Обсуждение: Runtime partition pruning for MergeAppend

Runtime partition pruning for MergeAppend

От
David Rowley
Дата:
Back in the v11 cycle, there was just not quite enough time to get the
MergeAppend run-time partition pruning patch in.

I've attached v24 of this patch.  The only changes done from v23 [1]
are to re-base the patch atop of current master. There's was a bit of
churn in the partition pruning and run-time pruning code last week.
I've re-aligned the new code to account for the work done there.

I'll add this to the July 'fest.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKJS1f_yFC8vVLd3mHP4pxhRgPRKb9hqa4Zv+5v5pko6f038dA@mail.gmail.com

Re: Runtime partition pruning for MergeAppend

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 18/06/18 13:29, David Rowley wrote:
> Back in the v11 cycle, there was just not quite enough time to get the
> MergeAppend run-time partition pruning patch in.
>
> I've attached v24 of this patch.  The only changes done from v23 [1]
> are to re-base the patch atop of current master. There's was a bit of
> churn in the partition pruning and run-time pruning code last week.
> I've re-aligned the new code to account for the work done there.

Looks solid. The only actual bug I see is that this doesn't honor the
enable_partition_pruning GUC, but that's trivial to fix. So fixed that,
reworded some of the comments a tiny bit, and committed. Thanks!

- Heikki

Re: Runtime partition pruning for MergeAppend

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

Back in the v11 cycle, there was just not quite enough time to get the
MergeAppend run-time partition pruning patch in.

I've attached v24 of this patch.  The only changes done from v23 [1]
are to re-base the patch atop of current master. There's was a bit of
churn in the partition pruning and run-time pruning code last week.
I've re-aligned the new code to account for the work done there.

Looks solid. The only actual bug I see is that this doesn't honor the enable_partition_pruning GUC, but that's trivial to fix. So fixed that, reworded some of the comments a tiny bit, and committed. Thanks!

small note

for getting custom plan, you don't need execute 5x now. Just use plan_cache_mode GUC.

Regards

Pavel

- Heikki

Re: Runtime partition pruning for MergeAppend

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On 19 July 2018 at 22:50, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
> Looks solid. The only actual bug I see is that this doesn't honor the
> enable_partition_pruning GUC, but that's trivial to fix. So fixed that,
> reworded some of the comments a tiny bit, and committed. Thanks!

Many thanks for fixing that and pushing.

Re: Runtime partition pruning for MergeAppend

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On 19 July 2018 at 23:22, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> for getting custom plan, you don't need execute 5x now. Just use
> plan_cache_mode GUC.

Yeah. It's good to see that patch in.  I wonder if we should go and
change those tests to get rid of the 5x EXECUTEs before the actual
test.

Re: Runtime partition pruning for MergeAppend

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On 19 July 2018 at 22:50, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
> Looks solid. The only actual bug I see is that this doesn't honor the
> enable_partition_pruning GUC, but that's trivial to fix. So fixed that,
> reworded some of the comments a tiny bit, and committed. Thanks!

I just noticed I managed to miss updating "Append" to  "MergeAppend"
when copying a comment out of nodeAppend.c into nodeMergeAppend.c. I
see you noticed it but accidentally updated the comment in
nodeAppend.c.

The attached fixes.

Re: Runtime partition pruning for MergeAppend

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 19/07/18 15:36, David Rowley wrote:
> I just noticed I managed to miss updating "Append" to  "MergeAppend"
> when copying a comment out of nodeAppend.c into nodeMergeAppend.c. I
> see you noticed it but accidentally updated the comment in
> nodeAppend.c.

D'oh! Fixed, thanks.

- Heikki