Обсуждение: Using GIT to caught delta between database versions

Using GIT to caught delta between database versions

От
Łukasz Jarych
Дата:
Hi Guys,

how use git to catch delta between database versions?

As version i will do schemas.
So we have version one, finishing it, and this version should be put in GIT.
And created schema for the version.

Which formats i should use?

pg_dump creates only binary files? (i should use text file here).

Best,
Jacek

Re: Using GIT to caught delta between database versions

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 06/13/2018 10:42 AM, Łukasz Jarych wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> how use git to catch delta between database versions?

Use sqitch?:

https://sqitch.org/

> As version i will do schemas.
> So we have version one, finishing it, and this version should be put in
> GIT.
> And created schema for the version.
>
> Which formats i should use?
>
> pg_dump creates only binary files? (i should use text file here).

It will create text files, that is actually the default:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/app-pgdump.html

-F format
--format=format

     Selects the format of the output. format can be one of the following:

     plain

         Output a plain-text SQL script file (the default).

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Using GIT to caught delta between database versions

От
Łukasz Jarych
Дата:
Hi Adrian,

thank you .

why i should use sqitch or any other software to catch the delta?

When i will export plan-text SQL , git should catch delta automatically?
Can you please explain it?

Best,
Jacek

[...]

Дата:
On 06/13/2018 11:13 AM, Łukasz Jarych wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> thank you .
>
> why i should use sqitch or any other software to catch the delta?
>
> When i will export plan-text SQL , git should catch delta automatically?
> Can you please explain it?

You are correct Git will catch the changes in the plain text files.

What is nice about Sqitch and similar tools is they offer additional
functionality, such as deploying to different servers(production, dev,
testing, etc), declaring dependencies between changes, rolling back
individual changes, etc. To get a sense of what is possible take a look
here:

https://metacpan.org/pod/sqitchtutorial

I have found it very useful. It comes down to individual preference.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Using GIT to caught delta between database versions

От
Łukasz Jarych
Дата:
thank you Adrian,