will make things even worse...

Does anyone have a best approach to this problem? Fastest/safest?

pg 9.3.x on win

Thanks,
Duarte

Re: correcting tablespaces inside data folder

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Yes I'm one of those guys who only recently realized the mess of having tablespaces inside the data directory... now I want to use pg_upgrade and it will make things even worse...

Does anyone have a best approach to this problem? Fastest/safest?

pg 9.3.x on win

If you can afford to shut the server down, the easiest is to shut it down, move the tablespaces (with mv, and as long as you stay within the partition it should be almost instant), update the symlinks to point to the new location, and start it up again.

--

Re: correcting tablespaces inside data folder

От
Duarte Carreira
Дата:
Magnus,
You mean changing the symlinks inside pg_tblspc?

Yes I'm one of those guys who only recently realized the mess of having tablespaces inside the data directory... now I want to use pg_upgrade and it will make things even worse...

Does anyone have a best approach to this problem? Fastest/safest?

pg 9.3.x on win

If you can afford to shut the server down, the easiest is to shut it down, move the tablespaces (with mv, and as long as you stay within the partition it should be almost instant), update the symlinks to point to the new location, and start it up again.

--

Re: correcting tablespaces inside data folder

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
(please don't top-post. It makes it hard to follow discussions)

You mean changing the symlinks inside pg_tblspc?

Yes. As long as the server is shut down, you can modify those symlinks.

Yes I'm one of those guys who only recently realized the mess of having tablespaces inside the data directory... now I want to use pg_upgrade and it will make things even worse...

Does anyone have a best approach to this problem? Fastest/safest?

pg 9.3.x on win

If you can afford to shut the server down, the easiest is to shut it down, move the tablespaces (with mv, and as long as you stay within the partition it should be almost instant), update the symlinks to point to the new location, and start it up again.

Re: correcting tablespaces inside data folder

От
Duarte Carreira

(please don't top-post. It makes it hard to follow discussions)

You mean changing the symlinks inside pg_tblspc?

Yes. As long as the server is shut down, you can modify those symlinks.

Ok, I'll try on my laptop and see how it goes.
Thanks.

Yes I'm one of those guys who only recently realized the mess of having tablespaces inside the data directory... now I want to use pg_upgrade and it will make things even worse...

Does anyone have a best approach to this problem? Fastest/safest?

pg 9.3.x on win

If you can afford to shut the server down, the easiest is to shut it down, move the tablespaces (with mv, and as long as you stay within the partition it should be almost instant), update the symlinks to point to the new location, and start it up again.

Re: correcting tablespaces inside data folder

От
Duarte Carreira
Дата:
Hi.
(please don't top-post. It makes it hard to follow discussions)

You mean changing the symlinks inside pg_tblspc?

Yes. As long as the server is shut down, you can modify those symlinks.

Ok, I'll try on my laptop and see how it goes.
Thanks.

Update: everything seems to be working fine.
On windows you can't change the symlinks (called junctions on windows). You have to delete them with rd symlimk_id, and then recreate them pointing to the new location with:
mklink /J symlink_id path_to_new_location

Have to be specially carefull to recreate the symlinks correctly!

Thanks again.
Duarte